Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Biking Denver to Aspen in July

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 02-28-12, 09:32 AM
Marcus

Bikes: TREK 2100D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm looking forward to a cycling trip from Denver to Aspen in July (7/12 - 7/15).

I've gotten two options, one through Independence Pass https://www.mapmyride.com/s/routes/vi...enver/12745484 and the other through Kenosha Pass https://www.rmccrides.com/denver_aspen.pdf

I'm concerned about finding accommodations along the way, with the idea of stopping around mile 70 on each day and arriving in Aspen on day 3.

Also hoping to find places to eat and purchase Gatorade along the way, if possible.

I've heard that Kenosha pass is gentler on the cyclist, but has fewer accommodations, so I'm tempted to do the Independence Pass route.

If anyone has recommendations for motels along the way, I'm very much obliged.
Thanks,
Marcus
Old 02-28-12, 10:19 AM

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
Humm seems there'd be more on the Kenosha Pass route as there are towns from Denver up to Fairplay. Independence Pass is a beautiful ride but it's got very little in the way of services that I can remember. If you stop in Fairplay, I'd recommend the Old Fairplay Hotel, it's kinda cool and has a decent dining room. Bailey, Pine, Como, etc. are really small and may not have motels. Breckenridge, Leadville, etc. are all large enough to have lot's of lodging.

The Independence Pass route would be the more scenic of the two, Kenosha Pass is a much easier pass than Independence. Not much help, sorry but I hope it's some.

Old 02-28-12, 11:03 AM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
No opinion. Is this a rando ride?

Old 02-28-12, 11:52 AM
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Personally I prefer the first option you call Independence Pass. The Kenosha Pass route is OK, but highway 285 has limited shoulder in many places and high speed traffic, it's the more stressful of the two routes IMHO. Indie Pass route also would provide more services (lodging, food stops). More climbing on the Indie route, with Loveland and Fremont passes before you get to Indie Pass, it's a tough ride. One more day of riding might make it more enjoyable, but that's just me. Have fun, it's a beautiful trip, and save some energy to ride from Aspen up the road to the Maroon Bells view point at Maroon Lake.
Old 02-28-12, 01:08 PM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with Shifty that 285 would not be a fun road to ride. I'd go the Indy Pass route. But I would follow the TBP route and go over Squaw/Juniper to Idaho Springs then to Georgetown on the bike path. I70 is a bit of a pain but the shoulder is wide. Take 6 over Loveland and follow the route you have to Aspen over Indy Pass. So go through Morrison to get to Squaw is how I would probably go. There would be lots of places to stay on the route, Idaho Springs, Georgetown, Silverthorne, Frisco, Leadville.
Old 02-28-12, 02:41 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I wouild suggest you also post this on the Mountain/plains sub-forum at:

https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdispl...c&daysprune=-1
Old 02-28-12, 02:42 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've done lots of dirt bike rides in that area the first week of August. All I can say is be ready for rain some time between 1 and 4 pm. And a cold, cold, cold rain at that and sleet and snow at elevation. Nice thing is, if you do get wet you will dry off in a matter of minutes. This was always my first tip to newcomers to the ride. Fortunately most of them heeded that bit of info. But the good thing about being on a motorcycle was that you could get to shelter fast. On a bicycle....not so much.
Even though I live in the southern USA with lots of lightening, the lightening there is very scary. Seems to follow the sheets of rain. So just be careful in the rain there. Very cold and possibly very dangerous too.

Last edited by bigbadwullf; 02-28-12 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-28-12, 12:54 PM

Bikes: Felt Z85

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Folks, hi, I'd just like to wake this thread up again if I may.

I'm from the UK and don't know the area too well, but have spent a little time a few years back driving around CO.

I'm heading to Snowmass from Denver for the Labor day concerts and want to cycle. I've driven the route a few times, (from Aspen) over Independence, Leadville, I70, detour via Loveland, Idaho Springs, Denver.

I do note your advice about the 285 above, but just how bad does it get? I'd feel a bit wary about the I70 having driven it.

The route I'm looking at is to head out of Denver from the Littleton/Deer Creek area and then follow the 285 through Bailey, Fairplay, Buena Vista, Twin Lakes - 3 days:
1) Littleton-Fairplay
2) Fairplay-Twin Lakes
3) Twin-Lakes to Independence pass then enjoy the roll down to Aspen.

Would love to hear any advice, opinions you can offer.

Many thanks, John