Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

My Bike Buying Experience: NOT GOOD!

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

My Bike Buying Experience: NOT GOOD!

Old 01-23-12, 05:34 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I have been looking online and I sent her a list of all the bikes in her price range, with a triple that will suit her needs. REI has a number of good entry level bikes and I know the staff there is very helpful (sometimes too much so for my taste but oh well). It's up to her now to do the dirty work... I have my bikes! And I bought them all on my own!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 01-23-12, 05:37 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
LOL Pam! good luck to your friend... and you!
Old 01-23-12, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3355 Post(s)
Liked 5,434 Times in 2,812 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
No. I wasn't kidding. I am not saying that whatever the kid at the shop sold her would the the right bike for her. I am saying that by refusing to take responsibility for her purchase, she puts herself at the mercy of others.

"She has some difficult parameters: 1) she knows nothing about bikes and doesn’t want to know. If it’s any bother, she is not interested. She knows nothing about fit, or components etc. and doesn’t want to know "

With an attitude like that, I hope she at least appreciates the burden you are taking on in being responsible for her. She is very lucky to have you around.
+1
I wouldn't waste my time trying to help someone like that.
Old 01-23-12, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife is long waisted AND tall. John at Performance Bike in Fountain Valley has trained his guys well; they spent a good part of an evening fitting her to a bike, she tried/rode several and ended up with a men's size. I purchased a new bike a few weeks later after comparing the cost of upgrading my current bike and a new one. They spent a lot of time fitting me to the RIGHT bike, not the most expensive. The people make the difference.
Old 01-23-12, 06:18 PM

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Didn't read all 24 previous posts. If you want to get a good idea of what size she needs, be with her and run through the on-line Competitive Cyclist fit calculator. It's pretty accurate and will determine the correct frame size she needs. Actual fitting will need to be done either by trial-and-error or by a LBS fit technician.

- - -

p.s. Adrenaline Bikes in Orange has some pretty competent people. Purchased my SO's Bianchi from them and they gave her a free fit. They will also build bikes with whatever components, (i.e., triple 105 or Tiagra crankset), that you want. Decent prices on their build bikes, close to MSRP on the Bianchi component spec bikes.
Old 01-23-12, 06:45 PM

Bikes: Rawlings Drakkar, Specialized Roubaix, Pivot, Challenge Trike, Tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have been told that I do not need a triple.
1. I live in the Rockies
2. I am not buying it for them
3. I am 64 and not getting any younger, lower gears mean longer lasting knees.

4. Will buy a triple, whether I buy it there or not

Another peeve is the clerk telling me I am spending too much. That is a poor salesman. I know what I want and have the money. The boss should correct
this unless he is not in business to make money.
Old 01-23-12, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am not sure why the Op is surprised about the lack of service, its where we are these days, do your research, go into Lbs to check on the staff, before you look at any bike.
Old 01-23-12, 08:27 PM
surfrider

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
She has some difficult parameters: 1) she knows nothing about bikes and doesn’t want to know. If it’s any bother, she is not interested. She knows nothing about fit, or components etc. and doesn’t want to know (this is a lady that takes flats to the shop for fixing).

I help those who help themselves. If someone had this attitude, I'd be reluctant to help them with a new bike purchase since I'd risk their wrath if they didn't like it in the near future or they'd always be coming back for help with minor details. Tell her if she can show some initiative and learn to fix flats, change tires, adjust seat & fit, and a few other things, then you'll help her. FWIW: REI in Tustin might be a good choice.

Old 01-23-12, 08:56 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by surfrider
I help those who help themselves. If someone had this attitude, I'd be reluctant to help them with a new bike purchase since I'd risk their wrath if they didn't like it in the near future or they'd always be coming back for help with minor details. Tell her if she can show some initiative and learn to fix flats, change tires, adjust seat & fit, and a few other things, then you'll help her. FWIW: REI in Tustin might be a good choice.
Note that the OP describes the troublesome person as a "friend". Sometimes we go the extra mile for them even if they have their limitations.
Old 01-23-12, 09:41 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
I'm not trying to defend the Specialized store but triples are getting hard to find, especially with entry level bikes. Compact gearing gives a wide range of gears, usually with a choice of 18 combinations. They are easier to shift and not as finicky as triples. They are also cheaper for manufacturers to produce.

