Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   March is the cruelest month (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/802462-march-cruelest-month.html)

Barrettscv 03-04-12 09:42 AM

March is the cruelest month

I always feel like I’m starting over to rebuild my fitness during March, even after staying active during the winter.

Maybe it’s just cabin fever. Or maybe it’s because I’m lifting weights again for the first time in five years.

…or it could be the heavy snowfall that will keep me from riding for several days...

BikeWNC 03-04-12 09:46 AM

Spring is here and has been most of the winter. We have a couple cool days in the 40s then mid to upper 60s are forecast through the next two weeks. Add to that the change to DST and it makes for nice afternoon riding.

Altamont 03-04-12 10:10 AM

it gets to me when we have a few warm days in Feb, I dream of an early spring, then it gets cold and wet again. like today. and yesterday.

Dudelsack 03-04-12 10:26 AM

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x...A/50ca22ee.jpg

Payable to my PayPal account. Dig deep, darlings.

JohnDThompson 03-04-12 10:35 AM

I got my upper body work-out yesterday shoveling 5" of heavy, wet snow!

rdtompki 03-04-12 11:00 AM

HTFU or move to California

bruce19 03-04-12 11:18 AM

My "solution" has been to watch what I eat and do an hour a day on the spin bike at my gym. I also lift weights 2-3 times a week. I average about 4-5 days a week at the gym. When the weather becomes cycling weather here in eastern CT I'll find out if it actually is some sort of solution.

VNA 03-04-12 11:56 AM

March is a great month particularly seeing and hearing hummingbirds courtship!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO3sXEky4WE

It is also spring with warmer weather and beautiful rides--not so good for hay fever unfortunately!

Artkansas 03-04-12 12:03 PM

When I saw the title, I thought it would be about how all the early season tornados are ravaging the country. That has been dreadful.

Digital Gee 03-04-12 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Artkansas (Post 13929830)
When I saw the title, I thought it would be about how all the early season tornados are ravaging the country. That has been dreadful.

That's sure true. I'm hopeful all our 50+ cycling buddies (and everyone else) in those areas are okay. It's terrible!

gtragitt 03-04-12 12:21 PM

If you can ride in March it is not a cruel month. Cruelty is not being able to ride.

stapfam 03-04-12 12:24 PM

First day of spring and today is the 4Th. Our winter drought broke today and the wind came from the North.

One thing to be thankful for is that we do not get the Extremes of weather that certain parts of the US are having.

Artkansas 03-05-12 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by stapfam (Post 13929900)
One thing to be thankful for is that we do not get the Extremes of weather that certain parts of the US are having.

You can thank us for that. The Gulf Stream picks up heat from Florida to North Carolina and carries it to you. :thumb:

stapfam 03-05-12 02:10 PM

That Gulf stream has changed it 's route a bit in the last 10 years or so and now runs more North than it used to. We drag in the cold air from Siberia In the winter now. And wind strength seems to have increased a lot at all times of the year.

bigbadwullf 03-05-12 02:18 PM

Move South(USA). Once spring hits, it's here to stay :). One thing I love about moving here some 18 years ago. Spring means spring, not the "end of winter". I'm all too knowledgeable about snows in March. Can be huge, wet crap.
And now that I have a mountain bike, I can pick which bike I want to ride, depending on cool air or.................WIND!

OldsCOOL 03-05-12 05:20 PM

Northern Michigan checking in here. We just got dumped on with 2 feet of snow Saturday and today as the sun came up it was a -15deg snow palace. March is our mixed bag month like many others here experience but this one came in like an uninvited brat.

But then, we dont get twisters or hurricanes. It's all melting this week, starting tomorrow. When it hits 50, I'm out there.

bigbadwullf 03-06-12 09:04 AM

Here's my take on the "tornado thing". Keep in mind I live in "tornado country". It's become a 'media thing'. Many people want to see the destruction so they show it. As for the number of them "increasing", my take is the number REPORTED is increasing. With our ability to communicate and keep data now, the number will increase but it is because that is the number that is being recorded. In the old days no one knew where tornadoes hit because the population was smaller(they weren't seen) and the number reported was far less. That doesn't mean there are necessarily more tornadoes now. As with anything nowadays, it's the record keeping that is increasing. You have to keep this in mind AND the fact the media wants you to watch, so they will tell you anything you want(they want) you to hear ;)

Shifty 03-06-12 09:24 AM

Move to the old south?.......yeah, no way!

I'm in Moab, UT this week and next, mountain bike this week, then the Skinny Tire Festival starts on Saturday with 4 days of beautiful rides in the canyonlands of the Colorado River. I always look forward to March.

Digital Gee 03-06-12 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by bigbadwullf (Post 13937930)
Here's my take on the "tornado thing". Keep in mind I live in "tornado country". It's become a 'media thing'. Many people want to see the destruction so they show it. As for the number of them "increasing", my take is the number REPORTED is increasing. With our ability to communicate and keep data now, the number will increase but it is because that is the number that is being recorded. In the old days no one knew where tornadoes hit because the population was smaller(they weren't seen) and the number reported was far less. That doesn't mean there are necessarily more tornadoes now. As with anything nowadays, it's the record keeping that is increasing. You have to keep this in mind AND the fact the media wants you to watch, so they will tell you anything you want(they want) you to hear ;)

And, according to Pat Robertson, these tornadoes happened because people didn't pray enough.

lhbernhardt 03-06-12 12:46 PM

Here in southwestern British Columbia, March does "roar in like a lion and go out like a lamb" most years. We got a bit of really wet and slippery snow on leap day, but since then the temps have been getting gradually warmer, although the lows are a bit lower this week. In March at the 49th parallel, we gain about 2 minutes of daylight at each end of the day (4 or 5 minutes more daylight each day) before we get the really dramatic increases in daylight in April. It's amusing that some people want to head south, but the closer you get to the equator, the closer sunrise and sunset get to 6 am/6 pm. The further north you go, the more daylight you get in the summer. Here in Vancouver, I'm out riding in broad daylight at around 9 pm in June. Of course, we pay for this in the winter when I'm riding to work in darkness at both ends of the day!

Luis

oldster 03-06-12 01:22 PM

well the high today is supposed to be70f,and its 68.9f as I type,only hitch is, it's gonna snow for the next 5 days...getting ready to ride in a few minutes...
Bud

tarwheel 03-06-12 01:29 PM

Wind is the tough thing about March. Temps are warming a lot in NC and days are getting longer, but the wind is almost a constant. Yesterday we had gusts over 40 mph in many places.

Dudelsack 03-06-12 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee (Post 13938699)
And, according to Pat Robertson, these tornadoes happened because people didn't pray enough.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x...A/cfa193d4.jpg

That remark doesn't belong on this forum.

oldster 03-06-12 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Dudelsack (Post 13940030)
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x...A/cfa193d4.jpg

That remark doesn't belong on this forum.

great looking gato,what kind is it???
Bud

OldsCOOL 03-07-12 05:01 AM

March just turned nice for us. We've had a 68deg swing in the last 48hrs. Monday was -12deg. The snow is going buh-bye and the Trek is getting antsy.