Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Potholes in the road of life... (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/796324-potholes-road-life.html)

Digital Gee 02-03-12 01:28 AM

Potholes in the road of life...

1 Attachment(s)
Well, just as I caught the new bike fever, I have run over a pothole in the road of life. My car, a 2000 Toyota Avalon, has suddenly developed an issue today which will require major engine repair, and the early estimate is about $2,000.

There goes (for now) the new bike. I don't put things on credit anymore - haven't for two or three years now, so if I don't have the cash on hand, I don't spend it. So as much as I want a new bike NOW, it's going to have to be set aside for a while unless I get an unexpected windfall soon.

I can't tell you (but you already know) how disappointing this is. I shall have to be patient, remembering that this, too, shall pass.

Major bummer!!!

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=235931

Velo Fellow 02-03-12 02:41 AM

Gary...very sorry to hear about this disappointment....but your determination to return to cycling won't burn out soon-- will probably burn hotter while waiting a little longer than you planned. It seems doubly good now to vicariously ride and hang out here at 50Plus until your new bike shows up. If you look at Zonatandem, you've still got 20+ years ahead.

jethro56 02-03-12 04:04 AM

Someone has to pick up the slack here. I looked foward to your posts. It sure beats the I haven't ridden since High School and want to buy a Walley World Bike posts on the Clyde forum. (OK so I'm a snob)

NOS88 02-03-12 05:53 AM

New bike or car that works? Wouldn't it be nice if you live in a place where it was a no brainer. New bike, of course! But, for many of us, such is not our current reality. Could it be that there is a particular bike out there waiting for you, but that hasn't made itself yet available, AND it was fearful you would pull the trigger on another instead of it? Hence, the Avalon engine had to be sabotaged to keep you out of the new bike market for a few months. OK, probably not, but an active fantasy life can sometimes get you through disappointments.

GeezerPete 02-03-12 05:58 AM

I have a feeling you'll find a way.

bruce19 02-03-12 07:31 AM

I feel your pain. I am now in foreclosure on a house which was once my residence but recently has been rented to a single mother and four children. To make a very long story short...it turns out that this woman (and her husband who I did not know existed--he was in jail) is a long time scammer and she "squatted" in my house for 7 months without paying rent. I couldn't pay the mortgage. Sold a very collectable Ducati to try to stay afloat. But in CT the housing laws seem to favor the renters to such a degree that I am about to lose my house. And, she is "judgment proof" according to my lawyer. She has, so far, cost me over $15,000, most of which is now my debt since I live paycheck to paycheck. I have confidence things will get better but, like you, there's no new bike (or anything else) in my near future.

qcpmsame 02-03-12 07:37 AM

Sorry to hear the bad fortune Gary. Been there and feel for you. Use the time to carefully research bicycles and ride as many different types and models as possible. Please stick around 50+ and BF while you are still waiting, this time.

Bill

donheff 02-03-12 07:44 AM

Hmm. On this one maybe you should view it as decision made, money spent on the bike. Had that already occurred you would have no choice other than to deal with the unexpected car cost some other way. Treat that as the reality just this once and get on with enjoying life?

DnvrFox 02-03-12 07:48 AM

In the meantime . . .

Garage sales

Craigslist

All you need is two wheels, a frame of sorts, tires and a pedaler (you).

My first bike in 1998 was $25.00. It worked and I rode.

Dan Burkhart 02-03-12 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 13803570)
In the meantime . . .

Garage sales

Craigslist

All you need is two wheels, a frame of sorts, tires and a pedaler (you).

My first bike in 1998 was $25.00. It worked and I rode.

Good plan. It will make that new bike all the sweeter when it finally comes.

DnvrFox 02-03-12 08:09 AM

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/bik/2812330543.html

Classic vintage schwinn continental . 100% original, selle royal seat, shimano components .extremely rare! a real beach cruiser , comfort bike , road bike - priced to sell! $129.. call.. 858 254 5063

I bet you could get it for $100. This would WOW other riders.

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/...cosas362-1.jpg

bud16415 02-03-12 10:21 AM

New is not in my vocabulary my father in law once told me and I think he might have been right. I took these photos last fall while cleaning out the barn and putting the junk bikes away for winter. I lined up what I thought were my favorite bikes the ones that if someone (wife) said look get rid of all that junk (classic bikes and parts) I would have to insist on keeping the absolute core of my two wheel transportation. If my n+1 had to reach and end at 6 this would be it, and I think I could live happily ever after with just these 6 (not).