Since you know what size your friend needs, you might consider this place

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/road_bikes.htm

I know lots of people here have brought from them and it's probably the best valve you can find for new bikes around.
I keep hearing this and I don't understand. I have triples on two road bikes, on 2 mountain bikes and a recumbent. None are hard to shift nor finicky!!
Old 01-23-12, 10:03 PM

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I keep hearing this and I don't understand. I have triples on two road bikes, on 2 mountain bikes and a recumbent. None are hard to shift nor finicky!!
+1

I have an Ultegra triple on two of my road bikes and my MTB. When I purchased my first new bike in over 40 years, about two years ago, the salesman/owner wanted to sell my a compact. He made all the usual arguments. The triple was an option in the Trek brochures and their web site. I told him that I wanted a triple. My money ... i got the triple. It shifts just fine and is not finicky either. I'm glad I got them. Close ratios for the flats, and plenty low for the steep hills. The Apex compact has the same low, (slightly lower), but being a double, there are lots of gaps in the gearing.

And ... if triples are "obsolete" and on the way out ... why do almost all mountain bikes still have triples? Are they hard to shift and finicky?

Long live triple cranksets. We just need mechanics that are willing to learn how to adjust them properly.
Old 01-23-12, 10:52 PM

Bikes: 2012 Motobecane (BikesDirect) Immortal Force; 2011 (?) Civia Bryant Gates Carbon Belt Drive (upgraded to Alfine 11 and Gates CenterTrack)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven

Since you know what size your friend needs, you might consider this place

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/road_bikes.htm

I know lots of people here have brought from them and it's probably the best valve you can find for new bikes around.
I'd have to disagree. I really like BD - my next bike will come from them. But I asked for and received the Zinn Road Bike book for Xmas, and expect to maintain my own bike. But read the following again:

1) she knows nothing about bikes and doesn’t want to know. If it’s any bother, she is not interested. She knows nothing about fit, or components etc. and doesn’t want to know (this is a lady that takes flats to the shop for fixing).
In my opinion, someone like that buying a BD bike is a disaster waiting to happen.

This situation seems tailor made for REI, in my opinion. I know that REI is a poor choice for bike aficionado's - people who live, eat, and sleep bikes. But it doesn't song like the OPs friend is that kind of person.

My impression of my REI is that they are helpful folk who may not be "bikies", but will try to do the right thing. I find them really friendly and helpful - and no less knowledgeable than the sales folks at most of the shops I've been in.

The mechanics seem as competent as they are at most shops around here. Actually, since I assume that REI pays their mechanics at least as much as the LBS's - and probably has better benefits - I'd be surprised if the REI mechanics were noticeably less competent than the mechanics at the LBS's.

The big advantage of REI for the OP's friend is their extremely liberal return policy. If the bike doesn't feel right or she doesn't like the color, or for no reason at all, she can just return it.
Old 01-24-12, 05:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by volosong
+1

I have an Ultegra triple on two of my road bikes and my MTB. When I purchased my first new bike in over 40 years, about two years ago, the salesman/owner wanted to sell my a compact. He made all the usual arguments. The triple was an option in the Trek brochures and their web site. I told him that I wanted a triple. My money ... i got the triple. It shifts just fine and is not finicky either. I'm glad I got them. Close ratios for the flats, and plenty low for the steep hills. The Apex compact has the same low, (slightly lower), but being a double, there are lots of gaps in the gearing.

And ... if triples are "obsolete" and on the way out ... why do almost all mountain bikes still have triples? Are they hard to shift and finicky?

Long live triple cranksets. We just need mechanics that are willing to learn how to adjust them properly.
I don't believe StanSeven said that triples are hard to shift. I believe he was simply saying that doubles are easier to shift. With which I would have to agree. However, the difference is minimal and not something I would ever be concerned about.
Old 01-24-12, 05:17 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
You must not have looked at new mountain bikes much lately. 2x10 is the coming thing in mountain bikes. It actually makes more sense with mountain bikes than with road bikes to eliminate one of the rings (the big ring).

I too hope that triples stay around forever. They are the best solution for some bikes and some people.
Old 01-24-12, 06:46 AM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Pam, I took my bike to Trail's End Cycling Center for an annual tune up. Its near Redhill and Warner, on Warner. If you're on RedHill going south, turn on warner and it's just past the railroad crossing on the left side of the road. The owner and his son run the place and its small. They're mountain bike riders but also sell road. They will know about triples and how to get it onto a road bike for your SO.

