Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Your expected time for a 100 mile ride in 2012

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Your expected time for a 100 mile ride in 2012

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-12, 04:03 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pamestique
I wish I could remember - it was maybe 10 years ago? I hadn't planned on doing the century and just casually signed up and decided to do the first part with my friends but then they dumped me after the first "water crossing". I hadn't researched the ride and knew nothing about it... 2 dry river crossings!!?!?!? After the first one I could not engage the cleat (I wore Speedplays at time) for the rest of the ride. I had to push the pedal. By mile 65 my feet were on fire, I really wanted to quit but had no idea where I was and I didn't have a cell phone or a number to call. I would just stop, take my shoe off, put it back on and ride...

It was a cool ride though and I am glad it was my first century. Riding by myself I met alot of nice people along the way. I would ride with them for awhile and then one of us would move on. The finish was well worth the pain. The look on my friends' faces when when I showed up at the hotel 10 minutes behind them was PRICELESS! I probably outrode them if I didn't break down for my cry...
Good Job, Pam. I rode my first TdT in 2006. It is an interesting ride. Some riders take unnecessary chances, in my opinion. The Santa Cruz and Sabino Canyon crossings are a pain (well, the mariachi band at the Santa Cruz crossing is neat). Some climbing... the mountains in the background.
Old 01-25-12, 04:05 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
BikeArkansas, would this be the thread to also ask how many centuries we hope to complete in 2012? I will say 3 centuries, and 3-4 double centuries (depending on my work schedule).
Old 01-25-12, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
I am happy with anything below 4:45 these days.
Old 01-25-12, 04:30 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Let's see: max speed of 12 MPH divided into 100... 8 hours and some change.

Old 01-25-12, 04:37 PM

Bikes: 2012 Scorpion FX trike, 2016 Catrike 700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by az_cyclist
BikeArkansas, would this be the thread to also ask how many centuries we hope to complete in 2012? I will say 3 centuries, and 3-4 double centuries (depending on my work schedule).
Not a bad idea to also list how many 100 mile rides you have planned for the year. I would guess at 5 this year. I rode 13 a couple years ago. Last year I rode 62 metric centuries. Not going to attempt that again.
Old 01-25-12, 04:51 PM

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
I only plan on riding a couple of organized centuries this year and about four self-supported metric centuries. My primary emphasis this year is the state time trial championships. I only have two basic goals this year; (1) to complete a century without cramping, (elapsed time unimportant, but will shoot for just under 7 hours total, start to finish), and (2) finish in the top half of my age group in the TT.
Old 01-25-12, 09:55 PM

Bikes: Bacchetta CA2.0

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Since my 100's aren't races, anything under 6 moving hours suits me.
Old 01-26-12, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
... A little longer when I'm accompanying a virgin..
Classic.. I now have to clean the Coke off my monitor screen. Thanks.

Last edited by drmweaver2; 01-29-12 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-26-12, 02:31 PM

Bikes: Trek Navigator, LeMond Buenos Aires, Madone 5.9, S-Works Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first century a couple of years ago was so slow the last rest stops were closing before we got to them. We were actually on the bike for about 7.5 hours but were over 10 total from the start..
Old 01-26-12, 03:19 PM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,174 Times in 1,465 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeArkansas
I did ride one metric century (63miles) in which I did not put a foot down. A good way to ride it.
I accidently did this once. Did a large century (7,000+ riders) with a group. I didn't know but the group intended to miss the first two stops and wait until the third at 62 miles. All I had was two bottles of water. I experiened the worse bonk ever. I was nauseous, pale, weak and disorientated. My wife saw me and said I looked awful. She went and got me food, which I could barely eat, and a 32 oz soda. Eventually I felt well enough to finish the ride.
Old 01-26-12, 03:56 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by az_cyclist
I rode my first TdT in 2006. It is an interesting ride. Some riders take unnecessary chances, in my opinion. The Santa Cruz and Sabino Canyon crossings are a pain (well, the mariachi band at the Santa Cruz crossing is neat). Some climbing... the mountains in the background.
One can easily look up their time on the results site, I do see some familiar names . I did it once in 1999. Fairly easy ride. I figure that since I was riding a dt shifter bike, tennis shoes, tank top and a $14 helmet from Target. I knew nothing about timed events, didn't even know it was timed till I saw the clock at 15 minutes whlle leaving the start line. I was way in the back of the start. I stopped to visit with Gina along the way on the roadside.

Heck, I cruised the course solo and posted a 6:48 time. If I had known about timed events back then, I could have easily got the gold (under 6 hours).

