Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Any bikejournal.com fans out there? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/796869-any-bikejournal-com-fans-out-there.html)

Digital Gee 02-05-12 10:25 PM

Any bikejournal.com fans out there?

I discovered I'm still "on" bikejournal.com, with a free account. I haven't been keeping track of my rides since 2008 (and haven't been riding much since 2009). But they still have my log going back to 2006.

Free is cool, of course, but limits how many fields you can enter into your log. Wondering if there are any other 50+ers on the site, and if you have any comments about the value of buying a membership. It's about $24/year, if I remember correctly.

I will say it was a trip down memory lane to see all the bikes I've listed over the years. I'd forgotten many of them!

cranky old dude 02-05-12 10:55 PM

I too have a free account with same handle as I use here.

I sometimes wonder if more fields would be nice to have. In the meantime I just build Excel spread sheets to satisfy my record keeping and calculating wants.

billydonn 02-06-12 12:34 AM

I have a paid membership and have been recording every ride there (same username as here) since June 2008. The extra fields are nice alright. The membership allows you to download and save your rides into an Excel file.

I don't think they are actively working to improve the software at the site.

BlazingPedals 02-06-12 07:03 AM

I've got a paid membership, although I only use the features that I'd have gotten for free. Same name there as here.

DnvrFox 02-06-12 07:56 AM

I've still got a membership (I think) but I had trouble recording rides of less than 1/4 mile!!

DEK 02-06-12 08:06 AM

I use it with the free membership. I like comparing my total miles to others but not into all the other stats.

tsl 02-06-12 08:26 AM

Paid member since I started cycling in 2006.

I have all my privacy settings set public. I use some of the extra fields some of the time. I have a different username here since some imposter already had taken "brucew" when I signed up. I'm brucew at BikeJournal and everywhere else on the web.

My BikeJournal Profile
My BikeJournal Ride Log

This is my second year as "recording secretary" for the 2012 Commuter Cycling Century Challenge, where the goal is 100 round-trip commutes in the year.

lookinUp 02-06-12 12:11 PM

I also use Bike Journal under the same name as here. Like DGee, I have rides from several years ago still in their database. Quit riding because of a bad knee five years ago and finally got the knee replaced and have been riding again and logging rides. Really like the comparison to others in the Stats section. It helps me set goals for distance (i.e. be among the top 500 people who post their rides - not there yet - in the 750 group at the moment )

billydonn 02-06-12 03:24 PM

And one more thing: they say they sell jerseys at BJ but none are ever, ever available. I think ole Slants has been on vacation from doing anything with the site for a couple years now. Still, it's a decent place to record one's rides and I REALLY like being able to look back at the kind of rides I was doing a year or two ago.

But since I am such a "stop and smell the roses" kind of guy I do not find the comparisons with others all that motivating. YMMV.

bigbadwullf 02-06-12 03:53 PM

Didn't even know about it. Thanks.

Want MORE columns? yikes.

Condorita 02-06-12 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by billydonn (Post 13817315)
But since I am such a "stop and smell the roses" kind of guy I do not find the comparisons with others all that motivating. YMMV.

Yep. That. Trails are boring after you've seen them in every "season" that we have here, which is why I roam around other places.

What are the other fields offered in the paid sub? The fields in the free version are enough for me, although I like the Elapsed Time available on DailyMile.com.

goldfinch 02-06-12 05:22 PM

I just started with Bike Journal a couple of months ago and I paid. I use the extra fields like a diary. :)

tsl 02-06-12 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Condorita (Post 13817641)
What are the other fields offered in the paid sub?

http://www.brucew.com/images/bikejou...og-columns.png

10 Wheels 02-06-12 06:35 PM

I get the paid membership free from my club dues.

TenWheels Number 68 on the 2012 Total Distance Stats.

Dudelsack 02-06-12 06:43 PM

TMI. Reminds me of tax season.

bjjoondo 02-06-12 06:58 PM

LOL, I'm to cheap for anything but the "FREE" version but it's easy to use, better than some other's I've tried! Jmho, ymmv.

Jim from Boston 02-06-12 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by cranky old dude (Post 13814704)
I too have a free account with same handle as I use here.

I sometimes wonder if more fields would be nice to have. In the meantime I just build Excel spread sheets to satisfy my record keeping and calculating wants.

I looked at the available fields on tsl’s bikejournal log, and wondered what other kind of data you (and others) collect? As a year round commuter and occasional centurian who trains on his commute, I record ride mileage, time, average speed and average cadence as general cycling parameters. For each individual ride I record route and arraival time. I might also comment about the weather, usually about strong winds, and rarely about noteable events on the ride. I use different colors for my good road bike and my beater mountain bike. I record daily, with an excuse field when I don’t ride.

When my work situation was different, I had a seemingly perverse field called “5:00 AM checkpoint” to record where en route I was at that hour. One useful item I tracked in my first year of serious training was “warm-up point.” That was the mileage at which I spontaneously noted that I felt really good, and “in the groove,” which I interpreted as fully warmed up. I did not conscientiously seek that spot, but recorded it when I noted it. Over about four months I learned it occurred at about 6 to 7 miles. So now when I do a distance ride, I take it easy up until that point.

I also similarly recorded a “first fatigue mile” when I started to feel the burn in my legs, at an average of about 25 miles, on training rides from 40 to 75 miles.

McCallum 02-06-12 09:48 PM

I use it free;log miles better than the treky I have at the bottom of posts. mccallum is the name there also. $20/year to get perks

cranky old dude 02-07-12 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston (Post 13818865)
I looked at the available fields on tsl’s bikejournal log, and wondered what other kind of data you (and others) collect? As a year round commuter and occasional centurian who trains on his commute, I record ride mileage, time, average speed and average cadence as general cycling parameters. For each individual ride I record route and arraival time. I might also comment about the weather, usually about strong winds, and rarely about noteable events on the ride. I use different colors for my good road bike and my beater mountain bike. I record daily, with an excuse field when I don’t ride.

When my work situation was different, I had a seemingly perverse field called “5:00 AM checkpoint” to record where en route I was at that hour. One useful item I tracked in my first year of serious training was “warm-up point.” That was the mileage at which I spontaneously noted that I felt really good, and “in the groove,” which I interpreted as fully warmed up. I did not conscientiously seek that spot, but recorded it when I noted it. Over about four months I learned it occurred at about 6 to 7 miles. So now when I do a distance ride, I take it easy up until that point.

I also similarly recorded a “first fatigue mile” when I started to feel the burn in my legs, at an average of about 25 miles, on training rides from 40 to 75 miles.

Most of the data I keep on Excel spreadsheets are equipment realted. I record everything from serial numbers and equipment specs. to maintainance records. None of it is very important, I'm just a data junkie.

bigbadwullf 02-07-12 08:28 AM

Past miles/ average speed and maybe total time what else is there? Overkill. What's next on the list, total cars encountered? How many animals did you see? How many potholes? Alien crafts?

hunyak 02-07-12 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by bigbadwullf (Post 13820122)
Past miles/ average speed and maybe total time what else is there? Overkill. What's next on the list, total cars encountered? How many animals did you see? How many potholes? Alien crafts?

Altitude gain,
Bike (some of us have more than one)
Road or Mountain
Route