Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

First ride on Continental GP 4000S WOW!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

First ride on Continental GP 4000S WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-12, 07:19 AM

Bikes: Felt F3C; Colnago Masterlight

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I just bought a pair of 25s from PBK for $90.19 delivered.
Old 04-18-12, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BikeArkansas
I use the Attack - Force set on both my road bikes. The back is a 24 with an extra layer of flat protection. The front is a 22. I now buy them only. Not sure why I was not using them all along.
Was thinking about switching to them. Pretty expensive though.
Old 04-18-12, 06:14 PM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
I hate all tires. They cost a bunch and I never wear them out. They get cut up and sliced before they have a chance.
OK, OK, I overstate my case.
I've run a lot of Schwalbe Ultremo tires. They are really light (180 grams), and I've been able to score them on Bonktown for a good price.
I have a set of 4000s on my bench to try because PBK had a big sale, but it's hard to imagine them being all that different. But being as I ride in the land of broken glass and goat heads, I'm sure I'll get to try them soon. Film at 11....
Old 04-21-12, 10:02 PM

Bikes: Trek 5500 OCLV, Trek Fuel EX 9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeArkansas
I use the Attack - Force set on both my road bikes. The back is a 24 with an extra layer of flat protection. The front is a 22. I now buy them only. Not sure why I was not using them all along.
Conti Attack/Force is what I ride on my Trek 5500 -- very nice tires!
Old 04-22-12, 08:03 AM
The guy in the 50+ jersey

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
I'll need new tires for my Roubaix soon and I'm about ready to flip a coin between the Conti GP 4000S and the new Michelin Pro 4.
Dawg...I ride the Roubaix - Conti 4000S combo & would think of NOTHING else for a tire. Stable, roll easily, no major puncture issues. If you ride wheels that can give you trouble getting the tires on the rims, put the tires in a dryer for 15min, makes it a fair bit easier to get them on then.
Old 04-22-12, 08:28 AM

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,579 Times in 1,221 Posts
Originally Posted by cccorlew
I hate all tires. They cost a bunch and I never wear them out. They get cut up and sliced before they have a chance.
OK, OK, I overstate my case.
I've run a lot of Schwalbe Ultremo tires. They are really light (180 grams), and I've been able to score them on Bonktown for a good price.
I have a set of 4000s on my bench to try because PBK had a big sale, but it's hard to imagine them being all that different. But being as I ride in the land of broken glass and goat heads, I'm sure I'll get to try them soon. Film at 11....
The first time I met you, you were pulling off the road in Canyon and mentioned that it was your second flat of the day. You were wearing the 50+ shirt, that's a lot of flats...
Old 04-23-12, 02:40 PM

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
the 4000s seem to be the most talked about favorite tire of all, at least as far as bike internet forums go. no question about them being one of the better tires out there for day to day recreational riding as long as puncture resistance isn't a top priority.
Old 04-27-12, 04:05 AM

Bikes: Viner, Klein, Caad9, Giant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well
there is one down side i have found with 4000s.
It's still a great tire, still my favorite but I only have it installed now on one bike - my "speed" bike.

My "rugged" bike has something else - trying gatorskins and conti 4-seasons there.

The downside I found on the 4000s was that I ended up with slit sidewalls - 2 of the 3 or 4 times this happened I flatted. The other time(s) I booted the tire and rode with it but gave up on the booted tire after just 500 km or so. (could have kept going, but chickened out really) So if you think your 4000s may at some point dip into a rut or brush up against something while riding - that's its weak spot and watch out.
If the terrain is really flat and free from this risk, the 4000s are great. Top of the line. Bar none.

I am trying gatorskins and 4-seasons now on the "rugged" bike - which is still a road bike - because they have supposedly more sidewall protection. Works so far but not that much "proof" yet as these sidewall impacts are rare.

And I try not to ride the "speed" bike in places which might abuse the tires from the side.
Old 04-27-12, 05:22 AM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by ericm979
I use both- 4000s for training, pr2/3/4 for racing. PRs ride a little nicer than the 4000s and feel a little sticker in turns. But 4000s are pretty good, and last longer.

I found PR4s at a slight discount at PBK a while back. They're nice.
Without having ridden Vittoria's, this seems about right. 4000s are great for all around riding, as long as your roads aren't too chopped up. The PR's are another level of ride quality entirely, especially with latex tubes.

As for me, I've gone to Gator Hardshell 28's on my everyday rider. Go big or go home.

Update: Good sale on most of the tires mentioned in this thread at Ribble right now.

Last edited by Terex; 04-27-12 at 07:47 AM.