Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

My body is still ok but my eyes are going. :-(

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

My body is still ok but my eyes are going. :-(

Old 12-13-12, 05:03 PM
avmech

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tsl View Post
You know, here we are over 30 hours past the initial post, and no one has brought up, "Didn't your mother ever tell you to stop that or you'll go blind?"

Darned boring grown-ups.
My dad did, after which I said "dad, I'm over here"..............
Old 12-13-12, 05:11 PM
apollored

Bikes: Apollo Revival Mountain Bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey View Post
Nice glasses.

@tsl,
I went even cheaper on the sunglasses. I use clip-ons, not flip-ups, over my prescription glasses.
Even better when you dont have to pay for prescriptions.
Old 12-13-12, 06:08 PM
WingSuit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl View Post
Must be nice to have such good eyesight that you don't need a prescription.

My last lenses were $735. Just the lenses. Went with something cheaper in my sunglasses. Those were $525.
Holy cow, lasik surgery is cheaper than that. By the time I was 40, my distant vision had deteriorated to 20/400. I had Lasik surgery, and to this day I am 20/15 (18 years later). If you get new specs every year or two or three, lasik would be cost effective, if you are medically eligible for it. I need drugstore readers for the small stuff, but i can see my Garmin and read at arms length.

Last edited by WingSuit; 12-13-12 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12-13-12, 06:15 PM
WingSuit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want to see some cool sports specs, check out WileyX.com. They are the glass/ sunglass of choice for Army Rangers/SF guys, and are very popluar among law enforcement. They make one model billed as motorcycle glasses that are photochromatic. Plus the lenses are bulletproof should you get shot in the eye.
Old 12-13-12, 07:08 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Zombie Thread
Old 12-13-12, 08:23 PM
Cougrrcj 
Over forty victim of Fate

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've worn glasses since age 6. I was eventually rejected from the USAF academy (for eyesight) in '76 when I was 20/400. It got as bad as 20/550... I couldn't see the 2" digital alarm clock numbers two feet from my head... Then at age 41 I had Lasik corrective surgery. OK, so I have perfect distance vision. But now 10 years later I find I need reading glasses. In fact, I have several pairs in various strengths depending on the task at hand. I consider that to be a fair trade-off... When riding, I have also found that 'sun readers' (sun glasses with a bifocal reading area) work for me 99% of the time...
Old 12-13-12, 09:11 PM
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There must be some number of current posts that bring a zombie back to life.
Old 12-13-12, 09:14 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
There must be some number of current posts that bring a zombie back to life.
I guess it varies. If RonH bought some glasses almost a year ago, and asked about them then, I would hope he would have his question answered by NOW!! It is sort of strange to be answering his question a year later.

OTOH, there are some subjects that are always sort of current.

But . . .
Old 12-14-12, 01:27 AM
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Quoted: 6830 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 175 Posts
I'm coping with Glaucoma , there the internal pressure kills light receptor cells.. catching that early is Key.
Old 12-14-12, 07:00 AM
Scootman

Bikes: 2007 Trek 2.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Didn't this thread start out talking about the Dual Eyeware glasses? I bought them this year, smoke and yellow lenses, and they are great. Could only read the larger numbers on my Garmin but now I can see and use more than one screen. And they look good too. Very difficult to tell they are bifocals.
Old 12-14-12, 07:15 AM
mapeiboy

Bikes: Colnago EP with Campy chorus

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WingSuit View Post
Holy cow, lasik surgery is cheaper than that. By the time I was 40, my distant vision had deteriorated to 20/400. I had Lasik surgery, and to this day I am 20/15 (18 years later). If you get new specs every year or two or three, lasik would be cost effective, if you are medically eligible for it. I need drugstore readers for the small stuff, but i can see my Garmin and read at arms length.
I done the same thing about 10 years ago . My eye sight is still great till this day .
Old 12-14-12, 07:39 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Scootman View Post
Didn't this thread start out talking about the Dual Eyeware glasses? I bought them this year, smoke and yellow lenses, and they are great. Could only read the larger numbers on my Garmin but now I can see and use more than one screen. And they look good too. Very difficult to tell they are bifocals.
It started and ended in February with a specific question which was resolved with the following February post by the OP:

I see the eye doctor every August. I wear $600 progressive lens glasses and $350 "reading" glasses.
I just didn't want to spend a lot on riding glasses. They work just for me.
However, old threads are occasionally revived. I guess this is one of them.
Old 12-14-12, 09:22 AM
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH View Post
My eyesight has been getting worse every year. For the past few months it has been harder to make out the numbers on the computer or read information posted on the trail, so I ordered some of these today. I hope they help.

