Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Curious what food you bring/eat on your rides?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-12, 10:58 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by bikecommuter99

Thanks.
Turduckin. :-)

Seriously just finger food (energy bars, trail mix, goo) and energy/electrolyte mix in my water bottles. Most rides there is somewhere to stop to get food. If I'm going somewhere I know there won't be a food stop I'll make a sandwich and stuff it into one of my jersey pockets.
Old 07-15-12, 11:01 AM

Bikes: Fuji, Specialized, Surly, BMC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
This is what I'm talking about. A lot cheaper than all the synthetic stuff people are chowing down. Unfortunately American Coke made with fructose hurts my stomach. If you could only buy Mexican Coke (made with sucrose) at convenience stores. I get the good stuff at Krogers and it's $1.40 per ten ounce bottle
Where I live all the convenience stores have coca cola in glass bottles from Mexico. I never drink sodas with sugar unless I'm on a really hot ride in my area; so sometimes I will have one. A lot of the people I ride with will buy one of the Mexico sodas midway during our group rides.

They really do taste better.

Guess it helps that I live five miles from the border ;-) Now if we could just do something about the heat and humidity!
Old 07-15-12, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Before a morning ride, i always have a bowl of muesli with milk- it gives me lots of slow release energy. I would usually have a couple of cereal bars and a banana in my pocket. I only drink water, as a rule. I used to be in a club that always stopped for lunch, 50 miles from home, at a pub. The memory of those rides home is pretty grim- but avoiding wobbly back wheels probably helped my bike handling.............
Old 07-15-12, 11:41 AM

Bikes: 1989 Fuji Saratoga, Salsa Mukluk, Electra Townie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bananas and dates.
Old 07-15-12, 11:55 AM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Like others I don't bring anything for rides less than 40 miles. For rides up to four hours I like to bring a banana, powerbar, bag of trail mix, and sometimes fig newtons, cookies or jelly doughnuts. I've been known to carry a roast beef sandwich or stop at Burger King but that's more on the order of a regular meal than on-ride fuel.
Old 07-15-12, 12:07 PM

Bikes: Treck lexa SC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Always take 1 bottle water and 1 bottle with nuun tablets in it. Take additional nuun tabs to use as needed.

Shorter rides, take these slightly odd things all our groceries sell called buddy fruits. They are in packets like gels, but are basically pureed fruit and sugar--kind of like high octane apple sauce. For longer rides add PB & J and almonds and possibly beef jerky.
Old 07-15-12, 12:28 PM

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
If a ride is long enough to bring food on, I've lately been eating a sandwich of some sort. Peanut butter and banana is good. Today's sandwich was turkey and lettuce on dark bread.
Old 07-15-12, 12:30 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Up to 30 miles nothing except water. Right at 30 a banana and or apple. 35 is about my limit
Old 07-15-12, 02:13 PM

Bikes: Scott CR1 Team

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
< 40 miles - just water with 0 carb electrolyte tablets. Longer rides - KIND + fruit and nut bars I get from REI: 210 cals, 17 grams carb, 10 grams protein. I bring 1 bar for every 15-20 miles over 40 miles.
Old 07-15-12, 03:30 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Depends on the ride--Distance-Length of time and how hard. On the long rides I used to do and it was snacks in the pocket and munch from shortly after the start. Fig Newtons- Dried fruit mix- Cereal bars- Cake and some protein in the form of cheese. This kept me going till about 6 hours in and then it was something more substantial to eat- A Marmite Sandwich- creamed rice or noodles. Snacks after this were something soft that did not take much effort to eat as the throat used to dry up.

But after the event then it was fat and grease in the form of KFC-and lots of it. No idea why but all I wanted after all that effort was fat. And to replace all the calories used up in the ride.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-15-12, 04:30 PM

Bikes: domane trek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cliff blocks and a cliff bar
Old 07-15-12, 04:40 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Scooby snacks. (gummies)
Old 07-15-12, 04:56 PM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I now do 37 mile rides as a norm--eat a Quaker Oats breakfast bar around the 23 or so mile mark. Before I start a ride I still eat a banana and half a slice of rye or pumpernickel bread and drink a 16oz cup of water. When I did a 60 miler, I also ate a cut up apple around the 40 mile mark.
Old 07-15-12, 07:00 PM

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
These :

Take a few out of the freezer just before the ride, enjoy a PB&J on the road. No mess, no cutting sandwiches, no jam squeezing onto your riding gloves.

Very convenient.
Old 07-15-12, 07:51 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by DGlenday
These :

Take a few out of the freezer just before the ride, enjoy a PB&J on the road. No mess, no cutting sandwiches, no jam squeezing onto your riding gloves.

