Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   You Convinced me to Buy a Road Bike/ Roubaix Comp Compact (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/788494-you-convinced-me-buy-road-bike-roubaix-comp-compact.html)

Gpaw44 12-24-11 12:40 PM

You Convinced me to Buy a Road Bike/ Roubaix Comp Compact

Merry Christmas to all and I hope you are having a nice Holiday. Thanks for all the replies to my first post, you convinced me to buy a Road bike. I found a 2011 Roubaix embeComp Compact Specialized Sites I find all different colors for this bike. Does anyone remember if they came in Carbon/black? How do you like your Specialized bike or is anyone riding a Roubaix Comp. Would like to hear from all on your thoughts or suggestions. One reason I did not go with the LBS because of their BS (Big Stories), I figured I could get my size and then tweek the bike to fit! Thanks, for all you Ideas.

dbg 12-24-11 01:07 PM

At the risk of restarting a debate... I think LBS's are too quick to sell people tight geometry racing bikes that use 23's and barely fit 25 tires. 23's are OK on a perfect road but they SUCK when you're rolling over road joints and chop. I did my annual Wisconsin trip last year on a trek 5900 superlight with 23's. I loved how responsive the bike was in tight spots but overall I hated the 23's. And it barely fits 25's. I MUCH prefer a road setup with plenty of tire clearance and I think 32's are a MUCH better riding experience. Unfortunately that rules out almost every "road" bike except touring specific geometries or cyclocross frames.

If you get a tight racing frame but just do tours, I think you're making a mistake you'll regret. Find a cyclocross or touring frame or something that allows you to use bigger tires.

Dudelsack 12-24-11 01:08 PM

Remember the prime directive: post pictures of purchased bike within 24 hours or risk seizure of said bike by the 50+ Photo Patrol.

Dudelsack 12-24-11 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by dbg (Post 13636755)
If you get a tight racing frame but just do tours, I think you're making a mistake you'll regret. Find a cyclocross or touring frame or something that allows you to use bigger tires.

Heck, just bag the whole thing and get a recumbent.

BikeWNC 12-24-11 01:17 PM

If you ride a 58cm I have a frameset you could buy. Then you could outfit it they way you want.

dbg 12-24-11 01:21 PM

I rode a recumbent on my annual trip a few years back. (flames >>/dev/null) Here's my problem with recumbents:
1) they are faster on descents (and flats too maybe) but slower on climbs. When riding with a group this creates a yo-yo effect that is no fun at all.
2) they don't take bumps well at all. I can rise out of the saddle and use my legs as suspension on regular bikes. On recumbents you just slam into the bump.
3) they don't start well from a dead stop on an uphill with lots of other bikes around you.

sorry. been there. didn't like it. (Burley Canto, 600 mile trip)

stapfam 12-24-11 03:19 PM

The Roubaix would be a good choice but others can tell you about the spec and age of what you have found--And the price if required.

But there is only going to be one way to check this bike out and that is test ride it. If you are not mechanically minded there are some pitfalls in buying a used bike so if possible- Take a mate along who knows bikes.

But post pics and a better spec of what you have found so others that know the Roubaix can comment.

Mobile 155 12-24-11 03:40 PM

The Rubaix is a fine choice. Less agressive than the Tarmac and a good century bike. Since the S works Tarmac came in Black CF I believe the Roubaix does as well. It will take 25s just fine and feel very responsive. They were designed to be easier on the rider over average pavement. Think of why they named it the Roubaix. Not the smoothest part of the TDF.

BluesDawg 12-24-11 03:43 PM

Are you buying a used bike? No legit seller will sell new Specialized bikes online. I would be very careful if the bike does not match the online color or other spec. 2011 Roubaix Comp Compacts were red/white or black/white. Carbon/black was offered in the Elite (lower model) or Expert (higher). Concerns about bikes with tight geometry and skinny tires are way off base when discussing a Roubaix.

