Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

The measure of our addiction:

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-12, 11:29 AM
enthusiast

Bikes: 2010 BMC SL 01 Roadracer, 2012 Davidson Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In a freak ski accident (boot failure!?!) last Friday, I sustained a 'minor' ankle sprain. Doc recommended 10 days off the bike at a minimum and maybe more. I'm half way through my sentence and as of now it feels like it will be more.

I dying for a ride like a junkie wants a fix - even a session on the trainer or spin class would do.

It's going to take some discipline to stay off the bike long enough to give the ankle a chance to heal well enough to avoid a chronic issue. It will almost be a pleasure to regain the lost fitness after this.

How do you guys deal with a forced layoff from riding?
Old 03-22-12, 11:39 AM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I miss being outdoors and worry about fitness loss. Once I'm back on the bike my universe is in balance again.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 03-22-12, 11:53 AM

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Put a band-aide on it and get a-riding.
Old 03-22-12, 11:53 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
10 days will be nothing--Especially as you will back on it gently after about 7.

Spike Milligan
Old 03-22-12, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Discipline is the key word here. While I might ache to ride again, I know that would be foolish. Fortunately, I have photography, music and a handful of other interests that can keep my from going completely off the deep end. Because you indicated the accident happened when skiing, I wonder if most of even all of you interests are physical in nature. Should that be the case, there may be some value in expanding your interests just a little.
Old 03-22-12, 12:29 PM

Bikes: 2017 Giant Cypress 24-speed & 2017 Giant Escape 21-speed

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
I don't know why there's so much preoccupation with biking addiction.

I'm not addicted!

I'll confess I ride every chance I get, but I can quit any time I want!

Don
Old 03-22-12, 12:30 PM
Time for a change.

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RVwriter
I don't know why there's so much preoccupation with biking addiction.

I'm not addicted!

I'll confess I ride every chance I get, but I can quit any time I want!

Don
Same here--Did it 5 times last year

Spike Milligan
Old 03-22-12, 12:34 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by rdtompki
Put a band-aide on it and get a-riding.
Exactly. Rub some dirt on it and HTFU.

j/k. I know what you mean. I'd much rather be out there cycling than stuck here doing whatever it is I'm supposed to be doing.

Old 03-22-12, 12:45 PM
enthusiast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thx for the encouragement y'all, although given the hill on which I live, I don't know if there is a way to, "get back on it gently..."

Yes, I have other interests, but the cycling does keep the arthritis in the knees at bay and I've come to crave the endorphins that follow a big effort. My wife is actually excited about getting the canoe out earlier than usual since we can't ski or ride this weekend. Then there's also the gardening, professional work, home improvements, building a chicken coop, (Oh God, when can I get back on the bike?)
Old 03-22-12, 12:53 PM
Time for a change.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JamieElenbaas
Thx for the encouragement y'all, although given the hill on which I live, I don't know if there is a way to, "get back on it gently..."

Then there's also the gardening, professional work, home improvements, building a chicken coop, (Oh God, when can I get back on the bike?)
Sounds like you need to retire--And what chickens?---- Only have a few for eggs and in a small run--No free Range here as I have and still want a garden.

Only pic we have of our chooks when they thought they were changing into ducks--Had a few spells of rain over the winter.

Spike Milligan
Old 03-22-12, 01:53 PM
enthusiast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just starting with the hens. Same here - 4 for eggs. It must be difficult to keep health birds in that mire!
Old 03-22-12, 02:35 PM
Time for a change.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Just starting with the hens. Same here - 4 for eggs. It must be difficult to keep health birds in that mire!
This was after some exceptional rain and next morning it was gone and next day the run was completely dry.

And nothing like a fresh egg for dinner- Omelettes- Scrambled- Fried- boiled -poached and for winter after a surplus----Pickled.

But the day that rain came- 2" in 2 hours- I was supposed to ride with some mates. I looked at the weather forecast and the sky and when the mates came round I said that they might get wet and I was staying at home. 30 minutes later- just as they got to the top of the Hills- the skies opened. Sometimes it is wise not to ride.

Spike Milligan
Old 03-22-12, 04:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The problems with farm fresh eggs is pealing them for deviled eggs and they spoil you for store bought.
Old 03-22-12, 05:19 PM

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Jamie,
Last June 12th, I went over my bars and fractured my arm. I didn't ride again until July 17th, and that was cheating doctor's orders. I feel your pain, figuratively speaking. Listen to your doctor and find other stuff to do until you are healed. I did a lot of reading and posting on BF. I know, I know.
Old 03-22-12, 05:27 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If the doc gave me orders to stay off the bike for a spell, I would have had to ask him "How am I suposed to get home?" He wouldn't be suprised either as he often looks out the window to see which bike I rode to my appointment.

Follow the doctor's orders but don't sweat it too much. I walked off a broken ankle my Junior year in High School (parents refused to spring for an x-ray based on the school nurse's diagnosis) and I hardly limp at all!!
Old 03-22-12, 06:21 PM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
About 3-4 years ago, when riding a whole lot, I got a Baker's Cyst on one of my knees. I couldn't ride for several weeks. I was so sad that I'd get in my convertible (I know, how sad can you be if you have a convertible...), and started driving some of my regular bike routes. But I was sad. Really.

But that was nothing compared to the two crashes with concussions two springs ago. Be thankful that you've only got a minor setback.
Old 03-22-12, 08:11 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Sounds like you need to retire--And what chickens?---- Only have a few for eggs and in a small run--No free Range here as I have and still want a garden.

Only pic we have of our chooks when they thought they were changing into ducks--Had a few spells of rain over the winter.
Do chickens get trench-claw?

I was just wondering.

Old 03-23-12, 11:40 AM
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Treat the time off as recovery. If you do a fibonacci training sequence, you need to spend 15 days off the bike each year anyway. Your previous fitness will carry you thru, and you'll be energized mentally to build over the coming year to the next level. When I was racing, I was training so intently that I was happy to be off the bike for a few days. But now, no longer doing "real training," I ride pretty much every day, but at much lower intensity, and with much greater enjoyment, so I can empathize with how you feel about being off the bike. But sometimes your body tells you things, and falling into a natural cycle, or following fate's dictates, sometimes is beneficial in the long run.

Luis
Old 03-23-12, 12:37 PM
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Two days off (like not commuting yesterday and today due to appointments) drives me crazy. 10 days would kill me. I'd have to tape it up or something. Anything under 8-10 hours in a week and I feel fat, lazy, and out of shape.
Old 03-23-12, 07:23 PM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
I dying for a ride like a junkie wants a fix - even a session on the trainer or spin class would do.

It's going to take some discipline to stay off the bike long enough to give the ankle a chance to heal well enough to avoid a chronic issue. It will almost be a pleasure to regain the lost fitness after this.

How do you guys deal with a forced layoff from riding?
I've been there and done that. I had to go cold turkey for almost 30 days when I went flying over my handlebars after colliding with my wife's recumbent trike and injuring my back. I ride daily so I had serious withdrawals by the end of the third day. It wasn't easy, but it was a hell of a rush when I was able to ride again. Seriously, take it easy and let your ankle heal so it doesn't bother you when you start riding again. Since you have a trainer, you may want to consider trying a few miles on it (when you're ready) rather than take the bike out, find out your ankle isn't up to par and have to walk it home or call someone to come and get you.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress