Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 01-03-12, 03:53 PM   #1
cvcman

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
any of you guys ( gals) have heart stents ?

After starting my biking routine I was having mild center chest pain, went to the Dr,long story short 98% blocked LAD, had drug eluting stent over a year ago. No problems since and im down 47 pounds and bp and blood work is the best my cardio Dr has seen. My HDL is 102, LDL 70, TRys 45
I dont get a straight answer when I ask how long before I can expect any trouble, he tells me to keep eating good and keep up the exercise...I run or bike 7 days a week. Run 3 to 4 miles and bike from 18 to 40 miles....
Just wonder how many of you have one or more and if you have ever had an more issues after getting it.
cvcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-12, 04:35 PM   #2
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
You're not getting a precise answer because no one knows. However, you are doing everything you can (I'm guessing you're on Plavix and ASA), so it might be a long, long time before you have any trouble with it.

I wish I could bring myself to doing that BEFORE my stent.
Old 01-03-12, 04:41 PM   #3
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Curious - your age?

I'm 72 and haven't had one yet, and sincerely hope there is not one in my future.

Kudos on allyour efforts and lab results. They are admirable.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-12, 05:05 PM   #4
cvcman

Bikes:
im 52 yrs old, 5'9" tall and weighed about 197 before starting biking/running, I now weigh 149. I did smoke but not alot and had quit 14 yrs ago. I now think about my stent everyday......They say I can go off Plavix but kep taking the aspirin...
Old 01-03-12, 05:07 PM   #5
cvcman

Bikes:
Hey Dude, how long have you had a stent ?? What artery is it in ?? How old are you ?? Any trouble since having it installed ?
Old 01-03-12, 08:07 PM   #6
Pluto

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Synapse 5 Jamis Durango 3
I'm 62 and had a stent 9 months ago after chest pain and shortness of breath during a little 22 mile MTB excursion. I now split my rides between my new and lighter MTB and my new road bike. I've racked up over 3500 miles combined and have had no problems. My wife is a gourmet cook and had me on a weight watchers diet before the heart attack (it is heriditary). I've never had a weight problem and am a recovering runner who quit because of knee and back problems. I'm on heart meds and more recently Niaspan. I love riding my bikes and have an understanding wife when I need to leave the house for a couple of hours. She's rather have me riding than taking up with strange red heads and blondes, but then again she didn't give me a choice either!
Pluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-12, 08:37 PM   #7
cvcman

Bikes:
so Pluto,,,you had a heart attack ? I did not, luckly
What artery did they stent ?/ And did they use a drug eluting or bare metal stent
Old 01-04-12, 02:08 PM   #8
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
12 years ago I had a bypass- that was supposed to last for 10 years.

Just Hope I am not overdue for something.

Heart repairs and surgery cannot be given a time schedule. It depends on you. Keep exercising-Keep eating well and watch out for any warning signs.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-12, 03:33 PM   #9
Pistard

Bikes:
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I am 57, had a drug eluding stent put in in June, got my attention, and back on the bike after 30 Years, started riding in mid August, put 400 miles on in a few Month, plavix and aspirin ( plavix hopefully for a Year) but they are getting away from that, more like 1.5 Years...I had a bunch of tests including Echo/stress in August before I got the green light, stayed at 92% of max heart rate for 12 minutes. Once you are in the "program" (cardiac) you should be able to get regular indepht testing and monitoring, crazy thing is I never had a cholesterol problem or high blood pressure, so, you just never know. I feel great, a bit locked in the House, 20 degrees out there, but my Eliptical trainer is waiting right now!
Pistard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-12, 09:10 PM   #10
cvcman

Bikes:
Pistard, what artery did they stent ?? Did you have a heart attack ? Yea its cold here too but i have a Golds Gym bike in my basement and a Nordiac Track and full universal gym. But I ran 4 miles tonight, I love the fresh air !
Old 01-05-12, 07:16 AM   #11
Pistard

Bikes:
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Left interior descending..Heart attack? no, I had cardiac arrest during a routine hip ortho surgery...woke up 4 days later in a different hospital wondering why half my family was there, grazy stuff man! however , if you are going to have something like that happening, its a plus if you are allready on a surgery table...I got immediate help, therefore no apparent damage, very lucky, everyday is a gift man! I love my Nordic trac elliptical.
Pistard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-12, 10:53 PM   #12
mrardo

Bikes: Trek 6.9, Davinci touring, Mountain bike and a Trek tandem
I just had 3 stents installed yesterday. I had some chest pain on a ride on Thursday and went to the doctor and had 3 90% blockages.
mrardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-12, 01:29 AM   #13
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda SLR with some upgraded (i.e. lighter) components, Specialized Allez, '94 (just the frame, the rest of the bike is somewhat Frankensteinian), Follis (French, 1961, I'm the original owner), Wabi fixie, Spesh. Stumpjumper (hardtail).
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Cvcman, you've got some awesome numbers. Are those real?!? ;-)

I have several stents.

In December, 2008, I had a fairly mild heart attack, with 100% blockage in my right descending coronary artery. At 60, I was in terrific physical condition, 6 feet, 175 pounds. I was in denial that I was having a heart attack for about 15 minutes, then got help. I was back on my bike five days later, although I took it easy until I passed a stress test three weeks later.

Eight months later, in Aug. 2010, I felt some sharp chest pain and had trouble with my breath when I started riding at 9,000 feet in Yosemite National Park; I slowed down, felt better, and kept riding. A week later, in Los Angeles, it happened again and I couldn't blame it on a poor warmup or the altitude. The next day, I had two more stents placed in my left descending coronary artery, which was 80-90% blocked in two places. I was back on my bike three days later, and I didn't bother riding too delicately.

Keep taking your medication and you won't have an issues with your stent, although there's no way to know what the future holds for your heart, itself. What you're doing, though, can't hurt.

Last edited by icyclist; 01-08-12 at 01:43 AM.
icyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-12, 08:04 AM   #14
cvcman

Bikes:
Yup my numbers are real..If I knew a way to post my report here I would, i keep copies
Old 01-08-12, 06:10 PM   #15
Pluto

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Synapse 5 Jamis Durango 3
Cvcman, eluding stent placed in left descending artery. At time of procedure, artery was 100% blocked; after 0%. No ill effects other than getting a little sleepy in the afternoon from the statin drugs. I was lucky. Weather was nice here today in north central Florida and I was able to get in a 40 mile ride. Life if good and I have been blessed.
Pluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-12, 07:05 AM   #16
mrardo

Bikes: Trek 6.9, Davinci touring, Mountain bike and a Trek tandem
A good video of the procedure I had to install stents.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEYC4...JIO8YDVit0m6Bg
mrardo is offline   Reply With Quote