Anyone else use them?
I don't have a lot to add, except the quality of the lenses make a difference. From my own experience:

20 years ago I was wearing contact lenses and having increasingly difficult times reading papers and computer screens. I started wearing reading glasses. It turned out it was the contact lenses that were going bad...

So, I gave up on them and went back to regular glasses.

About 5 years ago I started noticing that I was having trouble seeing pretty much everything: with one pair things were brighter and with another pair things were sharper. It turns out the one pair had a slightly wrong prescription and the other pair had cheap lenses.

I did some research and ordered another pair online. It turns out that there are major differences in the quality of lenses that you simply won't hear about at the local optician. They simply tell you: "here's your choice" (and really there isn't any choice -- you take what they sell).

Currently, with good lenses, my vision remains pretty solid both near and far... (knock on wood!)
Old 12-14-12, 09:29 AM
gif4445

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2, Specialized Roubaix Elite

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm with the Lasik. Spend $$ on that if it's an option. I didn't have the monovision lasik done, so I need readers. Since I am hell on glasses, I get the $2-$3 readers at Walmart. If your looking for a lower cost bifocal sunglass (reader) for $12, check these out. http://www.gemplers.com/product/WEB1...asses?pfx=OAWP
Old 12-14-12, 10:39 AM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I worked with my ophthalmologist to find "everyday" glasses that would work while riding. We experimented with lens shape and size, the place where my progressive lenses made their shifts (interesting to me that they are different for each eye), and the degree and type of "transition" lens used. I ended up with glasses that have no rims, Hi-Index Plastic lenses, and titanium arm/ear piece. While they were a bit more expensive than my previous glasses (I beleive they were a bit over $450), they have worked really well. I put them on in the morning and forget about them the entire day. I found it helped that my ophthalmologist was herself a cyclist. We did not know this about each other until I had a bike accident that resulted in a tear in my retina. Once a fellow cyclist knows you are one too, it seems to make a difference. I got lucky.
Old 12-14-12, 10:52 AM
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
I worked with my ophthalmologist to find "everyday" glasses that would work while riding. We experimented with lens shape and size, the place where my progressive lenses made their shifts (interesting to me that they are different for each eye), and the degree and type of "transition" lens used. I ended up with glasses that have no rims, Hi-Index Plastic lenses, and titanium arm/ear piece. While they were a bit more expensive than my previous glasses (I beleive they were a bit over $450), they have worked really well. I put them on in the morning and forget about them the entire day. I found it helped that my ophthalmologist was herself a cyclist. We did not know this about each other until I had a bike accident that resulted in a tear in my retina. Once a fellow cyclist knows you are one too, it seems to make a difference. I got lucky.
As some say: "I'd rather be lucky than good!"

But it sounds like you were fortunate as well that you had somebody working with you through the ENTIRE process of vision correction: from exam to lenses to frames...

I think far too often these days those processes are separated -- and too many discount glass places are popping up. So you end up with what they sell rather than what is best for you...
Old 12-14-12, 11:29 AM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I started complaining about computer distances (~24") and how drugstore reading glasses didn't seem to help, my eye doctor asked me to email him my exact screen distance and he would have special correction glasses made. Apparently distance correction corrects for infinity. If you need "24 inches" it is a completely different prescription (I'm imagining dividing my distance correction by some value to account for 24 inches instead of infinity.

WOW did it ever work great.

I'm thinking queue sheets and handlebar gps, etc might be less than 24 inches and maybe bifocal magnification would be OK.
Old 12-14-12, 11:40 AM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My eyesight has been getting worse every year. For the past few months it has been harder to make out the numbers on the computer or read information posted on the trail, so I ordered some of these today. I hope they help.

Anyone else use them?
Have you seen an eye doctor about your declining vision??

Sometimes self medication is ok but never when it comes to your eyes!!

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 12-14-12, 04:06 PM
jmccain

Bikes: Kvale, Peugeot, Cervelo, Bridgestone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
Have you seen an eye doctor about your declining vision??

Sometimes self medication is ok but never when it comes to your eyes!!
See post #25 in this thread.
Old 12-14-12, 04:40 PM
oldster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anyone else use them?
get cataract surgery done and your vision will be perfect, wife had it done and hers, is much better than mine
Bud
Old 12-17-12, 08:40 AM
bent4me

Bikes: Recumbents

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If it's bifocals you need I recommend safety glasses. Very economical and UV protection