Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How to speed up recovery as I (we) get older???

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

How to speed up recovery as I (we) get older???

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-12, 10:43 PM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by volosong
Thanks all for the advice. Most helpful. I think it is, for me, a combination of the weather, (shorter days = next to no riding during the week), pushing too hard for the two times a week that I can ride, and lack of sleep. In summary ... at least during this winter ... I'm out of shape. Hopefully when daylight savings time kicks in, I'll be able to do several, shortish recovery rides during the work week. Then I can push it on the weekends without being so sore.

What's with this chocolate milk thing? Several people have mentioned this. Does sugar-free Swiss Miss work okay, or does one need the sugar, (being a diet controlled diabetic, I have to minimize/eliminate sugar in my diet).

And I agree with AzTallRider. "Aging gracefully" is maintaining health and fitness. I'll take it easy, slow down, and rest when I'm six-feet under. Too much to see, do and experience until then.
I don't know too much, but they claim that, nutritionally, chocolate milk equivalent to one of the expensive recovery drinks (Muscle Milk maybe?) I've been drinking some after rides and I don't get sore anymore. Not sure if sugar free matters that much. Cuz, y'know, I don't know too much.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 01-26-12, 12:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
The best way I know of to control soreness and fatigue is to not load up your legs which is what most riders do. What that means is one has to spin faster and develop the neuromuscular and cardiovascular systems.

When riders try to ride faster they typically shift into a bigger gear to increase speed. This loads up the muscles and requires them to produce more force and hence the soreness. And the heart is beating slower so there is not as much recirculation of blood.

My advice is to learn to spin faster and advance your speed once your cadence increases. You will find your heart rate will be higher and it will be more difficult but over time the HR will come down and you will be riding at higher speed.

As far as recovery, I use compression tights, foam rollers, steam room and stretching. I like to stretch since I want to improve my time trial position.
Great advice!

For me, sore legs meant; I was pushing beyond what my legs and cardio could handle. Jumping from a 15 to an 17-18mph average is no small jump. Eventually, my legs got stronger to handle the speed and the soreness disappeared. I also realized spinning a higher cadence (95 - 105) meant less soreness, so I mix-up the ride between spinning and pushing bigger gears while working on getting faster and stronger. One more thing, I found pushing to hard back to back actually reduced recovery time. After a hard effort one day, if I go out the next, I focus on spinning high RPM's to work on cardio which seems to help with recovery and building speed.

As for post ride, I believe in the chocolate milk, seems to help. I'll also make up fresh fruit smoothies with milk (or water), honey and soy protein powder, not only good after a long hot day on the bike, but great tasting too.
Old 01-28-12, 09:57 PM

Bikes: Roubaix Comp Triple

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm nearly 64. I've had great success with Sport Legs. I have to climb a couple of flights of stairs each day at work. I can tell a big difference the day after a long ride. For me, the Sport Legs definitely make a difference. Best price I've found lately was on Amazon.
https://www.sportlegs.com/about/welcome.asp
Old 01-28-12, 09:59 PM

Bikes: Roubaix Comp Triple

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm nearly 64. I've had great success with SportLegs. I have to climb a couple of flights of stairs each day at work. I can tell a big difference the day after a long ride when I've used them. Best price I've found lately was on Amazon.
https://www.sportlegs.com/about/welcome.asp
Old 01-29-12, 08:24 PM

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
I have found stretching really speeds recovery. I do a lot of stretching for my legs during the day, especially on tours or long rides. I feel a lot better when I go through my stretching routine both before and after I get on the bike.

Marc
Old 01-29-12, 08:30 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Stretching after a ride always helps me as does the chocolate milk. I drink a glass after a ride and before bed for the muscle spasms I have in my abdomen and legs.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 01-29-12, 08:33 PM

Bikes: domane trek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All the post are great. Same thing was happening to me. I took a routine stress test and failed it. I needed quadruple bypass. Just something to think about.
Old 01-29-12, 09:55 PM
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
- Good nutrition
- Plenty of rest
- Ice packs or cool shower after the activity and for the first 12 hours
- No aspirin or NSAIDS during the first 12 hours (Tylenol OK)
- Massage, stretching (gentle), hot bath or shower after 12 hours (too early can actually increase inflammation)
- Keep moving if muscles start to stiffen up
- Know the difference between general muscle soreness and localized pain of injury
- Accept the fact that recovery takes longer with each decade you pass
Old 01-29-12, 11:35 PM

Bikes: Trek Madone, Niner Air 9, Salsa Vaya, Lotus Unique

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Cool thread!

I have 2 workouts with a personal trainer per week and ride pretty hard 2x per week. For me, stretching is an absolute must before and after each session and ride. If I blow it off (like today), the ol' muscles get as tight as banjo strings.

Back in the days of youth, stretching was somewhat optional.

The hard, foam rollers work well for calves, hammys and hip flexors. Also, they really let you know where your stiff muscles are that day!

Dave
Old 01-30-12, 02:41 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To answer a couple of the OP's questions.

Why chocolate milk? Because post ride nutritional recommendations I've heard are a ratio of 4/1. Four parts carbs to one part protein. Low fat chocolate milk is close to this ratio. So no, I do not believe sugar free chocolate milk would be the best substitute. This may also explain part of your problem. If you're watching your diet and not consuming enough simple carbs, you may be robing your body of the nutrients it needs to repair itself. Another favorite of mine, is an avocado. They also are about the 4/1 ratio and while people complain that they are high in fat, it's natural fat and your body needs this as well. You should also eat a good meal within a few hours (3) of your ride.

