Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Sadistic N+1 forced me out for a ride.

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 02-11-12, 10:06 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Woke up this morning to -10C temp and it was cold. The Pinnie spent the night in the kitchen as I decided it was too cold to make the final adjustments to it for a ride sometime this weekend.10am and it was still cold but Pinnie was screaming in my ear to go out for a ride. Needn't be a long one- just down to the town and back to the Farmers Market- only 5 miles at the most. So time to dress up and it was going to be a 4 layer day. Thermal bace layer- long sleeve top- Roubaix overjacket and the windproof to stop cold air hitting the body. Found the Ski mask last month and I had the full gloves and I had those new Assos Winter socks to try out. And the Tights were in the drawer somewhere. 20 minutes later and I felt like the Michelin man and we were ready. Water bottle with water in it as it was not going to be a long ride.

Down the road and I noticed two things- The bars need to be angled up a bit and Where's the saddle? I could not feel it- just as I hoped it would be but unusual for a new one. Slight slope up to the town and it was cold -7C as I left home but it only going to be a short ride. Got to the market and only a few stalls so nothing worth looking at but I did not feel too cold--so extend the ride a bit. Down to the LBS to show them the bike.

The ride is beatiful. Other than the bars being angled wrong- there are no further adjustments to make, Cockpit is perfect- Gears are smoother than silk and ratios perfect. Kept my speed down though as wind chill was taking a big effect above 15mph. No road buzz and it rides smoothly. Maybe the wheels but the tyres have to go before long. They do not roll as good as my Michelin PR's and I could feel that. Slight slope coming up and put in a bit of effort. Out of the saddle to build up momentum and it felt so good- I stayed standing all the way up. Rarely do that on this slope so balance must be good. Then up the next slope and sitting this time and climbed it a couple of gears higher than usual. Cadence may have been down a bit but no problem. Got to the LBS and this is the first Pinarello Uno they have sold. They had a good look at it and were pleased except for my taping of the bars - but this is the first time I have ever done that.

Onto Fusciardi's on the seafront for coffee and Pie.

Except the temp was still way down and the only pie was apple and it was in the chiller cabinet. Had a Sausage and bacon baguette instead and boy was it good.

Time for a hill and up the ZigZags. 1 mile at 8% and is easier than it sounds--Except this was easier than it should have been. Just eaten-Plenty of clothing to slow me down and COLD. The bike sailed up and still had a couple of gears left. Time for the downhill but I cheickened out. Took it steady as there was still some ice on the corners and that windchill factor was not good.

Time to head home and Eastbourne was empty. No cars- no shoppers and no problems. Too cold for any mortals out there but I felt as though I was a god this morning. It may be the cheapest Pinnie they make but if that is the case- I must take care never to ride a Dogma. I can't afford one. The bike rides exactly as I had hoped--Well better than i had hoped because I can see this is going to be the bike for the "Special" rides in future. One of the others will find it own place as the runaround bike because my new Pinarrelo Uno rides too well to be used for shopping trips. __Unless those shopping trips are going to be 50 miles or more as the bike just wants to do the milage with comfort and ease.

Just a point about the weather. Got home and it was still-7c and the water in my water bottle rattles. That was one cold ride- Or would have been if it hadn't been such fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC00189.jpg (101.6 KB, 72 views)

Spike Milligan
Old 02-11-12, 10:13 AM
Senior Moment

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 4.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yah Baby! that pix is nice. great report. but really -10C? ouch.
Old 02-11-12, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Just as I expected, that Pinnie is way too nice to be used as a shopping bike.

Time to pick up an old beater bike or frame and use up those old parts laying around in your shed.
Old 02-11-12, 10:43 AM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
A great ride story. Glad that you enjoyed it as much as you did. Living in Florida, I'm not one to get out in temperatures less than 50º F, so better your than me. In fact the northern boys have send us some of their cold weather for this weekend, and then it goes back to the high 70's on Monday.

I finally got to take my N+1 out this morning for it's first club ride. I was really pleased with the way it handled the old brick streets that we have downtown. Still trying to get used to the compact double as opposed to the triple that I was used to riding on the Defy. No real hills to climb, but there was a pretty steep bridge we had to go over and it was a bit of a struggle towards the top since I was trying to find the right gear on the way up. I think I need to hit some of the hilly areas of Florida and do some practicing.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 02-11-12, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Look at the bright side, it could have been -10F like the yanks like their minus weather , and also any ride is better than none.
Old 02-11-12, 12:34 PM

Bikes: Trek Pilot 5.9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As long as no body parts froze and dropped off, I guess you'd have to rate the ride a success!

I'm glad you enjoyed your new bike.

Thanks for the writeup. Like all cyclists, I enjoy hearing about how all the different makes and models handle and ride.
Old 02-11-12, 01:39 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Nice bike Stap! And fun report too.
Old 02-11-12, 01:47 PM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Woke up this morning to -10C temp and it was cold.... Just a point about the weather. Got home and it was still-7c and the water in my water bottle rattles. That was one cold ride- Or would have been if it hadn't been such fun.
I believe this says it all! Once, again congrats on your new addition. It looks to keep you healthy and out there moving about.
Old 02-11-12, 01:49 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
Awesome ride 12F below freezing....Brrrr.

Old 02-11-12, 02:53 PM
Time for a change.

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I'll be honest and I have been wimping out on rides recently. To get ready for my retirement- I have a lot of work to do. NOT Work--work but garden has to be cleared so that come April 1st- I can start setting the seed and planting the Veg that has to germinate now to give me a full summer of growing and eating. Lots to do--How I will ever get this done If I have to work-I'll never know. Then the shed has to be cleared for that new bike I am getting as a retirement present to myself--OK-I know it came early but I couldn't get in the garden.

