Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Didn't ride this last weekend.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-11, 11:28 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Had a little Party for Bonfire night in the garden so Saturday was getting everything ready for it. Sunday and that Rider I met on Asdown Forest was down to ride with mick so I found the excuse of having to clear up after the party.

So Mick-my Neighbour-Mike Pashler who is a fit Mountain biker and Mike the new rider joined up with Martyn who is another fit mountain biker for a ride round our lanes. That new rider-Mike is fit. He killed all of them.

I told them they were mad to go out with him but I did ask that they come round after the ride to help me take down a Gazebo. They did not appear. Talked to Martyn and this new rider went off like a rocket and like fools they tried to stay with him. By the time they got to Eastbourne and Coffee they were dead. So they took him up a hill and he still lost them.

So thank you Guy Fawkes--You got me out of a nasty ride that would have meant that the garden would not have been cleared. Sometimes it is wise to be a Wooss

Spike Milligan
Old 11-07-11, 02:35 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Last Laugh

Just been over to see my Neighbour and "Fast Mike" is a work colleague of his. Fast Mike was limping badly today and getting out of his chair a bit gingerly. He finally admitted that being "Macho" yesterday has hurt him a bit.His lower back is in pain from sitting in the saddle on the hills instead of out of the saddle and his Thighs are killing him.

Spike Milligan
Old 11-07-11, 08:22 PM
Eclecticaleliptic!

Bikes: Cannondale MT1000 (1986 "birthday" for him!) Dawes Giro 500 (also 80's) Ridgeback Voyager (2010/11 model)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HMMMmmmm reminds me of how me and stoker felt after we made a wrong turn or two on a ride recently in West Sussex - what started out as a gentle 25 mile spin into Arundel ended up being a 58 mile time trial against the setting sun after ending up descending Bignor Hill from the South Downs! I'm thinking you may have some idea of the terrain we encountered, and on a tandem there's some serious pain to big climbs! A massive credit to my stoker for putting up with my poor navigation and tolerating the way we had to burn up the last twenty miles home to make (most of) it before sunset!

I'll have enough posts to PM you after this one, I have the drum and hub now and would be very interested in those Ryno rims you mentioned - would a mavic XC 717 and/or rigida 21 wheel be of any interest as swaps? I have them going spare since the death of my old Ridgeback 501 last week No idea when I can make the time for the run down that way, but I'll make the time to pick up those rims.... or cover postage/courier if you can send them
Old 11-08-11, 03:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Man oh man, you English guys are having way too much fun
Old 11-09-11, 08:13 AM
Northern Rider

Bikes: 1999 Litespeed Tuscany 105, 2007 Marin Palisades Trail, 2006 Burley Duet tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 811 Times in 203 Posts
Some say Guy Fawkes was the only man to have entered the British Parliament with honest intentions (to blow the place up!). Others would call him a terrorist.

I lived in Portsmouth for a while have my own great memories of riding the South Downs.