Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Aarghh!! - "Let's let this young man through"

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Aarghh!! - "Let's let this young man through"

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-12, 10:47 AM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
I got carded last year, but then the counter person just cracked up. Oh well.
Old 01-14-12, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Denver I think the man was trying to teach the son to repect people that look over 100.

Last edited by Blues Frog; 01-14-12 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-14-12, 12:44 PM

Bikes: Pretty fast ones

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was at local lawn mower repair place a few summers ago. I picked up a 48" mower deck and carried to my truck. The guy there was like "holy crap!!".

I said' not bad for an old guy huh?' He said I wasn't 'old' and when my drivers license proved otherwise he said 'man, you're old'.
Old 01-14-12, 12:54 PM
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A lot of my co-workers are surprised at my dedicated riding, especially the ones who 'know' my age (53 in about 7 weeks); it's ONE thing for someone to ride in the conditions I do, another when they realize my age! Of course, there's always a few who want to make 'old man' jokes -- they back down when I invite them for a ride....
Old 01-14-12, 03:44 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by stevemtbr
Last month I was at the gym lifting with my wife and a women that knows her from work came up to say hello. Then she looked at me (never has met me) and said "is this your personal trainer" before she said anything my reply (in a smug voice) "well yes I am".
Does your wife mind being lifted?
Old 01-14-12, 06:08 PM

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
And another thing . . . . . . .
Well, actually, I can't think of another thing right now, but I am working on it.

We need a separate "grouch" thread. I nominate Retro as our leader.
Where do I sign up!?!
Old 01-14-12, 06:11 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
Last week, a woman I've worked closely with for more than a year asked how old I am. When I said "I'll be 62 in a couple of weeks" her eyes opened wide and she said "You're as old as my dad!"
He must be really young.
My goalkeeper coach (I was head coach) used to remind me that his dad and I were the same age. Only thing that guy ever did to get under my skin. It worked real good.
Old 01-14-12, 08:50 PM

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
I'm not over 50 yet. Turn 49 next week. But I got carded twice. Tonight!! I try really hard to show respect to my elders. Just the way I was raised.
Old 01-14-12, 09:30 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by zjrog
I'm not over 50 yet. Turn 49 next week. But I got carded twice. Tonight!! I try really hard to show respect to my elders. Just the way I was raised.
Uh - this is 50+ kid. You're not ready yet. Get off the lawn.
Old 01-14-12, 09:49 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
What he said!!!!
Old 01-14-12, 10:37 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

Finally - you are living up to your handle. Whew - I was worried there for awhile.
Old 01-14-12, 10:44 PM

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
I was carded last year while buying a 6 pack in a grocery store.

Obviously they were taking their training seriously.
Last summer while buying some beer in Australia - was a bit dehydrated - the fellow in front of me was asked for his ID. When the cashier looked at me, I was stroking my grey beard and asked if she wanted my ID too. Her reply was: the 4 beers are $10 with senior's discount
Beer and food is expensive in OZ - as some travellers there know. OTOH, the bicycling is, well, spectacular.

Last edited by tmac100; 01-15-12 at 05:26 AM.
Old 01-14-12, 11:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by missjean
I had a deli counter guy, who was about 30ish, address me as Miss. I said to him , I have a daughter who is your age, so I am hardly a Miss. He looked perplexed, so I said I need a half pound of ham.
Perhaps the deli guy visits the Bike Forums... "Miss" Jean
Old 01-15-12, 05:18 AM

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
OK, but I'm going to be real picky about who gets let in.
Really ? I thought grouching was universal . Just used "You kids get out of my yard" the other day .
Old 01-15-12, 05:30 AM
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
I was carded last year while buying a 6 pack in a grocery store.

Obviously they were taking their training seriously.

Some places seem to have a policy of carding absolutely anyone who buys alcohol. Since my beard started gaining a few grey streaks in it I think it's pretty obvious I'm not under 21 but still get carded at one particular store in PA. It's always fun there, I give them my UK driving license as ID and they have to go and look in their book of international forms of ID to figure out what it is.

