Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Age-related physical limitations

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-11, 02:21 PM

Location: Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama

Bikes: Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Now that I'm at the threshold of turning 65, I'm realizing that I'm not 19 anymore. Not even 29 or 39. Things have started happening to my body and I really don't like it. So here in this Fifty Plus group, I'm looking for moral support and maybe some suggestions with how to cope.

I have a stent in one of my coronary arteries and I think I may be needing another soon. My left knee is gone, which is why I bicycle instead of walk (to keep the weight off the knee). I've crushed my perianal tissues so long that I have urinary tract infections and strictures grow to block. And my hearing is bad enough that I have two hearing aids.

Maybe of all the things that bother me, it's the crushed urethra, and the bad hearing. If I wear my hearing aids out on the bike I get a ton of wind noise. If I don't wear the hearing aids, I'm not good at picking up on cars approaching from behind.

So, all you wise and informed mature folks - how do you cope? What are you experiencing, and how are you dealing with it to stay on the bike?
Old 11-20-11, 03:27 PM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm 54 yrs old and in relatively good health so I can't give you any advice on how to cope with limitations you are speaking of, but I can tell you that when I read posts on this forum about guys in their 60's, 70's and beyond still rideing bikes on roads and trails, I am truly inspired by the courage and determination it takes to continue on despite limitations brought on by age. I hope and pray that I can continue for a few more decades of rideing.
Old 11-20-11, 03:38 PM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by teachme
...I am truly inspired by the courage and determination it takes to continue on despite limitations brought on by age. I hope and pray that I can continue for a few more decades of rideing.
+1.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 11-20-11 at 03:52 PM.
Old 11-20-11, 03:50 PM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by xizangstan
If I don't wear the hearing aids, I'm not good at picking up on cars approaching from behind.
Have you tried a helmet mounted mirror? I find it far more effective than, say, the rear view mirrors in a car.

As I was sitting in church I was thinking about this. I'm 49 and was looking at some the older folks and their limitations and thought what if I couldn't ride anymore? I think first of all I would find a way to ride.... some way, any way. If that failed, I would have to enlist a friend to ride for me and report back on his rides.

I've thought about this in my own experience lately.... I popped a tendon in my arm (I think what I actually did was rupture a minor tendon). I thought what if I become more susceptible to this as I grow older? That could keep me off the bike. That would suck.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

Last edited by Doohickie; 11-20-11 at 03:54 PM.
Old 11-20-11, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Not even 29 or 39.
Hmmm...? My wife has been 39 for several years now, or at least that's what she alleges.

With regard to other issues, I can relate to the hearing (or lack of) business. I think I have chronic, terminal tinnitus. My ears ring 24 x7, so loud that I'm surprised you can't hear them now, without your hearing aids.

I suppose you get the stuff fixed that can be fixed and ride through the rest of it.

Keep riding.
Old 11-20-11, 04:03 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
64 and had a bypass- had Prostate cancer and have had a dodgy knee (s) for 40 years.

At age 59 I decided to stop doing the offroad Enduros and that was my downfall. Not by stopping the enduros- ---- but by stopping the hard training that they require all year round. I have slowed down tremendously in those years but I retire next year. I will have time to get on the bike more and "Possibly" do a Metric Version of the big ride I used to do.

But I still ride- perhaps not as often as I should but todays ride pointed out one thing to me. I can still get up the hills- I can still pass on advice to other riders and I still enjoy riding. Perhaps not as fast as I used to be but the joy of getting up the "High and Over" this morning on a compact crank when everyone else had a triple made me realise that I still have a few more years of riding to come before I hang up my cleats.

Spike Milligan
Old 11-20-11, 04:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tomorrow I will be 10 years older than you. I am in healing and rehabilitation from a major accident and follow on surgery. So, let me pass on some thoughts for you to consider as "the kid on the block"

Each person has to grapple with their particular flavor of physical difficulties. I think that sooner or later everyone who doesn't die on a bike has to face not being able to ride. For some changes will come gradually. For others changes will come quickly as a matter of disease or accident.