AzTallRider 12-24-11 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by dbg (Post 13636755)
At the risk of restarting a debate... I think LBS's are too quick to sell people tight geometry racing bikes that use 23's and barely fit 25 tires. 23's are OK on a perfect road but they SUCK when you're rolling over road joints and chop. I did my annual Wisconsin trip last year on a trek 5900 superlight with 23's. I loved how responsive the bike was in tight spots but overall I hated the 23's. And it barely fits 25's. I MUCH prefer a road setup with plenty of tire clearance and I think 32's are a MUCH better riding experience. Unfortunately that rules out almost every "road" bike except touring specific geometries or cyclocross frames.

Apparently you are unfamiliar with the Roubaix. It has a fairly relaxed geometry, and has won every "smooth riding" test I've read, as that's what it is designed for. It is considered by many to be the 'ultimate century bike'. It also comes stock with 700x25s, which are all it needs to provide a really comfy ride.

Gpaw44 12-24-11 07:24 PM

BluesDawg will you contact me at amccollister44@gmail.com

qcpmsame 12-24-11 07:54 PM

As said gpaw, I'd be wary of an online "New" Specialized sale. their dealership agreements don't allow an authorized dealer to do this. Go with Blues dawg's input, please.

Bill

GFish 12-24-11 08:24 PM

In 2010, the Specialized Roubaix carbon came in flat black. I have no idea on 2011. I test road the 2010 model and thought the Roubaix was a much more comfortable ride versus the aluminum Alez.

dbg 12-24-11 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by AzTallRider (Post 13637349)
Apparently you are unfamiliar with the Roubaix. It has a fairly relaxed geometry, and has won every "smooth riding" test I've read, as that's what it is designed for. It is considered by many to be the 'ultimate century bike'. It also comes stock with 700x25s, which are all it needs to provide a really comfy ride.

I didn't see anything in the 2011 Robaix Comp line that came with a 25 tire. And the 23's look pretty tight to me.
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...7&menuItemId=0

Gpaw44 12-24-11 08:34 PM

It's listed on Craigslist as bought in March of 2011 as a new bike! I am trying to educate myself as if this is really a 2011 bike!! When I do a search the only date I see on the Specalized page is at the bottom of the page and it shows to be 2011! A lot of good suggestions and I thank you! Please check out the link below and give me your thoughts if it is in fact a 2011 or 2010! Thanks agian

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...01&scname=Road

dbg 12-24-11 08:39 PM

Before I start a war here, I want to say I'm actually a fan of the Robaix. When those zerts inserts first came around I liked the idea and lusted after a high end model. I've been riding 25's for a long time, but last year's trip on 23's really made me wonder. Next year I'm swapping out the 25's on my trusty old Lemond 853 BA touring setup and checking out some 650B 32's just to see how they feel.

dbg 12-24-11 08:46 PM

And just so you know I'm not falsely blow-harding about 32's... I do 90% of my workout rides on an old single speed riding 32's --and I love that ride. I'm finally starting to question why I go back to 25's on all my touring trips when enjoy those 32's so much.

GFish 12-24-11 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Gpaw44 (Post 13637846)
It's listed on Craigslist as bought in March of 2011 as a new bike! I am trying to educate myself as if this is really a 2011 bike!! When I do a search the only date I see on the Specalized page is at the bottom of the page and it shows to be 2011! A lot of good suggestions and I thank you! Please check out the link below and give me your thoughts if it is in fact a 2011 or 2010! Thanks agian

According to Bikepedia, the bike in the link is the 2012 model. Check out the models for 2010 and 2011 on the BP site, perhaps you'll find the answer there.

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...pact&Type=bike

BluesDawg 12-24-11 09:49 PM

That link is to the current page which shows 2012 models. From that page you can click on "menu" in the upper left corner of the page, then click on "bikes", then "archive", then choose a year and you can see any bike they sold in that model year.

