Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Hey Strava users

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Hey Strava users

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-12, 06:33 PM

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Ok I'm in from the Inland Empire, west coast. I will download the program into the IPhone but till I do I put today's ride in manually.
Old 03-06-12, 07:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
You have no friends here so you should be fine.

Just kidding.
Really?
Old 03-06-12, 08:29 AM
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Strava isn't the best ride analysis tool, but it's a great way to stay in touch with what your friends are up to, and to say OMG! when you see some of the times the fast folks can rip off.
Old 03-06-12, 10:23 AM
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AzTallRider
Strava isn't the best ride analysis tool, but it's a great way to stay in touch with what your friends are up to, and to say OMG! when you see some of the times the fast folks can rip off.
Whats the best in your opinion ?
Old 03-06-12, 10:50 AM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
Really?
Honest Native American.

A joke. It was just a joke.

BTW, I hear Golden Cheetah is the best data dredging software.

Old 03-06-12, 10:58 AM
I need speed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Phil85207
Whats the best in your opinion ?
Online, it's clearly TrainingPeaks.com, which is what I use the most, since it is also how my coach assigns workouts and looks at my data. WKO+, the desktop software by the same people (PC only) has additional analysis capabilities, such as "quadrant analysis", which lets you plot such things as cadence against power, and the infamous 'e-wang' chart, that shows how your power stacks up against typical ranges for various categories of racers. Both of those track your peak power for a variety of durations, from 1 second to 3 hours, and they both provide a Performance Management Chart, which tracks your overall training load, helping you to arrive at a key event both well trained and fresh.

Then there is Golden Cheetah, which is free, and provides most of the same features, plus an auto-calculation of your functional threshold power (FTP). It's very popular.

My 'workflow' is to:

1. plug in my Garmin 500, which also recharges it,
2. use their application to upload the data to TrainingPeaks.com,
3. take a quick look at the data and make any post-ride notes using the website,
4. go to Strava.com and upload the data using their website function,
5. open WKO+ and download the data (which now includes my comments) from TrainingPeaks.com into WKO+,
6. move (not copy) the data files from the Garmin to my desktop, keeping the Garmin clean, and maintaining a backup of the data, and
7. open Golden Cheetah, and import the data from the desktop.

I typically do 1-4 daily, and the rest Sunday evening, in preparation for the new week.

I used to also upload to GarminConnect, but the only thing I used it for was their superior reporting of monthly and annual totals. But they mucked with their upload routine, and it now not only requires the current version of Windows Media Player (Huh?) which I can't stand even having installed, but is now just generally mucked up.

I occasionally upload a file to ridewithgps.com, which is also my preferred site for creating routes. You can create them, download them to your Garmin, and have directions as you ride in a new place. ridewithgps is just now getting into the whole 'segments' thing, and will be competing with Strava on the social networking for cyclists front.

I expect Strava, and maybe ridewithgps and TrainingPeaks, to become integrated with Facebook before long, as Facebook releases their "seemless" integration architecture. Whatever you do on Strava would appear in Facebook, without having to click anything additional.

As 7 of 9 says: "Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated."
Old 03-06-12, 06:49 PM
Its only pain

Bikes: '18 Salsa Marrakesh, '14 Salsa Colossal, '89 GT Timberline

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have only used Strava a few times and today for the second time Strava caused my phone to reboot mid-ride. So my ride was incomplete when it uploaded from the app, I deleted it and replaced it with the Garmin upload.
Old 03-06-12, 08:58 PM
Steel is real, baby!

Bikes: 1984 Pinarello, 1986 Bianchi Portofino, 1988 Bianchi Trofeo, 1989 Specialized Allez, 1989 Specialized Hard Rock, 2001 Litespeed Tuscany

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I joined the club today. Another Arizona representative.

~Frank
Old 03-06-12, 10:54 PM

Bikes: 2020 Giant Cypress DX

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts
I joined!
A Los Angeles County rep!!!
Old 03-07-12, 07:54 AM

I lost interest when I saw the line "compete against friends." I'm done competing. I'm more interested in cooperation these days.
Apology part II:

I went over to the roadie forum and checked out their Strava thread.

Just wow.

They're arguing about being displaced from a KOM segment by someone accused of either motopacing or doing the ride in a car.

That's pretty weird.

I don't see that kind of thing happening here. Heck, I give kudos to folks who get out of bed and breathe deeply on the morning.

But I see your point now. It can be weird if your testosterone levels are ramped up a little too high.

As I said, the only segments where I'm KOM is where I'm the only one who is riding them. As Strava becomes more popular, it's only a matter of time until all my land speed records are toppled.

Old 03-07-12, 08:30 AM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10961 Post(s)
Liked 4,616 Times in 2,120 Posts
I'm recovering from knee surgery and can't ride so my last two Strava entries have been ~ 3 mile walks. My first walk on Sunday was logged as cycling so I'm sure my 3.8 MPH average looks great.