I didn’t think much about cost until I read this thread and not having a bike n+1=zero (ugg). So I looked at the photo of my pride and joys and thought I would try and estimate a cost of the whole fleet. And it came in at $684 or an average cost per bike of $114. That’s about the cost of a Walmart bike.

It boils down for me is your pot hole half full or half empty. For me the joy of biking is getting on a machine you love and getting the wind in your face.

Schwinn MesaRunner clone beach cruiser. Schwinn needing RD $10, Beach bike donor $1, RD donor free. Total cost $11
Soma 10 speed clone to a 3 speed. Soma bike with taco rear wheel and RD $8, 3 speed donor curb find trash night free, rattle can GMC blue truck paint $6. Total cost $14
Concord Selecta 12 Garage sale find asking $40 offered $30. Inverted Schwinn bars from free donor. Total cost $30
KHS Montana Team mtn bike clone commuter hybrid. Garage sale $10, Tires $80, stem, rack, riser bars donor, bar ends $25, grips $7, Mirror $17. Total cost $139
Windsor Tourist. Bike asking $300 Traded 5 mtn bikes garage sale finds totaling $60 plus $100 cash, assorted extras required for touring used and new $250. Total cost $410
Cannondale road bike. Craigslist find (not hot) $75 Touch up paint $5. Total cost $80
http://inlinethumb35.webshots.com/49...600x600Q85.jpg

Retro Grouch 02-03-12 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 13803570)
In the meantime . . .

What size do you need?

Digital Gee 02-03-12 12:08 PM

You guys are so cool! You're helping me "reframe" (no pun intended) my situation. It's not the end of the world, it's the (temporary) end of the new bike paradigm. Denver, I will check out that ad. THANKS! Retro, I'd like a 56" frame.

I do have a bike; it's not like I'm bikefree. I will start riding my Globe again, and scope out the various rides out here in East County. It's not a bad bike; it just doesn't know how to whisper sweet nothings in my ear and beg to be taken for a ride every time I see it. That said, there's no reason I can't start riding it and getting back in shape and continue my N+1 quest for The Bike, right?

Donheff, if I had already bought the bike, you're right, I'd figure out a path forward and manage to get the car fixed as well. But, I've been having this conversation in my head between the Adult in me and the Child in me, and the Adult is suggesting that I might learn something by trying prudence for once. :)

Bottom line, it's just a delay, like a bit of rain in the second inning in a baseball game. I actually started this post hoping you folks would help me see the glass half full, because I was fixating on the glass half empty. You've done that!

Bruce19, all I can say is whoa! I can relate (had some parallel situations so I truly understand how frustrating yours is). Good luck and thanks for sharing.

Meantime, I'll continue the search, ride my Globe, and carry on! ;)

Digital Gee 02-03-12 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by jethro56 (Post 13803303)
I haven't ridden since High School and want to buy a Walley World Bike posts on the Clyde forum. (OK so I'm a snob)

How did you know?

Digital Gee 02-03-12 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by NOS88 (Post 13803360)
Could it be that there is a particular bike out there waiting for you, but that hasn't made itself yet available, AND it was fearful you would pull the trigger on another instead of it? Hence, the Avalon engine had to be sabotaged to keep you out of the new bike market for a few months. OK, probably not, but an active fantasy life can sometimes get you through disappointments.

I actually believe there is probably some truth in this. I keep remembering to trust the Universe to provide, and it usually comes through. I would have preferred a different "put this on hold" tactic, if I had my druthers (which reminds me, which is better - AL drummers or full carbon?) but I think you're right. My next bike IS out there somewhere, either in the form of parts in a manufacturing facility waiting to be assembled just in time for me, or in the form of a well loved but no longer wanted used cycle on Craigslist.

Digital Gee 02-03-12 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by bud16415 (Post 13804118)
It boils down for me is your pot hole half full or half empty. For me the joy of biking is getting on a machine you love and getting the wind in your face.

Ain't it the truth! Thanks for reminding me. :)

miss kenton 02-03-12 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee (Post 13804617)
I actually believe there is probably some truth in this. I keep remembering to trust the Universe to provide, and it usually comes through. I would have preferred a different "put this on hold" tactic, if I had my druthers (which reminds me, which is better - AL drummers or full carbon?) but I think you're right. My next bike IS out there somewhere, either in the form of parts in a manufacturing facility waiting to be assembled just in time for me, or in the form of a well loved but no longer wanted used cycle on Craigslist.

