Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Fast tires, slow tires... does it really matter?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Fast tires, slow tires... does it really matter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-11, 06:42 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
As opposed to low pressure? There is a reason why your car will generate more MPG when tires are inflated properly (I suppose that might translate to better rolling resistance in a bicycle tire). I've kept my PSI just under 100psi and dealt with the increased road feel.
For a car, proper inflation is the pressure specified on the door, not the max psi printed on the sidewall. Same for your bike. Proper inflation depends on the load. Above that pressure, you will get an increasingly harsh ride but will not experience lower rolling resistance.
Old 12-18-11, 07:05 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Any tire I ride on will be noticeably slower than the tires ridden by the guys who are faster than me.
Old 12-18-11, 08:23 PM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have raced on Conti GP 4000S tires the past 2 years. I don't think there is much of a noticeable difference between comparable branded tires. I think tire pressure needs to be adjusted to the surface. Too much air pressure on a rough chip/seal road will cause the wheel to constantly bounce which robs speed. Too little air pressure causes the tire to flex creating friction which also robs speed. The rider needs to consider the conditions and find the happy medium.
Old 12-18-11, 08:53 PM

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
We all know there is no answer to the tire question don't we? Conti 4000 is a fine tire. Still no one is likely to change their opinion on air pressure or how wide a tire should be.
Old 12-18-11, 09:29 PM
Hills!

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2005 Marin Novato, Trek 7100

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by AzTallRider
OP, are you sure he was referring to your tires, and not your wheels? I ask because you mentioned he had "Zips", and Zipp is known more for their wheels than their tires. Plus the GP400S is very well respected by the racing crowd.
Most definitely. He said they (Zipps) came in tubular and clincher.

https://www.zipp.com/accessories/tires.php

I guess this is what he was talking about. I see they even include an inflation chart:

Last edited by speedlever; 12-18-11 at 09:32 PM.
Old 12-18-11, 09:46 PM
Hills!

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Well. I obviously haven't shopped for tires for a while. My Conti GP4000s are $100 for a twin pack at PBK. Last time I bought they were about $83 total charges. The Zipps are $75/ea.

A bit of sticker shock here...

Edit: I see the Michelin PR3 are about $40/tire at PBK. Plus my CC transaction fees.

Last edited by speedlever; 12-18-11 at 09:58 PM.
Old 12-18-11, 09:48 PM
Hills!

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Any tire I ride on will be noticeably slower than the tires ridden by the guys who are faster than me.
Yes, I believe that is also the truism that I ride by.
Old 12-19-11, 01:20 AM

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by StanSeven
If you're riding Conti GP4000S in the 23 size, there aren't many faster tires and the differences are so small only a machine could measure. As far as pressure, there's nothing wrong with inflating near or at max. Some people use less just to improve comfort and the pressure depends upon weight.
This is almost exactly what I was about to post. So I'll expand just a little:

a). GP4000Ss are among the "fastest" tires out there - insofar as tires can indeed be "fast".

b). The 25 / 23 measurement will make a difference, though there's be some debate about exactly what the difference is - with some arguing that 25s are faster. (I disagree - 23s are faster.)

c). Tire pressure will make far more difference that a change in tire manufacturer.

All IM(very)HO
Old 12-19-11, 07:30 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
In the last test I read the Continental GP 4000 was rated a hair slower in a coast down than the new Michelin Pro4 Race Course. Not enough difference for me to notice I assure you. I had the GP 4000 on my R500 for several years and went to the Michelin Pro3
Service Course last December, when I needed new tires. Amazon had a super deal on the Pro3 and I grabbed 3 of them, sized 700CX23, with Michelin tubes. the Michelin Pro3 is feeling good to me but so did the Continental GP 4000.

I could understand his statement if he was talking about wheelsets and the Zipp is a super wheelset. It is "Available in both tubular and clincher" could apply to the wheelset also. Your GP 4000 is a fine tire and I doubt you will feel much difference between them and another top line clincher tire in either 23 or 25.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 12-19-11, 08:54 AM
Hills!

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
snip

I could understand his statement if he was talking about wheelsets and the Zipp is a super wheelset. It is "Available in both tubular and clincher" could apply to the wheelset also. Your GP 4000 is a fine tire and I doubt you will feel much difference between them and another top line clincher tire in either 23 or 25.

Bill
That is true. However, I am sure he was talking about the tires themselves. He said they only had one tire that came in both clincher and tubular. That's pretty specific... and is true, whereas their wheelsets are numerous.

I didn't think to check Amazon's pricing. I see I can get either the Conti GP4000s or the Michelin Pro Race 3 700cX23 for within pennies of each other... ~$45/ea. I'm surprised they beat PBK on the Contis.
Old 12-19-11, 10:07 AM
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tubular vs. clincher relates to the wheel, so I'd give really good odds that he was talking about the whole shebang; that you would be faster with a set of good wheels, fitted with the appropriate tires. Most people who ride Zipp wheels don't ride Zipp tires. In fact, I've seen a whole lot of Zipp wheels in races and group rides, and I've never once seen a Zipp tire, even in a shop. Carbon tubular wheels, with appropriate tires (most people mount either Vittoria or Continental), provide the fastest combination of low weight and low rolling resistance, and I'm guessing that's his point.
Old 12-19-11, 10:10 AM
I need speed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by speedlever
That is true. However, I am sure he was talking about the tires themselves. He said they only had one tire that came in both clincher and tubular. That's pretty specific... and is true, whereas their wheelsets are numerous.

