Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

RoadID, finally purchased one

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

RoadID, finally purchased one

Old 03-08-12, 09:29 AM
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HawkOwl
This is a recurring topic. Of course each person must make their own decision. In my case I think RoadID and things like it are awfully expensive for what they do and they don't have any enforceable privacy gurantee.

Medical issues are only one reason to carry ID and may even be the less frequently needed reason. Many states require positive ID when entering places, when stopped by law enforcement, in event of an accident/incident even if the person is merely a witness. In most cases that means a government issued picture ID. In my state and I think many others in addition to a Drivers License a person can get an ID Card. In my state it looks just like the drivers license but doesn't have any of the driving privileges, etc on it. I carry that for TSA and any other ID requirement not involving operating a motor vehicle.

The other thing is identity theft risk. Anytime someone can call in to a place that has your medical records simply by giving a registry number, like RoadID, you can bet someone will use it to get access to your info. How many times in the past year have there been losses of literally thousands of personal records from businesses and government agencies? Answer is many.

Get a picture ID; hang it around your neck and have all the bases covered. Cheaper too.
I more concerned about over-zealous law enforcement violating my constitutional rights, by asking for ID when I'm not being legally detained, than I am about someone knowing my wife's phone number from a RoadID. And guess what? Filing an insurance claim already has your medical records out there where a hacker can get to them, which is a much greater risk that someone reading your ID on your bracelet and using it for nefarious purposes. One individuals information is of litlle value compared to the thousands available through hacking. If I'm driving, I need to carry a drivers license. If I'm riding my bike, I don't. IMO, carrying a RoadID provides the required information, and only the required information, and that is safer from a data-protection perspective than having your address available.
Old 03-08-12, 09:46 AM

Bikes: Trek 1000, Santa Cruz Superlight, and Nashbar X Frame Cyclocross Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AzTallRider
I more concerned about over-zealous law enforcement violating my constitutional rights, by asking for ID when I'm not being legally detained, than I am about someone knowing my wife's phone number from a RoadID. And guess what? Filing an insurance claim already has your medical records out there where a hacker can get to them, which is a much greater risk that someone reading your ID on your bracelet and using it for nefarious purposes. One individuals information is of litlle value compared to the thousands available through hacking. If I'm driving, I need to carry a drivers license. If I'm riding my bike, I don't. IMO, carrying a RoadID provides the required information, and only the required information, and that is safer from a data-protection perspective than having your address available.
Agreed
Old 03-08-12, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Each to his own. But, in most (haven't researched all states so can't say all) states a fairly wide variety of people have the power to demand you identify yourself. They are not detaining, or arresting, just requiring you to identify who you are. If you present a government issued picture ID you are home free. If not, then, they have the power to detain you until they can positively identify you.

The postive ID need not be a drivers license. As I posted earlier, that can be an ID card. Several states issue them upon request. Some are free and some charge. Or, it can be any of a wide variety of identification cards. Some I can think of off the top of my head: Concealed Carry Permit, Passport Card, Some Library Cards that have pictures on them, University ID, and so on)

Carry a picture ID and don't sweat the small stuff, or the politics, or the extra cost, or the potential data theft of the road ID.
Old 03-08-12, 02:36 PM
I need speed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Each to his own. But, in most (haven't researched all states so can't say all) states a fairly wide variety of people have the power to demand you identify yourself. They are not detaining, or arresting, just requiring you to identify who you are. If you present a government issued picture ID you are home free. If not, then, they have the power to detain you until they can positively identify you.
Um... check your laws. From what I understand, and I just refreshed that understanding, the ONLY time it is legal for law enforcement to ask for your identification is if they are detaining you, and doing so for valid reasons. That means they have a reasonable belief that you have, are, or are about to commit a crime. Otherwise, they are violating your consitutional rights, and you are under no obligation to even identify yourself, let alone provide an ID. You have the right to ask the question "Am I being detained?". If the answer is "No", then you can just ride away. If the answer is "Yes", then they need to give you the reason, or actually arrest you (if you are being arrested, the only requirement is to tell you that is happening, not why).