Ha! This leads to my suggestion--
Buy a raffle ticket and enter contests! Don't laugh! Before I left the house the night of a women's specific night event that I knew would hold a raffle, I told my husband, "I'm going to win the Trek tonight." I did. Put it out in the Universe, but give it a little help.
(I just entered the Terry contest. I am trying to build my stable, one good fortune at a time.;))

bud16415 02-03-12 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee (Post 13804634)
Ain't it the truth! Thanks for reminding me. :)

YW

This thread is more physiological than mechanical and more metaphysical than monetary. And it comes on a week when I attended 3 funerals of friends and two of them being under 50. I won’t say that every ride these days is pain free or not needing motivation to get started, but every ride has some point in it where something youthful takes over. That feeling is all I need as a motivator these days. Maybe that’s where the metaphysical takes over and an old iron Schwinn rides like a new carbon fiber. Every day we get to still hop on any bike and “ride it like you stole it” is a good day.

teachme 02-03-12 01:10 PM

You could do link sales on Saturdays until you raise enough money for a new bike. ( Just an idea )

stapfam 02-03-12 02:25 PM

Just about to go carless--That's why I want another bike-- But Buses-Trains--Feet or cycles--

Retro Grouch 02-04-12 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee (Post 13804598)
I do have a bike; it's not like I'm bikefree. I will start riding my Globe again, and scope out the various rides out here in East County. It's not a bad bike; it just doesn't know how to whisper sweet nothings in my ear and beg to be taken for a ride every time I see it. That said, there's no reason I can't start riding it and getting back in shape and continue my N+1 quest for The Bike, right?

Meantime, I'll continue the search, ride my Globe, and carry on! ;)

Deege, you've stumbled into the best of all situations.

The purpose of the your first bike is to help you figure out what you want in your next bike. You're living in a new place with different terraine, a different climate, and a new bike store. Ride the Globe for at least 6 months and just think of it as your first bike.

Have fun shopping for your new n+1.

Gravity Aided 02-04-12 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by jethro56 (Post 13803303)
Someone has to pick up the slack here. I looked foward to your posts. It sure beats the I haven't ridden since High School and want to buy a Walley World Bike posts on the Clyde forum. (OK so I'm a snob)

I think you have good sense, sir. No one who hasn't ridden since High School (ew-really?) should be on a bike that may essplode and make the children cry when they see it.

Gravity Aided 02-04-12 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by bud16415 (Post 13804118)
New is not in my vocabulary my father in law once told me and I think he might have been right. I took these photos last fall while cleaning out the barn and putting the junk bikes away for winter. I lined up what I thought were my favorite bikes the ones that if someone (wife) said look get rid of all that junk (classic bikes and parts) I would have to insist on keeping the absolute core of my two wheel transportation. If my n+1 had to reach and end at 6 this would be it, and I think I could live happily ever after with just these 6 (not).

I didn’t think much about cost until I read this thread and not having a bike n+1=zero (ugg). So I looked at the photo of my pride and joys and thought I would try and estimate a cost of the whole fleet. And it came in at $684 or an average cost per bike of $114. That’s about the cost of a Walmart bike.

Schwinn MesaRunner clone beach cruiser. Schwinn needing RD $10, Beach bike donor $1, RD donor free. Total cost $11
Soma 10 speed clone to a 3 speed. Soma bike with taco rear wheel and RD $8, 3 speed donor curb find trash night free, rattle can GMC blue truck paint $6. Total cost $14
Concord Selecta 12 Garage sale find asking $40 offered $30. Inverted Schwinn bars from free donor. Total cost $30
KHS Montana Team mtn bike clone commuter hybrid. Garage sale $10, Tires $80, stem, rack, riser bars donor, bar ends $25, grips $7, Mirror $17. Total cost $139
Windsor Tourist. Bike asking $300 Traded 5 mtn bikes garage sale finds totaling $60 plus $100 cash, assorted extras required for touring used and new $250. Total cost $410
Cannondale road bike. Craigslist find (not hot) $75 Touch up paint $5. Total cost $80
http://inlinethumb35.webshots.com/49...600x600Q85.jpg

Those Somas were truly great bikes,
back in the day .
I was lusting after one
when I started lusting after
the Now Mrs. GA
Finances being what they were ,
the Soma idea went by the wayside

VNA 02-04-12 11:13 AM

Health is the only kind of pot holes in one's life--the rest is incidental.

Not being able to buy the bike one wants is an inconvenience nothing more!

It is also an inconvenience to me that I cannot buy my Ferrari--on the second thought--may be not!