I didn't think to check Amazon's pricing. I see I can get either the Conti GP4000s or the Michelin Pro Race 3 700cX23 for within pennies of each other... ~$45/ea. I'm surprised they beat PBK on the Contis.
Every now and then PBK has a deal on twin packs of the Conti's which, when combioned with their frequent percentage discounts, gets the price down below $40, with no tax or shipping.
Old 12-19-11, 10:11 AM
I need speed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If this is true, then write him off as a dufus and don't listen to him.
Old 12-19-11, 12:16 PM
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
I like fiddling around with things like tire pressure, rotating weight and rolling resistance. I am still riding about as fast/slow as ever, but I like fiddling.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 12-19-11, 12:29 PM
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by choteau
in a perfect world in a velodrome with perfect surface a skinny tire pumped to the max WILL be faster than one aired up for ride comfort.
Back when I was racing, the team I was on rode the UCI Masters World Track Championships in Manchester. We used 135-gram tubulars pumped to 180 pounds (and that was the minimum; some guys had theirs to over 200!) for the wooden track. They sure felt faster than 240-gram clinchers at 120 lbs!

L.
Old 12-19-11, 12:30 PM
Hills!

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by AzTallRider
If this is true, then write him off as a dufus and don't listen to him.
Ah, he's a nice guy with an opinion... just like the rest of us.

Originally Posted by Daspydyr
I like fiddling around with things like tire pressure, rotating weight and rolling resistance. I am still riding about as fast/slow as ever, but I like fiddling.
That pretty well sums it up for me too. I'm about the same speed as always (but live in eternal hope), and enjoy fiddling with things to, if nothing else, make them psychologically better.
Old 12-19-11, 12:31 PM
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Fas tires or slow tires, does it really matter? Not to me. reliable, thats what matters to me. Of course who wants a slow tire?
Old 12-19-11, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
For a car, proper inflation is the pressure specified on the door, not the max psi printed on the sidewall. Same for your bike. Proper inflation depends on the load. Above that pressure, you will get an increasingly harsh ride but will not experience lower rolling resistance.
Since I've had a MPG gauge in my car I've noted that I get better mileage when the tires are inflated considerably above the level recommended on the door jam by the manufacturer. That's also been the experience of others seeking higher mileage:
https://www.hybridcars.com/gas-saving...ota-prius.html
"
Tire pressure (i.e., rolling resistance) has a significant influence on fuel economy, and an obvious impact on safety and the quality of your ride. Do the research, and make your own decisions about how far to take the tire pressure to maximize mileage.
Drivers getting the highest mileage recommend using the recommended maximum tire pressure on the sidewalls—not the psi supplied by the automaker on the doorframe."

Obviously for both cars and bikes there are other considerations besides minimizing rolling resistance such as comfort, traction, chance of blowouts (esp. when going well above the max. rating on the sidewall), tire wear, etc.
Old 12-19-11, 03:35 PM

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2602 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts
GP4000s are lightning quick compared to some heavy touring tires. (Schwalbe Marathon comes to mind.)

If you were with the group at the end of the ride, what more do you want? If you were to go off and leave them all behind, you'd have to work a whole lot harder. So smile, thank him for that generous advice, and then ignore the guy.
Old 12-19-11, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4231 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
changing wheels will have more of an impact (both on your speed and wallet) than changing your tires. Maybe this guy had a spare set of tires his wife was making him get rid of?

Old 12-19-11, 04:03 PM
Semper Fi

Glad you found a good price at Amazon. You might shop around, someone said they found the new Pro4 in a 2 pack for $100.00 online somewhere. I have liked the Pro3 in the service Course variant. If you want an absolute racing tire try the Pro4 in the Race Course variant. I carry one folded with a spare tube in my under seat bag.

You still may want to talk to him about wheelsets if you are still on your stock wheelsets. I am looking into some Ritchey wheeelsets that will save me quite a few grams.

Bill

Old 12-19-11, 04:11 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
This year I was Lapped (about 5 times) by a young woman on a Cannondale T-1 touring bike with heavy tires.
My other bike is a T-1.

Her She is:

Rear Rack, Back Pack, 700 X 35 tires

It's all in that butt!
Old 12-19-11, 06:56 PM

Bikes: Soma Stanyan

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You have a hard time believing tires make a difference??? I am shocked! Shocked! Haven't you been reading the ads, and the testimonials, following the tour riders on twitter? Are you that out of touch with the latest rubber technology and active secret compounds (Black Chili etc.). Get with it, why I have a good mind to report you to the Michelin Man immediately!
Old 12-19-11, 07:12 PM
Hills!

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Sigh. I am so without a clue.
Old 12-20-11, 07:10 AM
Semper Fi

Sigh. I am so without a clue.
Welcome to my world speedlever!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.