Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Finally made the move to Speedplay

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-12, 05:02 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

I've been having more trouble getting unclipped from my beloved SPD-SLs lately. I hate getting old.
So I decided to give Speedplay another try. Went to a great little bike shop in Dunnellon, FL (we've been in FL for 1.5 months) -- Blue Run Bicycles. Talked to the owner about my unclipping problems and told him I was thinking about trying Speedplay again. You may remember my unhappy experience with them in 2005/6(??).
He suggested either the Zeros or the Light Action. He explained the differences and I opted for the Light Action. He gave me some great tips and the daughter (former bike shop owner) of our upstairs neighbors gave me some helpful tips too.

Took them for a short 13 mile test ride yesterday. Practiced clipping and unclipping while riding by the cow pastures onthe way to the Withlacoochee Trail. I figured if I fell, the cows wouldn't laugh. Didn't have any problems clipping in or unclipping.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 03-17-12, 05:11 PM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Looks like a nice little bike shop. I'll have to drop by next time I'm in the area. Good luck with the Speedplays. I know several people that have them and swear by them. I really like my SPD pedals. Over 4,000 miles and never a problem.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 03-17-12, 05:30 PM

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
I got the speed play zeros because I could adjust the float. Once you get used to them I don't think you will go back.
Old 03-17-12, 07:07 PM

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Not really sure. On zeros it is where you adjust the float. But on light actions you get 15 degrees of float even if you have zero cleats. I have light actions on one of my road bikes and even with the adjuster set close to zero float it takes 15 degrees to unclip. The same adjustment on a Zero pedal and you keep you foot in one position with no float. There isn't supposed to be any adjustment on light actions.
Old 03-17-12, 07:14 PM
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I have the zero's and love them. Wonderful stomp and go system. Great for starting out on hills.
Old 03-18-12, 09:24 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I'm using Speedplays and although they were a pain to set up initially I really like them. FWIW once you know how to set them up it all makes sense and is pretty easy. My gf OTOH has SPD's and is constantly fumbling to get into them. She's gotten much better with them after a couple years but I never have a problem and she occasionally still does. It could be just her but I may buy her some Speedplay light actions to see if it helps.