The extent to which we accept the erosion of our constitutional rights, in the mistaken belief it somehow makes us safe, boggles my mind.
Old 03-09-12, 05:34 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
Um... check your laws. From what I understand, and I just refreshed that understanding, the ONLY time it is legal for law enforcement to ask for your identification is if they are detaining you, and doing so for valid reasons. That means they have a reasonable belief that you have, are, or are about to commit a crime. Otherwise, they are violating your consitutional rights, and you are under no obligation to even identify yourself, let alone provide an ID. You have the right to ask the question "Am I being detained?". If the answer is "No", then you can just ride away. If the answer is "Yes", then they need to give you the reason, or actually arrest you (if you are being arrested, the only requirement is to tell you that is happening, not why).

The extent to which we accept the erosion of our constitutional rights, in the mistaken belief it somehow makes us safe, boggles my mind.
Pretty much my understanding as well. However, apparently the police can stop you and ask for ID if they are stopping EVERYONE at, say, a DUI check. Thanks to a SCOTUS decision. If that isn't a violation of your rights under the Constitution I don't know what is.
Old 03-09-12, 07:51 AM

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I can understand why people with medical issues would want to carry a RoadID, but it seems an unnecessary expense for many cyclists. I have a small waterproof plastic "wallet" that holds a copy of my driver's license, health insurance card and a St. Christopher's medal (patron saint of traveler's). I also carry my cell phone with an ICE number. I can't see how a RoadID would provide any added value, and my system doesn't cost a thing. Also, I don't take any medications and have no medical conditions.
Old 03-09-12, 07:54 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
I have the basic information on a sticker that is on my helmet and I plan to order a RoadID soon. With all of my medical problems I need the EMT/paramedics to know what they have laying there.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 03-09-12, 10:21 AM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
As I posted earlier, I don't ride without mine. The reason is because of my leukemia and the medication that I take for it. If something happens to me while riding and I am hospitalized, they need to know what I'm on and any allergies to medications that I have. The medication I take for the leukemia causes thinning of the blood. If I'm not able to give them any medical information and they do surgery on me without knowing that, I could have serious issues. Anyone with a medical condition, taking medication or is allergic to any medication should be riding with one or at least carry something with your medical history. I don't understand what the cost factor has to do getting one, they're only $20.00.

As far as being stopped by law enforcement, unless you live in a podunk town with Barney Fife as your law enforcement officer, your changes of being stopped while riding your bicycle, without probable cause, is very slim. And if you do live in a podunk town, then Barney already knows who you are. I do not carry a photo ID on me when I ride and I was a reserve deputy for 18 years. With today's means of communications, a LEO can find out pretty quick if you are who you say you are, even without a photo ID. If, however, you are being arrested on a bondable offense, you must provide proof of who you are before you can obtain bail.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 03-09-12, 10:53 AM

Bikes: All City Nature Boy, Salsa Ti Fargo, Kona Electric Ute

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have no health issues whatsoever, but I dont ride without one. The main reason is it gives my wife an added measure of comfort knowing that its there just in case. Anyone whos married can tell you a happier spouse is well worth $20.00
Old 03-09-12, 11:36 AM
old fart

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
//snip

Incorrect.

No state nor federal law authorizes anyone to demand identification. This is why we have the 4th amendment to the US Constitution.
Law enforcement is authorized to do this only if they have a reasonable articulable suspicion that a crime has been committed, is being committed, or is about to be committed, and you are somewhat involved. At which point you are being detained, no matter what the encounter actually looks like to you or onlookers.
Pretty much the same as AzTallRider already said on the subject.
As supported by case law and Supreme Court rulings (Terry stop, etc.)
Old 03-09-12, 11:42 AM

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
I can understand why people with medical issues would want to carry a RoadID, but it seems an unnecessary expense for many cyclists. I have a small waterproof plastic "wallet" that holds a copy of my driver's license, health insurance card and a St. Christopher's medal (patron saint of traveler's). I also carry my cell phone with an ICE number. I can't see how a RoadID would provide any added value, and my system doesn't cost a thing. Also, I don't take any medications and have no medical conditions.
In a serious accident your cell phone may be trashed, your jersey torn, your wallet lost and your helmet shattered. It's much less likely a RoadID velcro'ed to your ankle would be lost. Still, it's a personal choice and each of us does what we feel is best.
Old 03-09-12, 11:47 AM
DEK

Bikes: '11 Felt Z85

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I have no medical issues but I have one that I wear all the time when riding even though I may also have my DL with me or other id. I wear it mainly because if I'm involved in an accident, the bright red band is right there on my wrist where it's easily accessible. No one needs to find my saddle bag and search for ID or wallet or phone with an ICE number in it.