My current bikes are 5 years old and if this is 5 years development of frames and groupset- then I should have done it earlier. Tiagra and it is shifting better than my mix of 2007 105/ultegra that I have on the other bikes. Wheels and I have a fetish about them. Shimano R500's are not up to my standard so I reckon that I will be trying the handbuilts once I have settled into the Pinnie- or the Ultegra's. The bike weighed in at 17.5lbs so a lighter wheelset and tyres could lose 1 lb. My reason for "Choosing" Aluminium over CF is that I like my Boreas and prefer it to the TCR-C. Personal choice but the other reason is that an Ally bike would be cheaper.May be the MTB experience but I can take a harsh ride providing it handles. Didn't have much chance to check the handling today but The bike felt precise- didn't get me worried- even on the few bits of iced road I could not avoid- and from the get-go it felt secure. Boreas felt like that when I got it but the TCR took a lot of work to feel right.

Although the Uno is the cheapest Pinarello made- it is not a cheap bike. On the face of it for an ally frame and Tiagra groupset it is overpriced but There is more to this bike than the Name. I reckon the frame is as good as Boreas on feel and handling and just the frame and forks of Boreas cost more than the price I paid for the Uno.

I took a gamble on Purchasing the Uno-And it has paid off. So any of you looking for n+1 that works and cannot run to the price of the higher end CF bikes- Get a test ride on the UNO. It works.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-11-12, 04:21 PM

Bikes: 1981 Motobecane Mirage, 1987 Peugeot Tourmalet, EZ Racer recumbent, 1994 Trek Singletrack 930, 1999 Canndondale SuperV500SL, 2001 Gunnar Crosshairs , 2009 Gunnar Roadie.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Loved your write up of the ride on your new bike. Congrats on that. However, I just couldn't see doing that in that cold of a day. I don't seem to find a day too hot to ride, but cold is another story for me. So I admire your bike and your gumption to ride it in the freezing weather.
Old 02-11-12, 04:51 PM

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I live in Vermont and have plenty of cold weather if I want it. I ride indoors till March. Good on you for putting up with it.
Old 02-12-12, 04:11 AM
NewKidInTown

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I see from your picture that you photographed the bike while your hot baguette cooled down.

Such dedication. I am unworthy to share the same forum as you.
Old 02-12-12, 05:10 AM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
To get ready for my retirement- I have a lot of work to do. NOT Work--work but garden has to be cleared so that come April 1st- I can start setting the seed and planting the Veg that has to germinate now to give me a full summer of growing and eating. Lots to do--How I will ever get this done If I have to work-I'll never know.
This is an easy one. Retirement is for you to enjoy what time you have left to do the things you want to do. Although some things have to get done, many of them don't seem as important when you are retired as they may have been before. Since retiring, I get all the things done, that absolutely have to be done, in the mornings and spend the afternoons as my time and that means riding. If something doesn't get done today, it can wait until tomorrow. If it doesn't get done then, it will get done eventually. Don't worry about the small stuff and enjoy your soon to be retirement days and that new bike.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 02-12-12, 05:37 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Although I cannot imagine riding a brand, spanking new bike such as this in subzero temperatures, I understand why you did! That is one gorgeous machine!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 02-12-12, 02:24 PM
Saved by Grace

Bikes: Only one at a time; currently a 2012 Specialized Tricross Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
Living in Florida, I'm not one to get out in temperatures less than 50º F, so better your than me.
I wimped out yesterday as well. It was bright and sunny, but 37F and a 12-15 MPH breeze. I was out in the yard in blue jeans and a heavy shirt and still couldn't stay warm. I would have been wearing considerably less on my bike (I currently have no cold-weather kit beyond arm/leg warmers and a super-thin windbreaker), so I ended up just taking care of other things instead. Today is slightly warmer (slightly), but I have no time to ride. Next Saturday, it's supposed to rain. Maybe they'll be wrong, since they were this weekend.
Old 02-12-12, 02:56 PM
Time for a change.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
This cold spell we have had for the past week is exceptional. BUT I suppose it is winter and some bad weather is to be expected. So far this winter has not been too bad but call it what you like but "Climate Change" is hitting hard in the South East of the UK. So far it has been a dry winter and the resoirvoirs are only about 50 % full. Going to be some hose pipe bans this summer. Temperature has not been too bad and has been higher than average for about 5 years. The one thing we have been getting a lot of though is wind and winds in excess of 25 mph are not unusual and spells of 50 to 60 mph are commonplace.

Being a "Working Man"- I have to rely on weekends being fine for riding. They haven't been ideal since October so every ride has been a compromise of some kind. Just hope that the coming year will improve so I can get back to better fitness.

Checked over the bike today. Adjusted the bars and rewound the tape at the same time. White tape gets dirty very quickly. One good thing about riding in the cold is that the Dirt stays frozen onto the road. The bike is relatively clean for what I thought was going to be a dirty ride with all the salt and grit about. No bolts loosening off and no chafing of the cables on the frame. All I have to pray for now is a Warm week (That is forecast) with rain to clean up the roads and a Nice sunny Friday to warm up the roads for next weekend. Then I might be able to try the bike in anger to see how good it is.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-12-12, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
stapfam: Your new bike looks wonderful! While I prefer black bikes I must admit white is my second choice.

This winter has been mild for sure with very little snow. The coldest it's been when i head out the door for work was 2F but some days the wind just howls.

Enjoy your up coming retirement and ride the day lights out of that pretty new bike!

fasthair

Last edited by fasthair; 02-12-12 at 06:54 PM.
Old 02-12-12, 05:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was 57 outside when I went tonight and thats cold for me.. I do live in South FL though.

-10c ouch
Old 02-12-12, 07:49 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Excellent report Doug! That Pinnie sure is a sweet ride.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13