Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Palm Sunday

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-12, 06:23 AM

Bikes: Trek 7.5 FX, Trek Navigator 2.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Palm Sunday

Hope everyone has a great Palm Sunday. I was just wondering if Jesus made his triumphant entry into Jerusalem today if he would ride a borrowed bike instead of a donkey. A donkey would probably be hard to find.
Old 04-01-12, 07:08 AM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
This may resurrect the "what would Jesus ride" discussions of a few years ago.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 04-01-12, 08:43 AM
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
He had better have the proper travel documents, and a bullet proof vest. However. he IS Jesus, so maybe he wouldn't need these things. Like many of the preachers of TV and super churches, Jesus would probably enter in a private jet wearing a $5000 suit and handmade Italian shoes.
Old 04-01-12, 08:46 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
As far as I can tell there are still a lot of asses in the middle east.
Old 04-01-12, 08:55 AM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Shifty
He had better have the proper travel documents, and a bullet proof vest. However. he IS Jesus, so maybe he wouldn't need these things. Like many of the preachers of TV and super churches, Jesus would probably enter in a private jet wearing a $5000 suit and handmade Italian shoes.
I was wondering how long a sweet thread would last before someone dumped their bile into it. My son-in-law works in a "super-church". He drives a used car, wears old Adidas, and somewhat threadbare blue jeans. I hire his wife part time to provide them spending money, and my wife shops at consignment stores to buy their kids (my grandchildren) clothes.

Your comments are thoughtless, insensitive, rude, narrow mind, and wrong. You probably thought you were pretty clever.

Old 04-01-12, 09:26 AM
Sore saddle cyclist

Yes, this should be in P&R, mods, do your thing.
Old 04-01-12, 09:28 AM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
According to information found on the interwebs, this is a photo of Jesus Lizama riding a bicycle. Would guess that Jesus is the one dressed in white.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
jesus on a bike.jpg (97.7 KB, 14 views)
Old 04-01-12, 09:30 AM

One man's bile is another man's truth. Wouldn't it be nice if we could accept that?
Old 04-01-12, 10:01 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
This thread should be moved to P&R. It has the potential to spark debate about subjects that have no connection to bicycling Just to demonstrate, let me play devil's advocate for a moment: There is no God. Of course, everyone sees the danger here. So let's get smart and move the thread.
Old 04-01-12, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Shifty
Yes, this should be in P&R, mods, do your thing.
Just want to clear this up: I do not endorse any political or religious beliefs on this forum.

I do resent it when my family is attacked.

I do not care what your religious beliefs are.

Your remarks are thoughtless, insensitive, rude, narrow-minded, and wrong.

And now you want to hide behind the mods and make this into something other than the showcase for Internet Aspergers that you've made it into.

Have a nice day

Old 04-01-12, 10:12 AM
Sore saddle cyclist

Yes, you also have a nice day
Old 04-01-12, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Just dropped in to check BF. Nothing new here. See ya!
Old 04-01-12, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Dudelsack
Just want to clear this up: I do not endorse any political or religious beliefs on this forum.

I do resent it when my family is attacked.

I do not care what your religious beliefs are.

Your remarks are thoughtless, insensitive, rude, narrow-minded, and wrong.

And now you want to hide behind the mods and make this into something other than the showcase for Internet Aspergers that you've made it into.

Have a nice day
Perhaps you should have addressed it privately instead of cranking it up in this thread. That becomes an open invitation for others to join in.
Old 04-01-12, 05:30 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
What is palm sunday?
Old 04-01-12, 06:09 PM
No I'm Not a Pirate!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zonatandem
What is palm sunday?
I think in the Bible it has something to do with Jesus entering into the city of Jerusalem. But, for me my memories of Palm Sunday are about 1965 and a Tornado outbreak, and one that went right up the street that we lived on at the time. Completely destroyed a large brick building across the street, and East a block of us, but just left a few of those bricks from that building in our front yard, and tore off a few roof shingles...

That's what Palm Sunday reminds me of....
Old 04-01-12, 06:37 PM
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Palm Sunday is a great time in Christian History. Wikipedia has a better review than I can post.

I attend a Mega church in the Las Vegas area. We also host one of the largest addiction recovery programs in America and have outreach into 6 prisons. Don't paint everyone with the same brush and also don't take everything personal.