I say they're good mechanics. They know their stuff.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/trails-end-c...nter-santa-ana
Old 01-24-12, 07:07 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
I don't believe StanSeven said that triples are hard to shift. I believe he was simply saying that doubles are easier to shift. With which I would have to agree. However, the difference is minimal and not something I would ever be concerned about.
If A is easier than B then B must be harder than A. I guess that whether or not B is "hard" depends on one's perspective.
Old 01-24-12, 07:10 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Pam,
As you know the young guy in the shop is full of crap about the triple cranks. Have you looked at the Cannondale CAAD 8 with the triples? They have the Fem series frames for women and you can get at least Tiagra or Sora for you price in her size and with a triple. If need be I'll send you a triple crank set and derailleur, Shimano RSX, but is super condition that I took off of my old R500, for free. She should use the triple as you say, I went to a road double on the R500 and my new CAAD 10 has a compact SRAM (50/34) and I am sold on the lower gearing of the compact. Best of luck , you made me appreciate my wife and how she studied before we purchased her Trek 7300 and our 2 LBS and how the guys and gals at them take so much time with people so you get what actually works for you build, not what makes them money.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 01-24-12, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
If A is easier than B then B must be harder than A. I guess that whether or not B is "hard" depends on one's perspective.
Not sure everything can be correctly thought of along a scale with opposites at either end.
Old 01-24-12, 03:06 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Pam, I took my bike to Trail's End Cycling Center for an annual tune up. Its near Redhill and Warner, on Warner. If you're on RedHill going south, turn on warner and it's just past the railroad crossing on the left side of the road. The owner and his son run the place and its small. They're mountain bike riders but also sell road. They will know about triples and how to get it onto a road bike for your SO.

I say they're good mechanics. They know their stuff.
Garfield:

I can honestly say I don't know this shop. Thanks for the advice. Although I have a good mechanic at home it's nice to know someplace I can recommend to others! Plus I love giving business to smaller/non-concept shops. I will definitely check them out (especially since I like to mountain bike)

Actually I think one Sunday we drove past but it was closed. Is it in an industrial park? Sortof on the end of a roll of small offices? I would never know it was there if the SO had not heard of it somewhere...

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 01-24-12, 03:15 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1

I run Ultegra triple on my road bikes. I too hope triples never go out of style but frankly I just bought my last road bike. I'm hoping it lasts until I am ready to stop riding. Just in case, I have 2 other Ultegra groups brand new out in the garage. BTW my cassette is the Sram XX 36t. Talk about a beautiful piece of machined metal!

Cycling in general - both road and mountain is changing. I am now actually seeing single speed mountain bikes sold as production bikes. And it does make more sense for MTBikes to be double than road bikes. But no question I use the entire range of gears on my road bike (on my mountain bike I seldom go to the big ring) and hate to sacrifice any for a compact double. The high isn't high and enough low is not that low. I just hope manufacturers don't get too gimmicky and stop production of good products that alot people can use.

Just an update: I do think REI is perfect for my friend and I sent here a list of all the bikes that are in her price and would suit her. My SO has convinced her (like I tried but she didn't listen to me - go figure!) to consider paying just alittle more and get a Specialized Ruby which a local shop has on sale. I agree - she will probably be happier with the Sora components and carbon frame. Anyway she has a list and places to go so now its up to her.

Old 01-24-12, 03:17 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by billydonn
Note that the OP describes the troublesome person as a "friend". Sometimes we go the extra mile for them even if they have their limitations.
Yes we do.... like i said she has other great qualities so I overlook this imperfect (and like I don't have any!).

Old 01-24-12, 03:35 PM

Bikes: 2013 Ridley X-BOW

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just read through your post on the other place. Sorry your thread got hijacked on the arguement of hills. Was your friend able to find a bike she liked and a store that was helpful?
Old 01-24-12, 03:49 PM

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Bethany
I just read through your post on the other place. Sorry your thread got hijacked on the arguement of hills. Was your friend able to find a bike she liked and a store that was helpful?
Shows you that testosterone doesn't add much insight to a women's bike discussion.
Old 01-24-12, 03:59 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bethany

The process is just started. I think she is convinced (with alittle urging) to spend some more money and go test ride a Specialized Ruby triple. I gave her a list of about 30 bikes, the shops and websites, what to do and ask and now its up to her.

It's almost as tough as buying a car (well not quite).

Last edited by CbadRider; 01-26-12 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Clean up
Old 01-24-12, 04:30 PM

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
Ya know, if a "Good Friend" wanted my help picking out a bike and he/she decided it had to be "Wal-Mart", I'd still go and try to find them the best bike for the buck at the store. Some of you guys are really "mean sprited", jmho.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.