Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   PLEASE HELP ME settle this argument about my 9 SPEED Giant FCR 1 (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/805302-please-help-me-settle-argument-about-my-9-speed-giant-fcr-1-a.html)

Wogster 03-18-12 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Rowan (Post 13985186)
Actually, all of you saying he has 18 gears are not quite correct. If you do an analysis of the chainring-cog combination, you will find quite a few overlap -- that is, they are either identical, or the difference between them is so incidental as to be insignificant. Likely, while the rider has 18 speeds at his disposal, he actually has only 11 or 12 useful gears.

Of course, if he had a triple up front, things become a little more complicated by the need usually to avoid cross-chaining, so 27 speeds on a 3x9 would equate to 18 or 17 or 16.

The real answer is 2 ranges of 9 gears each, you have low range for climbing hills (which is 9 gears) and high range for the flats and downhill (also 9 gears). Although the lowest gear in high range and the highest gear in low range are not recommended, because they cause excess wear on on the chain. This can be referred to as a 9 speed double, 2 by 9 (often written as 2x9) or 18 speeds, the last one is the only one that isn't really clear because 3x6 is also 18 speeds.

TomD77 03-18-12 04:16 PM

If you're almost always pulling top gear (except for climbing), I suspect somethings up. My top gear is 50:11 and is sure as h*** isn't a cruising gear unless you cruise at 30+ mph

ro-monster 03-18-12 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by kajero (Post 13984392)
I can shift a total of 9 times by moving the thumb lever on the left. It is has two positions. When it's positioned on the right side, I can shift 5 times. When I moved it to the right, I can shift 4 times. So I know I can shift a total of 9 times.

I just had the bike tuned up so it has be be in great condition. In fact it feels like a new bike. Except it seems to rattle in gear 5, but it always has.

If a shop did a tune-up on your bike and didn't spot a problem that caused half your gear combinations to not work, it may be time to look for a better mechanic. Otherwise, if the bike is actually working properly, perhaps you should ask them to show you how to shift into all 18 gears.

Rowan 03-19-12 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Barrettscv (Post 13985391)
Now you’re just trying to confuse the OP.

Yep.

Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz (Post 13986146)
Thas' what I'm talkin' 'bout! :thumb::D..........(post #18)

And yep!

jethro56 03-19-12 04:33 AM

Unless you're riding @ 30 mph and above all the time the real problem is that your cadence is too slow. In other words you need to learn how to pedal at a faster rpm.

BluesDawg 03-19-12 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by Rowan (Post 13985186)
Actually, all of you saying he has 18 gears are not quite correct. If you do an analysis of the chainring-cog combination, you will find quite a few overlap -- that is, they are either identical, or the difference between them is so incidental as to be insignificant. Likely, while the rider has 18 speeds at his disposal, he actually has only 11 or 12 useful gears.

Of course, if he had a triple up front, things become a little more complicated by the need usually to avoid cross-chaining, so 27 speeds on a 3x9 would equate to 18 or 17 or 16.

It is still 18 gear combinations, even if some of them result in the same ratio.

Retro Grouch 03-19-12 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by kajero (Post 13984027)
But that doesn't help. I can't win the argument.

So are you less confused now? Glad we all could help.

kajero 03-19-12 05:53 PM

[QUOTE=stapfam;13986643]Call it what you like but to me it is an 18 gear- 9 speed bike.QUOTE]

We agreed on this. We both won.

We both won the argument. We settled on what you said.

By the way, I am 60 years old so I am allowed to be confused.

I went with a group of 15 on a ride Sunday. Nine had new bikes or bikes a year old so I got the bike bug. I also got a nice bonus at work. I decided this year I was spending it on me. Therefore, I've decided to buy a low-end carbon bike. I don't know how much longer I will be riding so I decided I should really have some fun!

I went to the LBS right after the ride. Well after we ate lunch. The sales guy says my bike is one size too big. When I bought my bike I wondered about that, but the Giant dealer didn't seem to know which size would be best for me. (That was four years ago so there is no need to discuss it). This time I will get LOTS more advice when I buy the new bike.

I test rode a smaller bike. I can really see where I have more control and be more efficient. If I do buy a bike, I think will try clipless shoes again see as I can stand over the cross bar and put my feet on the ground with having to lean over. It also a shorter distance to the ground if I fall, right?
Thanks to everyone who helped me get a little less confused. I am 90% there. I'll work on the other 10%.

Now i can get confused all over again with a new ride!:lol:

qcpmsame 03-20-12 05:58 AM

Another N+1 strikes the 50+ bretheren (and sisteren, too) Hope you find what fits you and suits your riding needs best.

Bill