I am a MOD and am leaving this here for now. I think people in the 50+ group are pretty secure in their convictions. This started as a light hearted thread, let's keep it that way. I personally think that Jesus would make his entrance today in a simple but obvious way. A group bike ride would be unique. BUT, I think He would be on a Mountain Bike! Jesus seemed to like the out back areas and then duck into the cities to make a point. A Hardtail would have served Him well.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 04-01-12, 08:48 PM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My uncle is a Catholic Priest, now retired. One Palm Sunday, my uncle came down the aisle riding on a forklift and the congregation threw palms in the aisle just before he past the attendees of the service.
Old 04-02-12, 04:28 AM

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
At my old church, we had a wooden framed , stuffed donkey. The kids from Sunday School would pull one of the littler kids riding on the back of this donkey as parishioners threw down palms . A very sweet scene .
Old 04-02-12, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Daspydyr
BUT, I think He would be on a Mountain Bike! Jesus seemed to like the out back areas and then duck into the cities to make a point. A Hardtail would have served Him well.
A mountain bike? Now that's blasphemy! Jesus was definitely a roadie.
Old 04-02-12, 06:17 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Our priest always wishes the twice a year group Merry Christmas on Easter Sunday since he will not see them until then. Got to get ready for Maunday Thursday stripping of the altar, Good Friday noon service, Easter Saturday night mass and sunrise service on the lawn at 0630. Busy week.

Jesus had to be a roadie, what else could he be but the best!

Just all in jest, I never, ever judge anyone on their religion, or not having a belief system or their politics. Not any of my business and not my place to judge.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 04-02-12 at 06:21 AM.
Old 04-02-12, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bruce19
A mountain bike? Now that's blasphemy! Jesus was definitely a roadie.
Fixie.
Old 04-02-12, 10:41 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jesus was comfortable with all people. He was always in His element no matter who he was talking to. Hybrid!
Old 04-02-12, 11:09 AM
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The thing that differentiated Jesus was that he was not above associating with anybody, no matter how reviled or unpopular they were. His mission was to save the souls of the most unfortunate in society. Therefore, he'd likely be on a bent.

Luis
Old 04-02-12, 12:34 PM

Bikes: 2012 Motobecane (BikesDirect) Immortal Force; 2011 (?) Civia Bryant Gates Carbon Belt Drive (upgraded to Alfine 11 and Gates CenterTrack)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
I was wondering how long a sweet thread would last before someone dumped their bile into it. My son-in-law works in a "super-church". He drives a used car, wears old Adidas, and somewhat threadbare blue jeans. I hire his wife part time to provide them spending money, and my wife shops at consignment stores to buy their kids (my grandchildren) clothes.

Your comments are thoughtless, insensitive, rude, narrow mind, and wrong. You probably thought you were pretty clever.
I assume that the unfortunate post was meant as you understood it - but it may be closer than you think theologically to the original intent.

As I recall, riding a donkey was associated with royalty in the time of the Gospels. It's been a long time, and I am no longer a Christian, but I am pretty sure that Jesus's entrance was suppsosed to be a triumphal royal entrance. We might think of a person riding a donkey as poor, but I am am not sure that was true in Gospel times.

I don't know what a triumphal royal procession would look like today. But I think that a reasonable theological argument could be made that were the Messiah to ride into Jerusalem today, it would be in a royal procession (at least from the point of view of the person who wrote the quoted psalms).

What does strike me as odd is that the Wikipedia article completely avoids the mention of Sukkot - the festival where Jews parade around shaking palm fronds saying (approximately) "Hosanna, hosanna, hosanna". I think any 1st or 2nd century Jew who heard the story would immediately see a reference to Sukkot. There may be a tradition about the messaih returning on Sukkot - I don't know.

I do know that the first time I celebrated Sukkot, I was surprised to find that what I thought was a unuique event (parading around shaking palm fronds and saynig 'Hosanna, hosanna, hosanna") in fact had been been happennig every year for a very long time before the times of the Gospels (and has continued for 1000s of years since the time of the Gospels).
Old 04-02-12, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by mikepwagner
I assume that the unfortunate post was meant as you understood it - but it may be closer than you think theologically to the original intent.

As I recall, riding a donkey was associated with royalty in the time of the Gospels. It's been a long time, and I am no longer a Christian, but I am pretty sure that Jesus's entrance was suppsosed to be a triumphal royal entrance. We might think of a person riding a donkey as poor, but I am am not sure that was true in Gospel times.

I don't know what a triumphal royal procession would look like today. But I think that a reasonable theological argument could be made that were the Messiah to ride into Jerusalem today, it would be in a royal procession (at least from the point of view of the person who wrote the quoted psalms).

What does strike me as odd is that the Wikipedia article completely avoids the mention of Sukkot - the festival where Jews parade around shaking palm fronds saying (approximately) "Hosanna, hosanna, hosanna". I think any 1st or 2nd century Jew who heard the story would immediately see a reference to Sukkot. There may be a tradition about the messaih returning on Sukkot - I don't know.

I do know that the first time I celebrated Sukkot, I was surprised to find that what I thought was a unuique event (parading around shaking palm fronds and saynig 'Hosanna, hosanna, hosanna") in fact had been been happennig every year for a very long time before the times of the Gospels (and has continued for 1000s of years since the time of the Gospels).
Being a pagan Mayan god worshipper, these theological fine points are lost upon me. I personally would like to see ritual human sacrifice make a comeback, and think one or two members of this forum would make fine candidates but please keep in mind that participation would be strictly voluntary, at least initially.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.