Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 01-05-12, 05:24 PM   #1
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can't believe you are a day over 60!! Really.

Met a really nice guy 50 years old today at the end of the trail. He is a long-distance runner who cross trains on a bike.

We were discussing triathlons, and I mentioned my possible Sprint Triathlon entry next fall, and said that in my age group there was only 1 other entrant in my age group at our local sprint tri this last year. He asked me my age group, and I said 70+.

He almost freaked out - he could not believe I was a day over 60. He went on and on. Hos won dad had died at 71.

Well, it was an even nicer afternoon after meeting him. 20 miles and the temp was 65F and sunny and no wind was a good start.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-12, 06:53 PM   #2
on the path
Seņor Blues

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Breezer Venturi Custom Build, IRO Singlespeed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
I had a nice chat with a man I met while resting at a waterfalls after riding about 17 miles. He looked to be in his mid 70's. After we talked a while I had the nerve to ask him his age. 87. Wow. He looked great and I told him so. He was very interested in my bike and the riding I do. It turns out he had hip replacement after a fall on his bike while in his mid seventies. I asked him to guess my age. He said 45. I'm actually 56.

Thank you, thank you very much...
on the path is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-12, 07:31 AM   #3
qcpmsame 
Quality Engineering

Bikes: Several, three if you must know.
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Denvr, did you mention your regular work out schedule or you warm weather riding mileage? I'll wager he would have been still hanging his mouth open when he heard these facts.

Bill
I Can Do All Things Through Him Whom Strengthens Me, Philippians 4:13

qcpmsame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-12, 08:19 AM   #4
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
Denvr, did you mention your regular work out schedule or you warm weather riding mileage? I'll wager he would have been still hanging his mouth open when he heard these facts.

Bill
I told him I did the equivalent of a modified (I walk and don't run) sprint triathlon about every other day (well, not quite ). He was impressed.
I didn't have time to go into the weight lifting. As I recall, I have met him before - last year - and his goal was to run 50 miles on his 50th birthday. I didn't ask this time, but I am sure he accomplished it.
Old 01-06-12, 09:05 AM   #5
rydabent

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 936 Post(s)
Hey why not brag. He who toots not his own horn finds his horn has not been tooted!!! Any way I just turned 73 last month and when people guess my age it is usually around 58. I am a firm believer that cycling keeps you young. It is a hell of a lot better than sitting in the easy chair and rustiing out like my father did.
rydabent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-12, 09:13 AM   #6
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
I think there is more to it than "tooting one's horn."

I would hope that this type of information might be a motivator to younger (and older) folks to get and keep "in shape" and that it really works. If they never see the end (well, not quite 'the end') results what motivation is there?
Old 01-06-12, 09:41 AM   #7
qcpmsame 
Quality Engineering

Bikes: Several, three if you must know.
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
^+1^

This is how I see you and the others here.
I Can Do All Things Through Him Whom Strengthens Me, Philippians 4:13

qcpmsame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-12, 11:26 PM   #8
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Nice to get a compliment like that!
Today we had lunch in local restaurant and parked our tandem near the front door.
When we came out, there was this huge lady standing there with a camera and she wanted to take our picture as we were such 'a cute couple.'
Chatted a bit and she said 'well I hope when your get older you'll be able to keep riding.'
She asked how old we were and when we told her (79/76) her jaw just dropped and she wanted to take a second picture to show the folks back east.
Turned out stoker Kay was 10 years her senior!
zonatandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-12, 12:47 AM   #9
B. Carfree

Bikes:
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
These things even happen to us "younger" 50+ folks. Last year I was working in our community garden when my son walked by on the bike path with a fellow university student from Japan. I called out a greeting to my son and he waved. Later in the day I met his friend and she said she thought I was another student. I think the sun was in her eyes, but I like to pretend otherwise.
B. Carfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-12, 01:00 AM   #10
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
Yeah, I was walking with my daughter in the mall a few years back (she was in her 20's, I was still in my 50's). Some friends of hers came by and asked her if I was her brother...

I'm sure genetics exerts a significant influence, but I'm convinced that riding the bike (and riding it hard every now and then) keeps you looking young. I'm 61 and my hair is still only starting to show a little grey. It's a good way to battle aging; heck, last year I logged 24,000 km. I enjoy doing battle in this way!
lhbernhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-12, 06:07 AM   #11
missjean

Bikes: A slate grey mountain bike & a grey road bike
It's nice to hear a compliment like that!
In our society, I bet more people would exercise if the emphasis was changed from your health will improve to you will look younger.

When I was 49 I had a woman in her mid 90s tell me I didn't look more than 24. I was all flattered until it dawned on me that pretty much anybody under 60 when your in your mid 90s looks really young!
missjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-12, 11:43 AM   #12
NVanHiker

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
My son and I were on a cruise recently and got the 'brother' remark from a couple of cougars. I mean ladies.
NVanHiker is offline   Reply With Quote