Old 03-07-12, 08:58 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
My first Strava entry is awaiting snowmelture

The local entries are showing hillclimbs only. I cant wait to chart my 20mi TT course this spring so I can see who really rides the fogline around here.
Old 03-07-12, 10:37 AM
I need speed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
But I see your point now. It can be weird if your testosterone levels are ramped up a little too high.

As I said, the only segments where I'm KOM is where I'm the only one who is riding them. As Strava becomes more popular, it's only a matter of time until all my land speed records are toppled.
I don't worry about how I stack up against others except in races, but there are certain 'yardstick' segments where I like to compete with myself for PRs. The key one is our "9-Mile Hill". I ripped off a great ride awhile back, taking that climb in 30 minutes, averaging 297 watts. I haven't come close since! Of course its racing season now, and I'm not doing the group rides that take that route. I'm looking forward to my next time up the climb - I want to break 300w and 30 minutes.
Old 03-07-12, 10:48 AM

Bikes: Waterford, Orbea, Giant

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't worry about how I stack up against others except in races, but there are certain 'yardstick' segments where I like to compete with myself for PRs. The key one is our "9-Mile Hill". I ripped off a great ride awhile back, taking that climb in 30 minutes, averaging 297 watts. I haven't come close since! Of course its racing season now, and I'm not doing the group rides that take that route. I'm looking forward to my next time up the climb - I want to break 300w and 30 minutes.
300 watts for 30 minutes? Impressive! What's your weight??
Old 03-07-12, 11:24 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You can enter rides manually, but if you post great numbers no one will believe you
I joined Strava last night. I think I joined the Louisville group, but was never prompted for a password
Old 03-07-12, 01:30 PM
Steel is real, baby!

Bikes: 1984 Pinarello, 1986 Bianchi Portofino, 1988 Bianchi Trofeo, 1989 Specialized Allez, 1989 Specialized Hard Rock, 2001 Litespeed Tuscany

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by az_cyclist
I joined Strava last night. I think I joined the Louisville group, but was never prompted for a password
I wasn't prompted for a password, either.
Old 03-09-12, 04:50 AM

Bikes: Trek Navigator, LeMond Buenos Aires, Madone 5.9, S-Works Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I joined Strava and the group because on days like today, when I have to work and can't ride I enjoy reading about other folks riding. I'm clearly not interested in competing with others as I struggle to get my oversized butt up the pathetic little hills we have in Florida and I'm amazed at the climbing some of you do. I'm trying to lose 50lbs over the next few months which should make climbing less of a burden and hopefully lessen the effort it takes to push through these March winds.

Thanks to cycling and the inspiration and helpful tips I get on this forum I'm in better shape approaching my 70th birthday than I was at 60
Old 03-09-12, 05:39 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by frpax
I wasn't prompted for a password, either.
Same here.
Old 03-09-12, 06:28 AM

I'm not going to sweat it unless we start getting overrun by whippersnappers.

Old 03-09-12, 08:56 PM

Bikes: Giant TRC 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm with you as far as using Strava to compete against myself as I enjoy competing. My work schedule dictates my riding time, so 90% of the time I'm on the road solo. Most of the time trying to beat my PR's for certain segment of my rides. I raced for years and plan to get back racing here soon now that my kids have just about left the nest!!
Old 03-09-12, 09:09 PM

Bikes: 2020 Giant Cypress DX

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts
I lost interest when I saw the line "compete against friends." I'm done competing. I'm more interested in cooperation these days.
One look at my rides and you'll see there's no competition in me. I'm there just to compare my rides and keep my blood/sugar numbers down. I looked at yesterdays ride and that got me to go out and try harder today. I didn't ride harder but I did get out!!!

Last edited by Durockrolly; 03-10-12 at 05:32 PM.
Old 03-10-12, 06:21 AM

Bikes: 2009 BMC SLT01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in!

BTW, I'm a Strava Ambassador. If you would like a to try a one month free trial premium membership, email me at db53x11@gmail.com
Old 03-10-12, 08:26 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Strava question: is the program decidedly focused on hillclimbs? Of course, this may be overly obvious with the "KOM" designation.
Old 03-10-12, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
Strava question: is the program decidedly focused on hillclimbs? Of course, this may be overly obvious with the "KOM" designation.
No, a segment can be anything you want. I saw a segment where people try to blast down a hill with a hair-pin turn in the middle. One got up to about 50 MPH. The things kids do these days.

Old 03-10-12, 10:06 AM

No, a segment can be anything you want. I saw a segment where people try to blast down a hill with a hair-pin turn in the middle. One got up to about 50 MPH. The things kids do these days.
I'd watch that segment for entertainment sake

Thanx, I was just wondering. I'm going to be entering my 20mi TT in the next few weeks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.