Second, by missing sleep, you are robbing your body of one of the most vital components to recovery. You're fitness is not gained on the bike, it's in the recovery that takes place off the bike.

Ice baths were mentioned. I've found that this helps a lot, however, I just go out and stand in my spa (not heated and during the winter of course) up to my chonies (sp?) with neoprene shoes so my feet don't freeze. I do a few iterations of this to stimulate blood flow.

As for stretching, I personally use a lot of the Trigger Point products and exercises. Due to our tendancy to stay in one position for extended periods of time. Our hip flexors and IT bands among other muscles and tendons tend to get tight and over or under developed. I find that minimizing this through various stretching and exercises helps to minimize these effects.

The other likely possibility that also leads back to one of my previous points. You may be over training, if you're not sleeping enough you most likely are over training. Your body is unable to keep up with the demands you're placing on it. Getting more fit and faster is all about adaption. By not allowing your body enough time to adapt or increasing the curve to rapidly, you're paying the price.
Old 01-30-12, 03:52 AM
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
"pushing too hard for the two times a week that I can ride"

I think that's the answer - you aren't riding enough.

I'm 64. My legs are never sore, no matter whether I ride long miles, or climb steep hills. I don't stretch before or after a ride. I used to jog and rock climb. Now I just ride (and occasionally suffer through some sit-ups and push-ups).

When I was younger, I never thought I would ride at such a high level at the age I am now. I think back on my parents, who lived sedentary lives. I think I can still ride much as I did long ago, because I've never stopped riding over the years.

I don't know how much longer I will be able to ride hard without suffering some consequences. I just know that for now I can push myself, and while my legs might be tired after an arduous ride, they aren't sore.

If possible, OP, ride more. Ride a trainer or rollers if you can't get out more often, due to weather and darkness.

Good luck.
Old 01-30-12, 05:37 PM

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by icyclist
"pushing too hard for the two times a week that I can ride"

I think that's the answer - you aren't riding enough.
I wish I could ride more. However, having to wake up at 4:30 every morning to get ready for the mortgage paying job, not getting back to the house until 6:00, then two nights a week having to teach at the local community college from 7:00 to 10:00 ... and with the winter darkness ... the only real times I have to ride are on those Fridays that I take off and on weekends. When we go on daylight savings time, I'll have time to ride during the week. Too tired for those other days during the week to ride, and chores need to be done on Saturdays. Sundays are for rest.

So far, for January, I've been able to fit in 157.26 miles. That should go up as the days get longer. Thank you all for your advice. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one that gets a little sore at times, and that also there are those of you who are still studs. Me? I refuse to grow up ... yet. Thanks again.

p.s. As a Type-2 diabetic, I have to watch my sugar intake, so "normal" chocolate milk is out. But I absolutely love Avocados. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 01-31-12, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone tried EMS? Electro Muscular Stimulation. Seems to be the in thing with the pro riders to help recover.
Old 01-31-12, 09:20 PM
Spit out the back

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Beta Alanine before a long ride seems to help prevent the buildup of lactic acid. It's in a lot of the endurance & recovery drinks, but I just take it via a pill.

If your muscles do get sore, an epsom salts bath works wonders for all the little aches and pains.
Old 02-02-12, 12:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lotsa good advice in here. esp the chocolate milk parts. my two observations would be, get a heart rate monitor and put some science into your training. sounds like you need to ratchet it down for some of your rides. also, if you record your pulse every morning in bed before you get up, you'll quickly figure out what is "normal". if your pulse is 5 or more beats higher than that, the morning after a ride, you are in the beginning stage of overtraining. this can occur from just one ride or run, or other exercise. take that day off, and see how long it takes for it to get down to normal again. more miles of what seems like too easy spinning will help you more than going hard all the time. eventually, you'll be able to go harder and harder without as much fatigue later. for me, its hard to do an easy ride, its so hilly here, its a max effort just to climb up to my house. I am not above walking my bike up hills I could climb, to keep my heart rate down on easy rides. (I put a bag over my head when I do that!).

my second point would be, you can always do a little cross training. when my legs are whipped or feel heavy, I am fortunate enough to be able to paddle a kayak in a large lake 1/2 mile from my house. remember, its not the exertion that makes you stronger, its the rest period that follows.

you sound super busy, and my hats off to you for riding as much as you do. I used to have some rollers at work that I rode at lunch or after work before my commute home. just a thought.
Old 02-02-12, 06:16 PM
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Myosmith
- Good nutrition
- Plenty of rest
- Ice packs or cool shower after the activity and for the first 12 hours
- No aspirin or NSAIDS during the first 12 hours (Tylenol OK)
- Massage, stretching (gentle), hot bath or shower after 12 hours (too early can actually increase inflammation)
- Keep moving if muscles start to stiffen up
- Know the difference between general muscle soreness and localized pain of injury
- Accept the fact that recovery takes longer with each decade you pass
Why on earth would you not take aspirin after a ride for soreness????
Inquiring minds want to know. I have been doing it for more than 50 years now.
Old 02-02-12, 07:42 PM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I use a chocolate protein shake immediately after workouts. Probably the same as chocolate milk only 3X the cost. I also started taking Hammer Endurolytes to prevent cramping on long hot days. My son was an elite soccer player and took those with great results. They seem to work for me too (same genes maybe). I have one of those sticks but don't use it very often. (get your mind out of the gutter)