There is one other reason I wear one: it makes my wife happy.
Old 03-09-12, 06:18 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My my how misinformation flows. The posts saying law enforcement does not have the power to demand positive identification are making an incorrect assumption. They are assuming they are primary suspects in some criminal endeavour. There are many other situations where positive identification is warranted. I suggest before claiming some constitutional privilege you make some conversation with local LEOs.

Just off the top of my head I can think of one that could happen in the Denver Metro area. There is a 15mph speed limit on some of the trails. Someone decides to enforce the speed limit. You, being the Over 50 Hotrod that you are, break the speed limit. The law needs to positively identify the person to whom they are issuing the citation. A drivers license could be used. But, that risks entanglement with uninformed people. So, I would use my ID card.

While riding a vehicle hits me but there are no injuries. The LEO wants positive ID of both of us for his paperwork. Take a guess what flags that triggers if you say, as some of the posters have intimated, but maybe more politely: "None of your business", or "My name is xxxxxxxx"?

Save everyone a pain and carry a picture ID of some nature.
Old 03-09-12, 06:29 PM
I need speed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My my how misinformation flows. The posts saying law enforcement does not have the power to demand positive identification are making an incorrect assumption. They are assuming they are primary suspects in some criminal endeavour. There are many other situations where positive identification is warranted. I suggest before claiming some constitutional privilege you make some conversation with local LEOs.

Just off the top of my head I can think of one that could happen in the Denver Metro area. There is a 15mph speed limit on some of the trails. Someone decides to enforce the speed limit. You, being the Over 50 Hotrod that you are, break the speed limit. The law needs to positively identify the person to whom they are issuing the citation. A drivers license could be used. But, that risks entanglement with uninformed people. So, I would use my ID card.

While riding a vehicle hits me but there are no injuries. The LEO wants positive ID of both of us for his paperwork. Take a guess what flags that triggers if you say, as some of the posters have intimated, but maybe more politely: "None of your business", or "My name is xxxxxxxx"?

Save everyone a pain and carry a picture ID of some nature.
You just made our point, by using an example of someone being detained because they were committing a crime (speeding). No crime = no right to ask you for for ID, or even to identify yourself. In the latter case, there is no legal requirement (but perhaps a practical one) to provide your identification. Sorry. The constitution wins, whether you choose to exercise your rights or not.
Old 03-09-12, 06:40 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You just made our point, by using an example of someone being detained because they were committing a crime (speeding). No crime = no right to ask you for for ID, or even to identify yourself. In the latter case, there is no legal requirement (but perhaps a practical one) to provide your identification. Sorry. The constitution wins, whether you choose to exercise your rights or not.
I'm sorry, you are absolutely correct. Slow me not to realize you were in Arizona. From the news I gather you folks have some differing interpretations down there. Cheerio and all that...
Old 03-09-12, 07:15 PM

Bikes: Specialized Creo Comp Carbon DeSalvo Custom Ti

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 4 Posts
Medical conditions

I was diagnosed last year with a rare medical condition. I looked at the medic alert program and found it to be lacking, information can only be submitted by fax, there is no online access and the prices are exorbitant.

I am now defined as Steroid Dependent and Testosterone powered and certainly want the EMTs and ER docs to know it. I ended up in the ER 4 times and they never figured out why I was passing out and had such low sodium levels. They always pumped me full of saline while never figuring out why I was passing out. If admitted most hospitals would never run tests for low steroid (Cortosol) or Testosterone levels.