The more local beer distributor gets to make their own judgment call although I think their guideline is that if you look under 30 they'll check. Here in the UK the legal drinking age is 18 and a lot of places will ask for ID if you look under 25.
Old 01-15-12, 06:09 PM

Bikes: Marin Pt. Reyes, Gary Fisher HiFi Pro, Easy Racers Gold Rush recumbent, Cannondale F600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I look very young at a distance because of my size, but my age quickly becomes apparent as people get a closer look. This is really comical on a high school campus... sometimes a kid will call a name at me if they think I'm someone they know, or a jeer or taunt.... then they see the wrinkles. Their expressions are priceless.
Old 01-15-12, 07:32 PM

Bikes: A slate grey mountain bike & a grey road bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RobertL
Perhaps the deli guy visits the Bike Forums... "Miss" Jean
Ha! Ya got me!
Guess what my former forums handle was.....Old Broad.
I was 39 when I took up mountain biking and I was one of the oldest in my riding group. When I would ride something clean and the group would say good job, I would say "not bad, for an old broad". So when I started posting on biking forums I chose Old Broad for my name. People from the forums would meet me at rides and say "You're not old!"
Well, time caught up with me. But, I believe, it is still my prerogative to lie about my age!
Old 01-16-12, 12:49 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ha! Ya got me!
"Miss Jean" is much better!
Old 01-16-12, 05:20 AM

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by rnorris
I look very young at a distance because of my size, but my age quickly becomes apparent as people get a closer look. This is really comical on a high school campus... sometimes a kid will call a name at me if they think I'm someone they know, or a jeer or taunt.... then they see the wrinkles. Their expressions are priceless.
I keep the white sideburns under control and I keep on keepin on. I live near a university , and get mistaken for some kid there now and then . Funny, I had a doppelganger at SIU, where I went to University . Maybe the guy I'm getting mistaken for is his kid . Unlikely. They probably think I'm staff .
Old 01-16-12, 07:15 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Ha! Ya got me!
I was 39 when I took up mountain biking and I was one of the oldest in my riding group. When I would ride something clean and the group would say good job, I would say "not bad, for an old broad". So when I started posting on biking forums I chose Old Broad for my name. People from the forums would meet me at rides and say "You're not old!"
Well, time caught up with me. But, I believe, it is still my prerogative to lie about my age!
MissJean,
I cannot see calling you or Miss Kenton or Beverly an "Old Broad" at any time (as well as the other ladies on BF. Y'all are just too mature and pretty to do this to.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 01-16-12, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by zjrog
I try to show respect to everyone, regardless of age. It might be a genetic mutation in my family line, but I remember as a child of 10 or 11 feeling that some adults demanded respect from those younger, but never gave respect in return. Even at that age, I was angered by this. Today, in addition to many who don't see the need for respect, there are considerable differences about what constitutes respect. If you were to call my grandmother by her first name, and were younger than she, it would be offensive to her. However, if you call my mother anything but her first name, she finds it offensive. I'm guessing that the interaction Denver had was not a purposeful attempt at disrespect.... but I've been wrong about such things before.

As a side note, my current office is housed in a senior center. About three time a week I see a man who is in his 80s. He always calls me "young man". At first I wanted to say something to him about being in my sixth decade, but stopped. I believe he calls me this, because he needs to, not because he thinks I need to hear it.
Old 01-16-12, 09:23 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd just be damned glad in this day and age that someone realized they were in someone's way!!
Old 01-16-12, 09:24 AM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just asking if there are any boy scout leaders out there... do you not teach young men manners anymore?

Saturday, just before a MTB ride, I had to use one of the park restrooms. I had to cross over a bridge. On the way back a troup of scouts (about age 8 - 10) began crossing. Instead of saying, "You first ma'am" I had to wait for about 30 boys and 3 leaders to cross over. Not a one of them say "sorry" or even "hello" to me. It's not like you can miss me (unfortunately). I've noticed this in alot of young men... no manners. Is it not PC to be polite to women anymore?

OK that's my rant for the week...

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 01-16-12, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pamestique
Just asking if there are any boy scout leaders out there... do you not teach young men manners anymore?

Saturday, just before a MTB ride, I had to use one of the park restrooms. I had to cross over a bridge. On the way back a troup of scouts (about age 8 - 10) began crossing. Instead of saying, "You first ma'am" I had to wait for about 30 boys and 3 leaders to cross over. Not a one of them say "sorry" or even "hello" to me. It's not like you can miss me (unfortunately). I've noticed this in alot of young men... no manners. Is it not PC to be polite to women anymore?

OK that's my rant for the week...
Oh, come on; the week is still young!
Old 01-16-12, 09:33 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
she is right - I bought some Cub Scout popcorn two years ago (will never buy any again) and neither the scout nor the leader with him thanked me, heck, they barely made eye contact.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.