Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Minor Rant about Change

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Minor Rant about Change

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-12, 10:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Minor Rant about Change

Recently I completed a new commuter/shopping bike. It's a Trek Lane CX with full fenders, racks, lights, etc. I already have a commuter bike, but wanted this one, because....well, you know...the N+1 drive is a hard one to ignore. When starting the project, my wife asked why I was doing it. I told her that my current bike wasn't really setup to handle loads (I generally carry what I need to work with my Chrome messenger bag). She asked what loads I needed to carry. I informed her that I wanted to stop taking the car to the grocery store 2 miles away from our home. That I thought it would be better for me and the environment if I made several trips during the week instead of one big trip every two weeks. She liked that plan.

Yesterday we found out that the store is closing at the end of next week. The entire chain to which this one belongs was bought by another chain, and they're shutting this one down. I know of several people in our neighborhood without cars who walk to this store. I'm not sure what they're going to do. And, the only way to get to the nearest grocery store to us now is by using highways that average over 25,000 cars per day. I know change is inevitable and often useful. But sometimes it's just a pain in the butt.
Old 01-27-12, 10:26 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Is it just me or does the RATE of change seem to be increasing. We still have a (not-too-big) CRT TV and the current ads are for 3-D. Cell phones advertise some number of G's and I don't even know what a G is. It seems to me that new ideas become outdated before I can get a grasp of them.

My daughter orders most of her groceries over the internet and has them delivered to her home. My wife and I are going in the opposite direction. We're planning to join an organic co-op this year. Isn't going to reduce our carbon footprint much because we have to go 10 miles each way over a not-bike-friendly route to pick up our produce.

Last edited by Retro Grouch; 01-27-12 at 10:35 AM.
Old 01-27-12, 10:53 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
In my experience the most noxious changes are the ones that involve someone making a financial profit at the expense of the community's residents. I saw it too many time in my 14 yrs. on my towns' Town Council. So much that after I resigned from the Council to take care of my dying father I ended up moving to a less developed town.
Old 01-27-12, 10:56 AM
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Is it just me or does the RATE of change seem to be increasing. We still have a (not-too-big) CRT TV and the current ads are for 3-D. Cell phones advertise some number of G's and I don't even know what a G is. It seems to me that new ideas become outdated before I can get a grasp of them.
When I started my first job in IT back in the late 70's, you had to have a large room filled with devices about the size of washing machines (and sounding like dryers) to have enough online storage currently packed in a smart phone. I can now go to the electronics store and buy a terabyte of disk space (1,000 Gigabytes) for about $100 and plug it into my netbook thru its USB port and have instant access without configuring anything. I don't know how many rooms of late 70's DASD that would take! And if you know what DASD stands for, you're obviously over 60 and have worked in IT from its early days. And probably know how to code JCL to run a batch job...

As for the supermarket, if you're lucky, some other supermarket chain will buy the discontinued store and reflag it, just like they do with motels. Or it will get converted to a parking lot or another disparate use, like they do with gas stations...

L.
Old 01-27-12, 11:03 AM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by lhbernhardt
When I started my first job in IT back in the late 70's, you had to have a large room filled with devices about the size of washing machines (and sounding like dryers) to have enough online storage currently packed in a smart phone. I can now go to the electronics store and buy a terabyte of disk space (1,000 Gigabytes) for about $100 and plug it into my netbook thru its USB port and have instant access without configuring anything. I don't know how many rooms of late 70's DASD that would take! And if you know what DASD stands for, you're obviously over 60 and have worked in IT from its early days. And probably know how to code JCL to run a batch job...

As for the supermarket, if you're lucky, some other supermarket chain will buy the discontinued store and reflag it, just like they do with motels. Or it will get converted to a parking lot or another disparate use, like they do with gas stations...

L.
Probably this^ Some other chain will probably pick up the location and reopen...
Old 01-27-12, 11:30 AM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
After several years of the VCR recorder sitting there hooked up to the TV, and not once being used, my son and daughter-in-law bought us a DVR.

I tried to hook it up - as they guaranteed it would be "easy." Well, it wasn't easy. Turns out we had to have a whole new antenna with two leads, requiring a $$ service call and drilling through our wall.

BUT, I will have to say, that after everything is now working (it required another call to DirectTV to get everything working correctly) it really is nice, as we can time shift 2 programs at a time very easily and can watch them when we want - i.e., early in the evening for last night shows that we did not want to stay up for.

As far as the "G" spot thing - well . . . !!!!