Mobile 155 12-24-11 10:45 PM

A: The key is you have found a bike you like. B: If it is in good shape and the price is right there is little difference between a 2010 and a 2011. (it has to fit however) C: There is reason for concern if it is Craigs list but some dealers do sell on line but direct you to their store. We have a Trek dealer in town that puts ads in Craigs list all the time. They just don't ship on line. D: 25s will easily fit on a Roubaix. If you are like so many of us it took a long time to decide on a road bike. Once you have narrowed it down to one or two bikes research those bikes and get your best deal. It is easier to do when you are dealing with a LBS. But if you have your doubts take someone that knows about the Roubaix with you and look at the machine.

PS if you notice the specs on the Roubiax you posted it comes with 25s standard.

qcpmsame 12-25-11 09:12 AM

Okay, I missed the Craig's List part. If a dealer put one on Craig's List I would venture that it doesn't violate the web sales edict. Especially if it is a left over or perhaps a quickie return. If it fits and works for you the Roubaix is a super bike and everyone I know with one swears by the Zerts technology in the forks and seat stays.

Bill

roadiespinner 01-18-12 11:53 PM

I have two Roubaix Comps, both triples, love them both.

digibud 01-19-12 02:25 AM

I'm 60. My wife and I got Roubaix/Ruby bikes last Spring. I can't tell you how much I like this bike. I've gone through a few saddle choices and am currently using a Specialized Romin Gel. I have stock wheels (as well as a pair of 36 spoked wheels I laced for mountain decents 'cause I weigh in around 225. Sadly not 226 lbs of muscle. Being overweight affects everything cycle related, but it's coming down.
My longest day on my Roubaix is 131 miles, involving some decent hills. It was a one-way shot to home after being dropped off outside town or I would have just continued. My butt hurt at times, of course, but the bike really is comfortable. I have two torn rotator cuffs and I have not been on a more forgiving and comfortable bike.
When talking relaxed geometry bikes, which this is to a point, it's still a racing-relaxed build, as opposed to a touring-relaxed bike. I'm guessing that's what one of the previous posters may have been alluding to. I had a Trek 720 years ago and put many miles on it, fully loaded and I have to say that I think my Roubaix is even more comfortable to ride than that classic touring bike. I didn't own them together so I dunno...
This summer I'm going to try a 150mi ride on my bike. Chump change for some but a decent challenge for me at this time. Back to the Roubaix...we have some world class lousy highway surfaces in Alaska and the Roubaix does really, really nicely on rough roads. It really is true. My wife and I have triples. Shimano 105, Black and White. Mine is a 58cm. I think hers is 48cm. Maybe 50...
We just got back from a weeks biking vacation in Tucson and the bikes were fantastic on Tucson's sometimes rough roads. We use Conti 4000s when the roads are good. On rough roads and/or dirty roads we use Gatorskins. Both sets are 25. I inflate my wife's to between 90-100 and mine between 100 and 110. I'm meticulous with the care of our bikes. I would suggest getting appropriate torque wrenches right away. You'll be adjusting seat height and unless you can tell a torque setting by feel...a torque wrench becomes important for bolts that compress carbon fiber like the seatpost, stem, water bottle cages and brake attachments. Add/correct as needed. :) I had to make significant adjustments to the front derailleur on my wife's bike to close the gap...lower the cage so it was very close to the chainring. She dropped her chain from her inner front ring, three times, wedging it against the bottom bracket. Happily my wife very good reactions and never jammed it in there. After carefully adjusting the front derailleur so there was an absolute minimum of clearance, she has never dropped her chain again.
I use Connex connectors on my Roubaix.
And before I forget..."all different colors" isn't possible. Agreed on that.
I have spare chains for both bikes so I swap them out when needed if there's no time for cleaning the chain. When I clean the chains I clean and wax the bikes.
Did you buy the bike? I think Specialized dropped the triple...now they are valued collectors editions.. :)

DX-MAN 01-19-12 07:48 AM

Sorry... didn't mean to do that. I promise, I won't do it again.