We recognize that whether we want to acknowledge it or not the bodies in which we live are more fragile and require a bit more maintenance than they once did. Malfunctions or accidents we once shrugged off are now significant problems.

But, what matters is that we never, never give up. We don't listen to those who say we should slow down because we are older. We nod politely and then ignore the "for your own good" advice given by medical and social service professionals.

Each person must decide for themself how important the prospect the prospect is of long longevity. Keeping in mind most of us do not know how many days or years we have. That determines what kinds of things we will and will not do. In my personal case longevity, while important, has never been The Goal. For me The Goal has been a mix of making significant contribution to the society in which I live and exploring.

One of my MDs told me the other day that I should never ride long miles or ride in a place I could fall or could be hit by a motor vehicle. He said that to do any of those things could bring a fatal collision or circumstance. If I wanted to live long I should avoid hazardous situations like those. My decision may not be correct for someone else; but I'm ignoring his advice.

Lastly, support by family, friends, even internet aquaintances is very important. In that respect you have done what you should have done; ask for that support.

Bests
Old 11-20-11, 04:16 PM

Bikes: 2014 ICE Spring FSX

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride with a 72 year old gent that has hearing aids that are digital, and he claims they cut down on wind noise drastically. I also, agree that the helmet mounted mirror has helped me greatly, over a handlebar mounted version. Most of all, keep riding as much as you possibly can.
Old 11-20-11, 04:16 PM

Bikes: Terratrike Tour, recumbent tadpole tricycle.

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Though I'm only 51, my inner ear and balance has become a bit dodgy in the past year or so. I switched to a recumbent trike. Without it I probably would have been off the bike indefinitely. I used to ride pell-mell everywhere on my ten speed, but now I take my time, and that is easy on a three wheeler. Even on days I am not feeling my best, I'll go on a short ride on the path, and avoid the streets. Better than not riding at all. On my good days, I'm out and about on the trike for hours. I hope to be able to pedal right up to the last day of my life.

I have a handlebar mounted mirror on the right side, and a mirror on my sunglasses. Very helpful, since a lot of cars nowadays don't make much noise as it is.

Last edited by WPeabody; 11-20-11 at 04:19 PM.
Old 11-20-11, 04:28 PM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Even if you don't have any major physical limitations, as you approach 65, the limiting factor is the recovery rate after a long and strenuous effort. I recall basketball player Charles Barkley saying that is evident when a player gets in his 30's. Back to back games on the road were the sign for him.

You may be able to hang with the younger riders, but not the repeated singular attacks on a 40 or so mile group fast ride. Yesterday I met an Australian couple visiting So Calif and they told me Cadel Evans is a cancer survivor. He's 34.
Old 11-20-11, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8278 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Crushed urethra? Sounds like you should have addressed that sooner, maybe an SMP saddle?
I'm 57, but I've abused my body quite a bit over the years with smoking, drinking, obesity and general self loathing. I'm happy to be able to ride like I do, although lately I seem to be slowing down some and having more trouble recovering.
Old 11-20-11, 04:41 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Nice post by HawkOwl. With clever engineering bikes can accommodate riders with a variety of issues.

I thought the end of the world would come if I ever had to get a 'bent. So I got a 'bent, and life goes on. I actually think they are pretty cool.

But the day will come when you, I, and everyone out there will have to hang up their Sidis. If we're fortunate we'll find some other diversion.

Old 11-20-11, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am 57 wear two hearing aids(since I was 40) , I know exactly what you mean about wind noise, and digitals (90% of todays) do not reduce it enough. I also had a stent put in in June as well as a pacemaker 3 Weeks ago, that gizmo only kicks in the event of slow heart beat... you are not alone man! I have no restrictions though, I am out there daily, getting cold though...
Old 11-20-11, 05:58 PM
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
I'm pushing 64. Four stents - they are bionic, so I don't thi k about them when I ride. They are part of the reason I can ride, and I don't hold anyback because of those little tubes.