I purchased the dog tag version of Road ID and wear it all the time but will probably get a wrist band in the near future, good thing I got a free coupon...
Old 03-09-12, 08:05 PM
I need speed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm sorry, you are absolutely correct. Slow me not to realize you were in Arizona. From the news I gather you folks have some differing interpretations down there. Cheerio and all that...
What we have down here is a sheriff that wastes the state's money defending his violations of people's constitutional rights, so maybe we've had to educate ourselves on those rights. But, the point a few of us are making, is that it doesn't matter what state you are in. The U.S. Constitution is what provides the protection, and it applies throughout the country. You can be asked for a driver's license if you are driving, as it is a requirement of that activity. Other similar situations exist. But you can't be asked to provide identification just because you are riding your bike. So, carry a license if you want, but become more informed if you want to tell us what can be required, and what can not, at the state level.
Old 03-09-12, 09:31 PM

Bikes: 2020 Giant Cypress DX

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob S
I was diagnosed last year with a rare medical condition. I looked at the medic alert program and found it to be lacking, information can only be submitted by fax, there is no online access and the prices are exorbitant.

I am now defined as Steroid Dependent and Testosterone powered and certainly want the EMTs and ER docs to know it. I ended up in the ER 4 times and they never figured out why I was passing out and had such low sodium levels. They always pumped me full of saline while never figuring out why I was passing out. If admitted most hospitals would never run tests for low steroid (Cortosol) or Testosterone levels.

I purchased the dog tag version of Road ID and wear it all the time but will probably get a wrist band in the near future, good thing I got a free coupon...
With Medic Alert you actually have online access to edit any or all of your information.
My prescription info just changed today and I updated it online like I have for the past ten years.
I find that $98.00 for three years is a cheap price to pay for peace of mind.
As a diabetic I have only had the need for it once in ten years but it worked exactly how it was supposed to.
The important thing here is that you have found an ID system that works for you!
Old 03-10-12, 10:12 AM

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
First responders are trained as part or their initial assessment of an injured person to look for medical alert type of information like RoadID or similar. They will only spend time looking through your bike if, at some point later, they can't figure out who you are when they are filling out their paperwork - if they even think to look in your bike bag (I wouldn't). By then, you're already on your way in an ambulance and the ability to communicate any information found is not great. Any important medical information you needed to convey to those who are working to save you is now back at the accident site and not with you.

On top of this, while you are in an ambulance, your bike is likely to get thrown in the trunk of a police car. At that point, there is likely to be no connection between your information and your rescuers.

I think you have about a 20% chance of this stuff being found in a serious accident where you were rendered unconscious and couldn't tell them to look for it. I think you have about a 5% chance of this information being available when you needed the rescuers to see it.

If you have critical information you want to convey to your rescuers, it needs to be on your person.

J.
Old 03-10-12, 02:32 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I carry my wallet with me. It contains my driver's license, my medical insurance cards, and my pie money.
Old 03-10-12, 02:41 PM

Bikes: Kvale, Peugeot, Cervelo, Bridgestone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got mine. Nice product.

All the cool kids will be wearing them.
Old 03-11-12, 08:01 AM
Pain ?? What Pain !!

Bikes: 2010 Felt F75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had mine for 2 years and I feel safer out there now. I also ride solo 80% of the time. I bring my cell phone but they're useless if you're unconscious. For the price you can't beat it. Good Luck !!
Old 03-11-12, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
The only time I've ever been asked for ID in my life while cycling was for my passport crossing international borders. Even then there were times that I was just waved through. I have been stopped by the police for riding on restricted roads, but they never asked for my identification.

JohnJ80 is correct. I spent 15 years moon-lighting as an EMT on an ambulance crew and am also a ski patroller (30 years this season), and that is one of the first things we looked for is medical alert bracelets or necklaces in an unconscious patient during the assessment. John, isn't that the way they teach it in OEC

Last edited by Doug64; 03-11-12 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-12-12, 09:28 AM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I have a road ID and use on every ride that I don't forget to put it on, however, it was a gift and I'm not sure I would have it otherwise. I would carry some form of ID in the event of an accident.

As to police demands, a friend was stopped while walking one evening in my smaller rural town and when asked for an ID his response was "Do I need a license to walk"? At that point the officer got back into his car and left him alone.
Old 03-12-12, 10:19 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had my Road ID for a few years. I needed to update some information so I ordered a new one and went with the interactive updates. I also ordered extra wrist bands in different colors....women need these options

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.