I was at 6:48 just moseyin' along on one of my first centuries

https://www.perimeterbicycling.com/!ETT/ETT99-111.htm
Old 01-26-12, 04:01 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
One Metric: Garret County Md. Gran Fondo. Killer hills!
One 'real' Century: Either the Seagull Century or the Bluegrass and Bagels Century
Old 01-26-12, 10:12 PM

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I sometimes have 100-mile days when touring. Takes about 10 hours.
Old 01-27-12, 07:01 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Planning 2 organized centuries in 2012 - first in central PA over some mountains expect to take about 9 hours. Other probably the Seagull - 6.5 hours?

May have to do some "training centuries" to prepare for the mountains.
Old 01-27-12, 08:54 PM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Looigi
On organized centuries, a lot depends on how much time you spend dawdling at aid/lunch stops. Some have stops every 10-15 miles and if you hit each one you can easily add an hour or more to your time. I tend to go 30 miles between stops and only stop long enough to pee, refill bottles, and stuff some food items into my face and jersey pockets. Stops longer than 5 or 10 minutes seem to make it harder for me to get going again.

IMO, it's not the distance but how long you spend in the saddle. The faster you go, the less time you spend on the bike, and the easier it gets.
Boy, I totally agree. If it took me 7-8 hrs. to do 100 miles, I'd never do one. The last century I did maybe 3 yrs. ago was a bit under 5 hrs. with a group. If I don't get back into that kind of shape, I'm sure not going to sit on a bike all day just to say I rode 100 miles.
Old 01-27-12, 10:12 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Terex
Boy, I totally agree. If it took me 7-8 hrs. to do 100 miles, I'd never do one. The last century I did maybe 3 yrs. ago was a bit under 5 hrs. with a group. If I don't get back into that kind of shape, I'm sure not going to sit on a bike all day just to say I rode 100 miles.
Good for you. I have had some very enjoyable 7-8-9 hour century rides. Not just to say I did it, but rather to experience doing it. I have never even considered the possibility of riding 100 miles in less than 5 hours and don't imagine I ever will.
"To each his own" said the old lady as she kissed the cow.

Last edited by BluesDawg; 01-27-12 at 10:16 PM.
Old 01-28-12, 12:03 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbadwullf
When I finish
My theory also. Did the Garrett County Gran Fondo, MD last year and with 12,800 ft. of hard climbing, time is meaningless. If you cramp up like I did then just finishing is all you hope for. A totally flat century might be fast but sounds boring.
Old 01-28-12, 09:07 AM
carpe diem

Bikes: CAAD 9 , Schwinn World, Prologue, Madison , Sports Tourer ; Ironman , Opus lll , Allez , Peugeot 753, Trek 531 (2) , Assenmacher ( custom)

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My one and only century in 2011 was 6 hours, 7 mins. of actual saddle time. That was riding (and drafting) in a group of 10. Figuring in all the breaks, time was about 7.5 hours. I'll probably have close to the same time in 2012.
Old 01-28-12, 02:32 PM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Good for you. I have had some very enjoyable 7-8-9 hour century rides. Not just to say I did it, but rather to experience doing it. I have never even considered the possibility of riding 100 miles in less than 5 hours and don't imagine I ever will.
"To each his own" said the old lady as she kissed the cow.
So true. I know I guy that I ride circles around, but he's done several Paris-Brest-Paris rides, something that I doubt that I could do either physically or mentally.
Old 01-28-12, 02:38 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Only done a couple of hundred mile days. Both times towing a trailer and loaded down with camping gear.
I was in the 12-13 hr range.
I was in my mid 40s last time, so not sure if I could even do it now.
Old 01-28-12, 09:05 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
For me, enjoying the ride means physical comfort and a leisurely pace including stops for food, snacks, visits with other cyclists, and photo ops. As much as I respect the training dedication and skill that is required to complete five hour centuries, that's just not my thing.

That being said, so far I've always used one of my LWB recumbents for century rides. I've found that I can ride comfortably all day long at a leisurely pace with only a minimum amount of training.

Time has not been a concern so far and I don't expect it to be in the future. My first century was in September of '07 and I was out for about eight hours total, which included a lunch stop and a couple of short rest breaks. The four or five centuries I've ridden since have been about the same, between eight and nine hours including food and drink stops.

In answer to the OP's question...I do plan on one century for 2012. I intend for it to be my 2nd annual birthday celebration solo century ride. The local recumbent enthusiast group usually schedules a tour for the following weekend and if the weather cooperates I may ride a century then also. They will both be slow and easy.
Old 01-29-12, 12:23 PM
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
The century rides I've done are mostly through farmlands with rolling hills (where maybe one or two are notably long or steep -- nothing that requires switchbacks or anything). I usually average 15-16 mph on the bike and finish in 7 hours or so. I tend to do these rides with small groups of varying abilities so we wait for everyone to show up at each of the rest stops and socialize a bit. That actually works against me because after a while it really hurts for the first mile back on the bike after a stop! I've never tried to finish one in a particular time or at a particular pace.