Very convenient.
That's a very weird product when you can make the original at a fraction of the cost.

Old 07-15-12, 08:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Up to about four hours, I just bring water after eating a decent breakfast. I get home in real need of food, though. Longer rides, I take roasted nuts, oranges or tangerines, dried fruit. I have used Zone bars and Balance bars, but they perform no miracles for me. If I happen to have other portable foods I'll take those, such as Trader Joe's "wrap" sandwiches.
Old 07-15-12, 10:04 PM

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lord Chaos
Up to about four hours, I just bring water after eating a decent breakfast.
True - I only take food on centuries or longer.
Old 07-16-12, 10:40 AM
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Yen
And fat. I know! fat is OK, I'm not afraid of it. But how much fat is too much fat on a long-distance ride? It digests more slowly. I would like to take Larabars but some of them contain 10g of fat, others only 5g. How much is enough, and how much is too much? Does it depend on the pace of the ride?

Also - I've read to consume 200-300 calories/hour on long rides. Most of the suggestions listed above wouldn't amount to that.

I prefer eating real food but I like Clif Bloks and Honey Stinger chews and honey.
You always have enough fat stores (regardless of how thin you are) for a ride of any length, so don't worry about fat during a ride. If there is some in the bar, it's no big deal, but there is no reason to intentionally add fat. For your long rides, just add a little protein into the mix of what you eat. Honey is a wonderful source of carb's. On the recommendation of our physiologist, it's what most of the folks on my team use during rides and races: honey and water mixed in a flask. Unless you are in the 3+ hour range, it's all you need, as you are only looking to replace the glycogen you burn. But do get some easily digestible protein into your system as soon as you finish your ride, so the amino acids are there as your muscles are rebuilding.

Here is an article by our physiologist (Ben Stone) on recovery supplements: https://www.sigmacoaching.com/recovery-supplements/
Old 07-16-12, 11:05 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
banana; chocolate covered raisins and or regular raisins are staples of mine. I will often also pack whatever granola bar I can find in the cupboard. if I go on a long ride with a lunch break I like a fresh chicken or turkey deli sandwich.

I knew a guy that swore by PB&J sandwiches cut into quaters that he could consume at regular intervals without stopping.
Old 07-16-12, 11:14 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
AzTallRider ~ nice link btw!
Old 07-16-12, 11:35 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by AzTallRider
Here is an article by our physiologist (Ben Stone) on recovery supplements: https://www.sigmacoaching.com/recovery-supplements/
Had a quick read but didn't understand one statement: "Make sure whatever product you choose is high in sugar and NOT maltodextrin. Sugar will spike insulin as quickly as possible making the entry of carbohydrates into muscle much more expedient." I don't eat maltodextrin after a ride but I'm curious why he appears so strongly against it.
Old 07-16-12, 12:03 PM
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As a general rule, Ben likes to keep things as pure, simple, and unprocessed as possible. I don't know if he has an overall objection to maltodextrin, or just for this application, but I'll ask next time I see him.
Old 07-16-12, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It sounds like some of you guys ride just so you can eat all kinds of delicious snacks.

One simple food to take on a ride is a baked sweet potato. You can eat the peel and you have no trash left over. Your mileage per potato may vary so make sure that you carry enough.
Old 07-16-12, 12:43 PM

Bikes: Bacchetta CA2.0

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I do a short 46 mile on Saturdays. It's before breakfast so I always stop at the same store and enjoy some crackers and a Gatoraide. That's at the halfway point. This past Saturday, I forgot my water bottle but it was before the heat set in - I was lucky!

If I'm on a longer ride (i.e. brevet), I eat 2 - 4 Fig Newtons every hour and wash it down with water mixed with Nunn's as I ride from control-to-control where I can grab a sandwich or something more solid.

If the temps are high or if the distance is more than 200 miles, I'll also chew a couple of antacids every 2-3 hours after lunch - it seems to help eliminate cramping.

If it's an organized ride or a brevet that has more support, I'll eat whatever they offer. My favorites are baked potato that has been cut into bite size pieces, fruit, cold Starbucks coffees, PBJ sandwiches - you name it, I'll eat it.
Old 07-16-12, 01:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting note on the sweet potato. I ran into some backpackers years ago who said the same thing: easy to carry, and good nutrition. I like sweet potatoes/yams, but have yet to try one on a ride.

I should also note, re what I posted earlier, that my typical four-hour ride is not a century. It's around 30 to 40 miles, climbing something like 3000 feet total. First 2.5 hours or so is mostly level riding and then climb, after that some minor up and down, and then the long descent to home. So, in road-ride terms, it's more like two hours' worth of work.

Last edited by Lord Chaos; 07-16-12 at 01:18 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.