As for the hearing aid issue, being able to hear approaching traffic isn't going to save your hinie. You aren't going to ride off the side of the road because you hear a motor vehicle approaching, and you'll never know if or when a car is about to hit you, anyway.

It's legal to drive a car when we are deaf, and it's no different on a bike. I say, unless it's illegal in your jurisdiction - and maybe even if it isn't - crank up your headphones with some classic rock and just ride. ;-)
Old 11-20-11, 06:53 PM
alpine cross trainer

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Quintara Roo Sendoza, DaVici In-2-Ition Tandem,

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 8 Posts
I'm 63, This year I found that I cycled better if I did my normal cycle route every other day. I found that I could go harder longer during my interval training with a day of rest between. When I was riding every day, my body eventually rebelled, especially if I had lot's of other physical chores to do.
Old 11-20-11, 06:55 PM

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Ruby Pro aka "Rhubarb" / and a backup road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Don't let your age tell you what you can/can't do.
That's what your knees are for.

I've known some amazing people in their 90's and up.
Keeping active however they could was essential to their quality of life.
Old 11-20-11, 07:50 PM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
. . . . . So, all you wise and informed mature folks - how do you cope? What are you experiencing, and how are you dealing with it to stay on the bike?
You already know one of the prime secrets. Ride, ride ride!

At age 65 my health is undeservedly excellent. Because of greatly increased physical activity, much of it cycling, I'm in much better shape than I was ten or even fifteen years ago.
Old 11-20-11, 08:08 PM
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
72 in Feb. and I know what you are talking about. Its been too long since I did my last century for sure. Although my issues have been mostly my thyroid yo yoing. Doctors just can't seem to get the right dosage for very long. Just ride as long as you can, as often as you can, and as far as you can. Good luck.
Old 11-20-11, 08:52 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
I'm 64. Every year some new ache develops or some condition appears that I've never had. I just chalk it all up to age and keep on doing what I like to do as long as it doesn't hurt too much. Fortunately, I can eat and drink anything--no dietary restrictions-- so I take a lot of pleasure in eating and drinking, especially drinking. I guess I'll continue to cycle, ski, hike, kayak etc. until I can't do these things anymore. I am much more content now with shorter, easier distances in all these things. I think aging is a royal pain in the ass, but there is nothing else to do but to keep on doing the things one loves to the best of one's abilities. Hang in there.
Old 11-20-11, 09:16 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
As I turned 64>65, I went through sort of a "blues - depression" thingie - heck I even posted about it here. Be warned,there IS life after 65 .

I think it is important to not overwork one part of your body to the neglect of the rest. There is a lot of research and evidence (but at 72, you can say those kinds of "reseacrh" and "evidence" things and tell anyone who challenges what you state to go fly a kite) that a variety of exercise is the best way to go.

So, you find me doing a lot of swimming, a lot of walking, mucho stretching, a mess of resistance exercises, and, of course, bicycling.

Currently, my home situation is such that - given the extreme daily afternoon pain my wife goes through, and her need for my support - my bicycling hours are pretty restricted. However, I can sneak in a lot of other exercises, and I do.

For example, I got up at 5:30 am today, and was at 24 hour fitness for a 45 minite swim at 6:00 am. My wife was asleep. I finished and callled her at 7:00 am to awken her for church. I returned home, and we both went to church at 8:30 am. at noon, we went for a 2 mile walk, as her afternoon PHN pain had not yet started.

Yesterday, I did spinning on my trainer for 45 minutes, and a lot of stretching and weight llifted - yesterday emphasizing bench press. I vary the type of resistance training, giving about 4-5 days between re-exercising a given muscle group. I do many different exercises. On my 72nd birthday, I did 72 consecutive pushups.

My point is that I believe by working your body in different dimensions, you make it easier on the entire body while strengthening the entire body at the same time.

As far as my physical well-being. I hear well, I have a cataract that needs treatment. My left hip is hirting a bit under stress and my lower back is a bit tight, and I am seeing my physical therapist tomorrow to see about some more stretching.

