Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Some additions to the family

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-12, 04:57 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts

The pictures tell the story. I'm aiming to have them built into fully-fledged touring bikes by Easter.

These frames have virtually been around the world already. Thorn closed its frame shop in England last year and now sources their frames from Taiwan. So they've gone from Taiwan to England, then on to Australia. Ordered on Thursday 1 March, arrived on Monday 5 March... but we did pay a premium on the freight.

Frame material is Reynolds 751. Machka's is 533mm in size, mine 555. L-o-n-g chainstays. Come with seatpost, fork, headset, cable hanger, and rear brake cable adjuster... and more braze-ons than you can poke stick at.

Components will be, among others, Shimano, Mavic, DT Swiss, Brooks, SKS, Schwalbe and Problem Solvers.

I may bump this thread as the builds progress.
Old 03-08-12, 06:47 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Nice frames y'all have gotten Rowan, should make some great tourers for you and Machka. Please do keep the build updated so we can ooh and ahh at the goodies as you add to the frames. Loking forward to seeing the bicycles.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 03-08-12, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Very nice. I'd love to see some pics as the work progresses.
Old 03-08-12, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only things that I can foresee being wrong about the bikes is that they'll be built upside down and made to travel on the wrong side of the road. Good looking frames now get busy building but not to busy to post pictures as you go.
Old 03-08-12, 12:40 PM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Very nice his and hers matching frames. Curious to see the finished products.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 03-08-12, 06:59 PM

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Please do update the threat. I would be especially interested in the bikes geometry as well as the geometry of the forks. I'm planning to do light touring myself, never having done it. As a consequence, bikes designed specifically for that purpose are of great interest.
Old 03-08-12, 08:34 PM
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Tasty stuff...What is the target tyre width?
Old 03-08-12, 11:02 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I dig that color Man!

Originally Posted by Rowan
Old 03-12-12, 05:10 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Okie-dokie... been away for a long weekend of a 200kim randonnee on the tandem, a 20km exploration ride of an historic gold mining region on the Ti singles, and a fantastic return train ride to another historic town.

Originally Posted by overthehillmedi
The only things that I can foresee being wrong about the bikes is that they'll be built upside down and made to travel on the wrong side of the road. Good looking frames now get busy building but not to busy to post pictures as you go.
Hehehehe... the frames were designed in the UK where everything is done on the left side of the road, made in Taiwan where they, I believe, drive on the left side of the road, and reside in Australia where we also use the left side.

Get with the program, you guys!

Originally Posted by berner
Please do update the threat. I would be especially interested in the bikes geometry as well as the geometry of the forks. I'm planning to do light touring myself, never having done it. As a consequence, bikes designed specifically for that purpose are of great interest.
Yes, interesting questions on the geometry and forks.

The seat tube angle on Machka's is 74 deg and on mine 73.5. The head tube angle is, I think, parallel to the seat tube. The chainstays are really long at 440mm on hers, and 445 on mine. And after that the frame dimensions published by SJS/Thorn are a bit airy-fairy.

The forks have traditional crowns and blades with quite the sweep. Thorn guarantee that toe overlap will NOT be a problem on any bike they sell.

The frames have vertical dropouts, so we will be going with the usual cassette-and-derailleur set-up. We could have gone the Thorn Ravens, but we figure these bikes will take all that we will throw at them, and while I do lust after the Rohloff hubs, the cost is prohibitive for us right now.

Suffice to say that the guy who holds the record for the north-south crossing of both American continents rode a Thorn Club Tour (according to the Thorn website).

Originally Posted by CrankyFranky
Tasty stuff...What is the target tyre width?
We'll be using 700 x 28C Schwalbe Duranos which we use on the tandem and have proven to be very durable and comparatively light; they also seem to be much closer to their published cross-sectional size than others. They will go on Mavic A719 rims, which we also have on the tandem, and are among the favoured choices among touring cyclists; again, light and durable.

The bikes will be built primarily for our upcoming six-month tour that includes much (or some) of the North Sea Route. We expect them to last us for a long, long time.

The frames and forks have the capacity to go to 37mm width. The rear drop-outs are standard MTB 135mm, so we will be opting for Shimano Deore hubs (the Thorn standard, and they are durable enough for us).

Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
I dig that color Man!
It's called British Racing Green (Machka's is just blue, but with a faint irridescence about it), and according to the Thorn material, it is based more on the old Bentley green. Seeing I won't be ever owning a Bentley, I am happy to have a bike in that colour!

Last edited by Rowan; 03-12-12 at 05:17 AM.
Old 03-12-12, 07:43 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Is there a more aptly named bicycle component company than "Problem Solvers"?