Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Joint issues riding a bike

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Joint issues riding a bike

Old 12-26-11, 11:00 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MarTay6
For pedalsm, I found these Ergon PC-2 pedals that looked like they might go well with my Croc's... https://www.ergon-bike.com/us/en/product/pc2
I wear Medical Rx Croc's.... they offer the best relief of anything I've ever found. These are very different from the other off-the-shelf Croc's.
A lot of good inputs here, thanks, Folks.
For saddle height, have got mine set so my legs are almost straight at the bottom of the stroke... I assume that's best for me?
Wes
Double-check it; rotate the crank so the pedal is all the way down; put your heel on the pedal -- your leg should be straight.

Has worked for me all my life.
Old 12-26-11, 11:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Banded Krait
I have to tilt the bike towards me at about a 45 degree angle in order to swing my leg over.
I was using a cane and had to do that for about 3 years. Bad hip that didn't like walking, but the smooth circular motion of the pedals with no impact points was great. Of course on a bike the hip isn't carrying a lot of weight. That was another nice advantage.

Just a couple loops of nylon twine along the top tube made a nice holster to carry the cane.

My doctor said that bicycling is normally good for the knees, as long as it isn't excessive.
Old 12-27-11, 10:10 PM
Cathedral City, CA

Bikes: 2016 RITCHEY BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11, STOLEN), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I was 63 earlier this month. I have had arthritis since I was 6. Originally the doctors thought it was rheumatoid, but, by the time that I was in college, they switched to juvenile arthritis. Anyway, most of my joints have been affected in varying degrees. The relatively unaffected joints are both knees, both hips, one ankle, toes on one foot, one elbow and my back.

As a kid, I rode a lot and had very strong legs. In college, I could Leg Press about 325lbs (I weighted about 125lbs at the time). I didn't ride much from midway through high school until I was about 25. I rode sporadically over 1 to 2 years. I started again 10 years ago and have been going ever since.

I don't think that I have had anything bad happen from riding. It did aggrevate my prostate for a while, but my lower body has been pretty good. One of the problems that most arthritics have is poor circulation. Ever noticed how easy it is for your hands or feet (depending upon where your difficulty is) to get cold in the winter? Cycling gets things moving and that is always a good thing. It even seems to help my arms and neck, even though they are not under much load. As has been pointed out, the trick is not to strain anything too soon. If you injure yourself, we take much longer to heal due to age AND health issues.

Also as others have mentioned, bike fit is VERY important. Any physical problems caused by ill fitting can add to our existing health issues. The guy why built my bike did an Excellent job. I took the measurements that he asked for and spec'ed out the parts that I wanted. He put togheter a a bike that just FIT. After riding the bike for about 2 years, I finally decided to have a proper fitting. The fitting verified everything except for a 1/4" difference in seat elevation. Not too shabby...
Old 12-27-11, 10:41 PM
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not shabby at all; but I have been AMAZED at how SMALL a measurement can be and still make a noticeable difference!

I remember an old hardtail MTB that was uncomfortable, hard to ride, just felt 'dead'; I put a 2mm spacer under the stem, and the bike came ALIVE!

Also, over the summer, I was forced onto a frame that didn't fit me as well as the one it (temporarily) replaced; the difference was a 20mm longer top tube, and I developed needle-like pains in my neck that are only now going away since I'm off that frame.
Old 12-29-11, 08:37 PM

Bikes: Seven Axiom Ti, Trek 620, Masi cylocross (steel). Masi Souleville 8spd, Fat Chance Mtn. (steel), Schwinn Triple Bar cruiser, Mazi Speciale Fix/single, Schwinn Typhoon

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
be sure to learn how to "spin" your pedals in circles, rather than push them (down) very very important, It may take months to learn and you will need to work on it, especailly at the beginning of) every year, I've been dealaing with arthritis and missing (meniscus/ligaments) and damaged parts for nearly 40 years
Old 12-29-11, 11:55 PM

Bikes: Scott CR1, Cannondale quick5, Actionbent tusanami

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get on your bike and ride!!! Make sure that your bike fits you and that your saddle is comfortable. I started riding at 62 and with artificial kneecaps in both knees, I feel great after 20 miles, and even greater after 100 miles. This riding is becoming an addictive habit. Drink lots of water and feed your body right and you will have a very enjoyable riding season. It is way cool when you can out-ride people younger than you !!

Experience counts
Old 12-30-11, 07:44 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all your inputs here- very encouraging!! I've been riding everyday, about a mile or so, at a fast pace- and it feels good! That's not to say I've got the seat figured out yet- There are so many seats, so many choices- and add to that individual positioning, that it's a maze. And when- as DX Man says, amazing how much difference a small amount of adjustment can make- how do you know which way to try?? I mean- what made you put a spacer under your stem?? I have to go shopping for a seat at my lbs today, (as I have to return the cushy seat off my wife's bike to hers!) I used it to get started, as the seat on the bike was obviously too uncomfortable. I've got new road tires coming for it, to "hybridize" it- (Schwalbe Marathon Supremes) and Ergon grips and pedals...
Pat- I assume that by spinning the crank instead of pushing it down- you mean follow the stroke all the way around the circle, right? Makes sense...
For the first time yesterday, I was able to feel the frame working... the forks working... it felt good!
Wes