BTW - anyone want to buy a not-so-used VCR?? (or free, for that matter)

And, I started my knowledge of digital computers working in 1957 where they went around on skates replacing tubes in a huge building. They also had an analog computer.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 01-27-12 at 11:34 AM.
Old 01-27-12, 11:32 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Look on the bright side, you got to build your bike while you still had the excuse available to you.
Old 01-27-12, 11:48 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One of the lacal malls had a Big chain grocery store move out on them also,but the moving store had a clause in their lease that prevented the mall putting another grocery store in thier old space. No problem said the mall and renovated the space, then proceded to move all the tennants from a free standing building on the site into the old store's space. The mall then tore down the vacant building and built a new one which they then leased it out to an small independent food chain for a new grocery store. The Big chain took the mall to court and when the mall showed the judge the old lease and told them what they had done, the judge "laughed" and awarded costs to the mall. People come from all over the city to shop at the new store drivng past the old store's new store.
Old 01-27-12, 12:32 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by overthehillmedi
One of the lacal malls had a Big chain grocery store move out on them also,but the moving store had a clause in their lease that prevented the mall putting another grocery store in thier old space. No problem said the mall and renovated the space, then proceded to move all the tennants from a free standing building on the site into the old store's space. The mall then tore down the vacant building and built a new one which they then leased it out to an small independent food chain for a new grocery store. The Big chain took the mall to court and when the mall showed the judge the old lease and told them what they had done, the judge "laughed" and awarded costs to the mall. People come from all over the city to shop at the new store drivng past the old store's new store.
...and people say there's no justice anymore.
Old 01-27-12, 12:39 PM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
My lawn, get off it.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 01-27-12, 01:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We've had many stores and businesses close locally, most buildings remain vacant. Things are looking up though....a 24 hour Walmart opened Wednesday, it's only 3 miles away, yippee...
Old 01-27-12, 01:14 PM

Bikes: Sun EZ-Tad SX

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
L.
I know what DASD stands for, and I'm not over 60 - probably close enough, though, I suppose (56 next month). And I'm sure I could, with a little bit of study, get back to coding JCL to run a batch job - my last experience with that, though, would have been in the early 80's. It's been all DOS/Windows/Unix/Linux since then, with a minor detour through Banyan Vines networking. And if you find a terabyte drive for $100, grab it - the cheapest I've seen lately is $130 (the last one I bought, about a year ago, was $89), and they're probably going to keep going up until late this year/early next year due to the flooding in Thailand last year.
-Bob
-Bob
Old 01-27-12, 01:20 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by GFish
We've had many stores and businesses close locally, most buildings remain vacant.....a 24 hour Walmart opened Wednesday.
There's going to be more store closings.
Old 01-27-12, 01:22 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
All the books I read now are eBooks on my iPad. My entire business is on the verge of complete computerization. Our way of life now would have been incompressible to me when I was in college. I try to imagine what the next frontiers will be: nanobots destroying cancer cells, brain-wave operated computers, AI. It's exhilarating and terrifying all at once.

Old 01-27-12, 03:07 PM
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
And, the only way to get to the nearest grocery store to us now is by using highways that average over 25,000 cars per day.
I suggest moving to someplace with better bicycle access to your favorite grocery store.
If your new house has more room for bikes in the garage... bonus!

Last edited by DiabloScott; 01-27-12 at 07:15 PM.
Old 01-27-12, 08:35 PM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
I suggest moving to someplace with better bicycle access to your favorite grocery store.
If your new house has more room for bikes in the garage... bonus!
Tempting, but I currently live less than half a mile from 65+ miles of great bike paths, and three miles from my office.
Old 01-28-12, 09:12 AM

Bikes: '07 Trek 520, '09 Gary Fisher Triton, '04 Trek 8000, '85 Trek 500, '84 Trek 610, '85 Trek 510, '88 Trek 660, '92 Trek 930, Trek Multitrack 700

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by teachme
Probably this^ Some other chain will probably pick up the location and reopen...
This, or perhaps someone will open a nice pie shop.
"When I hear another express an opinion, which is not mine, I say to myself, He has a right to his opinion, as I to mine; why should I question it. His error does me no injury, and shall I become a Don Quixot to bring all men by force of argument, to one opinion? If a fact be misstated, it is probable he is gratified by a belief of it, and I have no right to deprive him of the gratification."

T. Jefferson
Old 01-28-12, 09:18 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

L.
We must have started in the IT world at about the same time. I started in '70 and remember everything you've mentioned. My first personal PC had larger storage capacity than the first mainframe computer I programmed.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 01-28-12, 09:19 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
Tempting, but I currently live less than half a mile from 65+ miles of great bike paths, and three miles from my office.
Time to find a new grocery store.
Old 01-28-12, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
Do you have a delivery service like PeaPod in your area?
Old 01-28-12, 10:43 AM
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
please, no more politics in here
Old 01-28-12, 12:55 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
please, no more politics in here
Thanks to the mod who cleaned up this thread and got it back on topic - well, at least as close to topic as we get in the 50+ subforum!
Old 01-28-12, 03:04 PM
alleged person

Bikes: 1970s Royal Scot 3-Speed, 2005 Breezer Villager 7-Speed IGH

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Thanks to the mod who cleaned up this thread and got it back on topic - well, at least as close to topic as we get in the 50+ subforum!
Yes, nice job!