Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Hip pain

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-17, 06:10 PM
I am the Snail~!

Bikes: 2010 TerraTrike Rover 8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
zombie thread, huh?

Well, as a guy with endemic hip pain but still too young to have replacement surgery, I'll just say thank god for tylenol. With it, (and only in small doses), I can cycle 5000-8000 miles/year. Without it, I'd be down to maybe 1000.

The downside is that to keep my tylenol and cycling habit without trashing my liver, I've more or less given up alcohol. Many of my non-riding friends think I'm no fun any more.
While I am not a Doctor of any sort, I believe if you do not have other contrary health issues (like I do) it would be well worth seeing a good Ortho and getting on a Daily NSIAD. They are so much better than they used to be (so says the guy that lived on them for over 30+yrs with no liver issues), but yes, you do still want/need regular blood work to be safe. But the results can be amazing~~
Old 07-10-17, 07:47 PM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4389 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by Peter_C
While I am not a Doctor of any sort, I believe if you do not have other contrary health issues (like I do) it would be well worth seeing a good Ortho and getting on a Daily NSIAD. They are so much better than they used to be (so says the guy that lived on them for over 30+yrs with no liver issues), but yes, you do still want/need regular blood work to be safe. But the results can be amazing~~
Thanks, but.... I've been to plenty of doctors and PTs, including the region's best hip surgeon (he has a signed thank you note in his office from Greg Lemond!). I tell them and my GP about my tylenol intake - they seem less worried about it than me. And I've tried all the OTC NSAIDs and tylenol is the only one that works.
Old 07-16-17, 07:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Since I first posted in 2012 there have been two major changes. I got my hip replaced in 2016. Now a year and a half post surgery the hip is 95% good. One leg came out 1/4" shorter than the other, which has caused bursitis but I can live with it. Unfortunately, I now have severe osteoarthritis in both shoulders. I've probably severed the rotator cuff on one shoulder (I mean, a bone spur severed it). I'm working on getting the shoulder replaced in the fall. In the meantime I've had to stop biking entirely---a big disappointment after waiting 5 years for the hip surgery.

Surgery and full recovery takes about a year per joint. That's potentially several lost years after age 60---when time becomes most precious. My biggest regret is all the effort I put into strength training in my 40s and early 50s. I thought I was doing the right thing. I'm convinced now that it contributed to the demise of my joints---along with backpacking, running, racquetball, and kayaking. Biking was perhaps the most benign activity I did, and oddly, my knees are still in good shape at age 65, no problems at all.

Moral of the story: treat your joints kindly or you will be facing a lot of pain and aggravation after age 60.

Someone said above that there are better NSAIDs these days. Like what? I take 9 ibuprofen per day without much benefit and I don't know of any safer but effective drug. I'm very concerned about taking ibuprofen for the last 10 years (hip, shoulders).
Old 07-16-17, 10:02 PM
I am the Snail~!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GetUpnGo

Someone said above that there are better NSAIDs these days. Like what? I take 9 ibuprofen per day without much benefit and I don't know of any safer but effective drug. I'm very concerned about taking ibuprofen for the last 10 years (hip, shoulders).
As I am neither a Doc etc - I do not wish to presume to suggest to a person what to take.But my comments are thus: The best OTC NSAIDs are based on what was used 20-30yrs ago. And at roughly 20 to 40% of the proscribed strength. There are NSAIDs today like (just naming one) Voltaren that is so wonderful for about 70-80% of the people that take it, and it is a one-pill-one-time-per-day-script. In my case I'd rotate off it every six to eight months and take Mobic for 90-120 days, then rotate back again. And life was great. And so were my blood numbers too. - Of course, speak with your Doc, make sure to list ALL your meds and OTC stuff as well (it counts too).

I believe in quality of life, and it just needs help sometimes...
Old 07-17-17, 06:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Peter_C
As I am neither a Doc etc - I do not wish to presume to suggest to a person what to take.But my comments are thus: The best OTC NSAIDs are based on what was used 20-30yrs ago. And at roughly 20 to 40% of the proscribed strength. There are NSAIDs today like (just naming one) Voltaren that is so wonderful for about 70-80% of the people that take it, and it is a one-pill-one-time-per-day-script. In my case I'd rotate off it every six to eight months and take Mobic for 90-120 days, then rotate back again. And life was great. And so were my blood numbers too. - Of course, speak with your Doc, make sure to list ALL your meds and OTC stuff as well (it counts too).

I believe in quality of life, and it just needs help sometimes...
From Wikipedia:

"Diclofenac [Voltaren] consumption has been associated with significantly increased vascular and coronary risk. . . . Upper gastrointestinal complications were also reported.[13] Major vascular events were increased by about a third by diclofenac, chiefly due to an increase in major coronary events.[13] . . . Vascular death was increased significantly by diclofenac.[13]"
Old 07-17-17, 10:40 AM
I am the Snail~!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
From Wikipedia:

"Diclofenac [Voltaren] consumption has been associated with significantly increased vascular and coronary risk. . . . Upper gastrointestinal complications were also reported.[13] Major vascular events were increased by about a third by diclofenac, chiefly due to an increase in major coronary events.[13] . . . Vascular death was increased significantly by diclofenac.[13]"
This is why I suggest seeing your Doctor. As (in theory) this person didn't just read a WIKI page to decide if something is worth "quality of life" or not, but has spent their life focusing on it. I also named "ONE" med that *I* took. Am not suggesting that one for you personally as I do not know you or your history or med list.

All meds have PROs and CONs. When it comes down to it, each of us can choose to live in pain and stop doing what we love, or do something about it do improve our quality of life while we are still around so we can enjoy the time we have left. I made my choice. Both by chemicals, and by surgeries and procedures, and in hindsight (always 20/20), I am pleased with my choices for me.
Old 07-23-17, 11:58 AM

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Since I first posted in 2012 there have been two major changes. I got my hip replaced in 2016. Now a year and a half post surgery the hip is 95% good. One leg came out 1/4" shorter than the other, which has caused bursitis but I can live with it. Unfortunately, I now have severe osteoarthritis in both shoulders. I've probably severed the rotator cuff on one shoulder (I mean, a bone spur severed it). I'm working on getting the shoulder replaced in the fall. In the meantime I've had to stop biking entirely---a big disappointment after waiting 5 years for the hip surgery.

Surgery and full recovery takes about a year per joint. That's potentially several lost years after age 60---when time becomes most precious. My biggest regret is all the effort I put into strength training in my 40s and early 50s. I thought I was doing the right thing. I'm convinced now that it contributed to the demise of my joints---along with backpacking, running, racquetball, and kayaking. Biking was perhaps the most benign activity I did, and oddly, my knees are still in good shape at age 65, no problems at all.

Moral of the story: treat your joints kindly or you will be facing a lot of pain and aggravation after age 60.

I can't promise it will work for you but maybe worth a try - I have been able to stop taking NSAIDs almost entirely (maybe once a month instead of daily)....Inflameaway Celadrin available through Costco. Literally has saved my internal organs from the damage of NSAIDs. Best of luck....
Old 07-23-17, 08:10 PM
Señor Member

Bikes: yes

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Brew1
I don't know, to me it sounds like you should get bent!
I'm 65 and have been riding bent for 16 years now with absolutely no problems with my wrists, hips, or knees.
Personally I don't know how some people can bear to ride a wedgie. I've had to ride a DF this week while my long wheel based recumbent is in the shop getting tuned up and the pain in my wrists and butt are something I never experience on a bent.
So why not simply get a bike that suits your body rather than taking more meds for the problems the bike you ride are causing?