Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Do you suffer from tinnitus?

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Do you suffer from tinnitus?

Old 01-23-12, 09:27 PM
TomD77

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
An acquaintance of a few years back made his living organizing and taking groups of German tinnitus sufferers to some ex-eastern bloc country (can't remember which one for the life of me) for "treatments".

Military, a lot of shooting, lots of construction sites, I've got a bad case but never notice it unless something calls my attention, like this thread.

"The high-pitched ringing, squealing, hissing, clicking, roaring, buzzing or whistling in the ears that can drive tinnitus sufferers crazy may be a by-product of the brain turning up the volume to cope with subtle hearing loss". Subtle? Heh! Nothing subtle about my hearing loss.
Old 01-24-12, 06:27 AM
CHAS

Bikes: Rawlings Drakkar, Specialized Roubaix, Pivot, Challenge Trike, Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pinging in my ear tells me that another round of Meniere's Syndrome is about to start. Drinking a lot of water with 25% Gatorade helps sometimes.

Does The Noise in My Head Bother You? - Steven Tyler's book (Aerosmith)

There are hearing aids than can help some people. Think they use white noise. Ask around as some audiologists are good, others are lousy.
Old 01-24-12, 09:51 AM
CHAS

Bikes: Rawlings Drakkar, Specialized Roubaix, Pivot, Challenge Trike, Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some claim Van Gogh cut off his ear because tinnitus was driving him mad.
Old 01-24-12, 10:48 PM
San Francisco
Member On Probation

Bikes: Bianchi San Lorenzo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CHAS View Post
Some claim Van Gogh cut off his ear because tinnitus was driving him mad.
Ah yes, I try not to think about that. I am sure some of you have seen what I have in the movies.

Some guy goes all serial killer and when caught he says to the police "The ringing in my ears is so loud, can you hear it, it drove me insane, that's why I murdered all those people, help me please, the ringing is unbearable." While saying this the guy covers his ears with his hands and pleads to the police "Make it stop, please, make it stop. No, just shoot me, OK, end my misery!"

I go to church every Sunday and pray that the ringing in MY ears never gets as bad as it did for all those serial killers in the movies.
Old 01-24-12, 11:02 PM
San Francisco
Member On Probation

Bikes: Bianchi San Lorenzo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, by the way, if your tinnitus was caused by combat, you can apply to the VA for a disability. (I applied years later after I got out, at the recommendation of my primary care VA doc). I got a 10% rating.)

Where the rating is beneficial is: 1) I got FREE hearing aids (top of the line model, $5,000 units); 2) a zero co-pay group on medical care; and 3) lifetime placement in the zero co-pay rating.

So while combat injuries are a drag the disability rating helps. So if you served and suffered hearing injury check with the VA. YOU CAN APPLY FOR MEDICAL CARE AND SIMPLY GET PUT INTO THE SYSTEM. Later, if you lose your private insurance you can then "activate" your VA benefits.

(And the care is excellent, by the way. Here in San Francisco the VAMC is superb. The "hearing aids dept." is fantastic.)

Note: I am not sure, but if the ringing in your ears is from military service and the "hearing aids dept." says it is, no matter your financial situation, the VA may give you hearing aids. Worth checking out. (The hearings aids have cut out some of the ringing in my ears.)
Old 01-25-12, 09:17 AM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From what others describe here, I'm guessing mine is pretty mild; no one's going to tell me, though, that it's not physiological.

Been going on for over 25 years, usually suppressed by low ambient noise (fan, TV, stiff breeze, etc.); loud music as a youth, loud artillery as an adult. Also been diagnosed with hi-freq loss -- funny how that can actually make you more sensitive to sudden loud noises in certain ranges. (Or, it does ME, at least....)
Old 01-25-12, 12:12 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As I said, 35 years of helicopters gave me mine. Along with playing drums as a teenager. I've noticed it for some time, but even now it doesn't bother me, even though it is louder (I hear it in noisy environments now, not just quiet environs). I tend to ignore it.

A hearing test a year ago was an eye opener for me. "You're a candidate for a hearing aid", I was told! I have a lot of hearing loss in the mid frequencies (20 to 40dB), and of course, at high frequencies (above 7K I am essentially deaf). What is interesting is that the tinnitus "noise" I experience almost exactly corresponds to where my hearing loss is the worst. I really think the notion that my brain is "raising the input level" in the areas where my hearing suffers has some merit.