Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

OT-new signs of aging

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

OT-new signs of aging

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-12, 10:15 AM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
OT-new signs of aging

I was watching a bit of football on TV last night and during an a media break noticed a clip from the police action in RVN. As I was there, this sort of thing usually catches my eye so I kept watching. It ended up being an ad for retirement products. At this point I'm thinking that this is a bit odd as it wasn't that long ago albeit the guy in the ad certainly looked to be of retirement age. Then it occured to me that not only am I retired but that on 01/11 I will have been out of the army for 40 years!
Old 01-07-12, 10:30 AM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
And I have been out of the USAF almost 47 years. I don't now how they have managed without me!!
Old 01-07-12, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
no disrespect intended, but i don't think those who died there, or left a piece of their bodies/minds there, would consider it a 'police action'. same goes for korea.

was out 36 years last october, wondering where the time went, and thinking how young today's troops look. woof.
Old 01-07-12, 03:49 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I visit a lot of customers and in my trade of Motor parts supply-The people I deal with have a certain amount of Maturity about them. You don't get many teenagers that know much about a 44ton truck and even less that want to. But I have been seeing these same people for 30 odd years. I reckon it is about time they were put out to grass so I can have an easier time--Old people get cranky.

And my forces action was somewhere that even the British know very little about-- I was sent to Malaya for a policing action and not long after was invalided out with damaged knees. I was lucky as the rest of my mates were sent to Aden and 7 out of 9 did not survive their first tour.

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 01-07-12 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-07-12, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
And I have been out of the USAF almost 47 years. I don't now how they have managed without me!!
They managed because I went in when you got out......not sure what they did four years later though.
Old 01-07-12, 06:25 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
And somehow I was in protest marches back then and I'm still in protest marches. The retirement plan for protesting is lousy so I guess I won't be able to stop soon.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 01-07-12, 07:19 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
And somehow I was in protest marches back then and I'm still in protest marches. The retirement plan for protesting is lousy so I guess I won't be able to stop soon.
And no benefits for those of us who were conscientious objectors and performed two years of alternative service during 'Nam. Not complaining - working as a hospital orderly helped direct me toward a nursing career.
Old 01-07-12, 08:54 PM

Bikes: Specialized, Felt, Surly, Masi,Giant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I retired the first of the year and got out of the army 38 years ago, the funny thing is I still don't feel "old"
Old 01-07-12, 09:27 PM

Bikes: Marin Pt. Reyes, Gary Fisher HiFi Pro, Easy Racers Gold Rush recumbent, Cannondale F600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Too young to have served or avoided serving in the Vietnam War, but old enough to remember hiding under our school desks and the Cuban Missile crisis, Eisenhower, JFK, and more. It's starting to feel weird to think that I was alive back then (and riding a bicycle)

Last edited by rnorris; 01-07-12 at 09:31 PM.
Old 01-07-12, 09:35 PM

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
What I still find difficult to accept was when my really "cool", efficient, warship I was assigned to was decommissioned ... and eventually scrapped/dismantled. "What the ...", I thought. That was a really good ship. It was almost brand-new when I was part of the crew. Some country could have used it. It's only been 39 years since I got out, (I think), ... and I don't feel "old" either. Must be something about this cycling thing.
Old 01-08-12, 10:36 AM
I really like bikes

Bikes: Paramounts! - '65, '71, '74, '83, '98, '48 Schwinn Continental, '01 Homegrown Factory, Longbikes Tandem, '98 Trek Y-Foil

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't feel old either. The last 43 years have gone by in a blink - wonderful wife and many thousands of miles on my bikes have something to do with that. When I watch the guy in the ad walking patrol, I can almost feel the mud pulling on my boots. Returning in Dec '68 after 14 months with the Big Red One seems like yesterday, as do the memories. I still call it the Vietnam War, though. I'm used to people wincing at that.
1978 Medici Pro Strada
1990 Cannondale ST 600
1998 Trek Y-Foil
1999 Schwinn Homegrown MTB
2000 Schwinn Homegrown MTB
1999 Longbikes Tandem

Last edited by Kingofbeers; 01-08-12 at 10:38 AM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 01-08-12, 07:44 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rnorris
Too young to have served or avoided serving in the Vietnam War, but old enough to remember hiding under our school desks and the Cuban Missile crisis, Eisenhower, JFK, and more. It's starting to feel weird to think that I was alive back then (and riding a bicycle)
I can't forget the cuban missile crisis. I lived in just south of Tampa Bay and there was a 3 day long convoy rolling between my home and my school.

They never made us hide under our desks. That was pure propaganda. They knew that if the bombs flew, that we were toast. Where we lived was ground zero for an atomic free for all. Why worry us?

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 01-08-12, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Old is fine. Given that this thread involves militaria as well as cycling, consider the 1911 (maybe even older than Denver Fox), the 30.06, and the B-52. All are old, designed without the help of a computer () and still going strong.
Old 01-08-12, 10:33 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by doctor j
Old is fine. Given that this thread involves militaria as well as cycling, consider the 1911 (maybe even older than Denver Fox), the 30.06, and the B-52. All are old, designed without the help of a computer () and still going strong.
And I was designed without the use of a computer, and I am still goimg strong!!
Old 01-08-12, 10:48 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
And no benefits for those of us who were conscientious objectors and performed two years of alternative service during 'Nam. Not complaining - working as a hospital orderly helped direct me toward a nursing career.
It seems to depend on what you were able to make of it. C.O. also worked out pretty well for my uncle. He was sent to Nome, Alaska for his conscientious objector service. While there, he got his pilot's license, which led to some spending money and a career, and met his wife. Of course, if he would have had it his way, he would have just stayed in college until the fighting was over. People like him were the reason most colleges forced students to take a degree after they had earned a certain number of units. Nowadays, the cost will force students to take their degrees.
Old 01-09-12, 09:42 AM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ka0use
no disrespect intended, but i don't think those who died there, or left a piece of their bodies/minds there, would consider it a 'police action'. same goes for korea.
No offense taken. The police action comment was just a reflection of cynisism on my part. Although if I remember correctly an "undeclared" war is, according to the strict letter of the law, not a war at all and as in Korea, the war in RVN was never declared.

Thinking about some of the comments re: hiding under desks, JFK, etc which I clearly remember as well, it all seems a bit surreal. Think I'll go out for a bike ride a much more immediate reality.

Last edited by rck; 01-09-12 at 09:47 AM.
Old 01-09-12, 10:37 AM
Banned.

Originally Posted by rck
No offense taken. The police action comment was just a reflection of cynisism on my part. Although if I remember correctly an "undeclared" war is, according to the strict letter of the law, not a war at all and as in Korea, the war in RVN was never declared.

Thinking about some of the comments re: hiding under desks, JFK, etc which I clearly remember as well, it all seems a bit surreal. Think I'll go out for a bike ride a much more immediate reality.

Think of the Vietnam war as an extension of the Gulf of Tonkin incident (which, it appears now, to have never happened).
Old 01-09-12, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
I missed the draft by about 18 months, my number was 65. I have always felt that I missed something because I wasn't drafted. At the same time I have always been very thankful...