ALong the way, I have had brain surgery for Trigeminal Neuralgia, an ablation for atrial fibrillation and a L4-L5 fusion. I have had no broken bones except a toe when I was showing my son how to do a handstand.

An accident or illness can happen at ANY age. It has little to do with getting old. If anything, the more reckless young are more likely to have an accident.

I feel great, and just keep going one-day-at-a-time.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 11-20-11 at 09:32 PM.
Old 11-20-11, 09:18 PM

Bikes: '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '88 Trek 400T, '88 Diamondback Ascent EX, '56 Raleigh Superbe, '73/60 Raleigh Sports

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Very timely thread. As a 66 year old with better then deserved health I have been experiencing a lot of pain in left hip for the last few months. Visit to doctor confirmed my suspicions of arthiritis and was basically told nothing can be done until it gets worse. Doc told me to keep riding the bike but no more running. Most frustrating thing is difficulty putting on sock and tying shoe laces on left foot due to range of motion loss. Does not bother me in normal activities such as walking or riding the bike. If I don't ride for a few days it really stiffens up and gets sore.

So I say all that to say +1 on previous advice keep riding.
Old 11-20-11, 09:45 PM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Now that I'm at the threshold of turning 65, I'm realizing that I'm not 19 anymore. Not even 29 or 39. Things have started happening to my body and I really don't like it. So here in this Fifty Plus group, I'm looking for moral support and maybe some suggestions with how to cope.

I have a stent in one of my coronary arteries and I think I may be needing another soon. My left knee is gone, which is why I bicycle instead of walk (to keep the weight off the knee). I've crushed my perianal tissues so long that I have urinary tract infections and strictures grow to block. And my hearing is bad enough that I have two hearing aids.

Maybe of all the things that bother me, it's the crushed urethra, and the bad hearing. If I wear my hearing aids out on the bike I get a ton of wind noise. If I don't wear the hearing aids, I'm not good at picking up on cars approaching from behind.

So, all you wise and informed mature folks - how do you cope? What are you experiencing, and how are you dealing with it to stay on the bike?
There are two kinds of people, those who say "I Can't", and those who prove they can, by doing it. One solution for you might be a 'bent to deal with the perianal issues. Get a mirror so you can see the cars behind you, rather then relying on sound and see an Orthopaedic surgeon about that knee. The biggest limiting factor is psychological, when you convince yourself that you are no longer capable, then you become no longer capable. It's like the guy who ran a marathon at age 100, he thought he could do it, and then went ahead and proved that he could.
Old 11-20-11, 10:18 PM

Bikes: 1980 Motobecane Grand Jubilee

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Arthritis at 19, carpal tunnel at 22, broken back at 50, now 54. Pain is only a state of mind. The parts of the body with issues send electrical signals to the mind that we can either choose to ignore or give in to, it's our choice. I've worked electrical construction all of my life and this involved climbing ladders all day. If I let pain decide for me I would have been in a wheelchair long ago. I decided pain would not rule my life and made an epic journey across the US and back, 7600 miles on a hardtail motorcycle only 3 months after the fall that broke my back. This only 4 days after learning to ride, and I went alone with only the items I could carry in my pockets.

Check out this inspirational video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ15m...yer_detailpage

Last edited by Kingshead; 11-20-11 at 10:31 PM.
Old 11-20-11, 10:20 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Turning 79 years young next month. Spouse Kay is 76.
Keep active as much as you can; sure as we age a bit things may not go as well.
Inspite of a some serious health issues we both keep active.
We ride our tandem 4 to 5 days a week together and Rudy also rides single bike for a total of 100/125 a week.
Yes we are both cancer survivors and have some other issues.
It is not what you can't do . . . but what you can do. So do it!!!
Growin' old is not for sissies!
Pedal on TWOgether!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem
Old 11-20-11, 11:40 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
What's that old Lemond quote? Something about it not hurting less, you just go faster. Nowadays, I think it should be amended. I don't go any faster, it just hurts more. It's a good thing I enjoy pain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.