Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   I got a chuckle out of this during todays ride... (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/811123-i-got-chuckle-out-during-todays-ride.html)

cranky old dude 04-13-12 03:36 PM

I got a chuckle out of this during todays ride...

I got in a little 35 miler today, finally. It seems that the weather has been colder than normal and quite breezy for the past few weeks. I'll commute in less than pleasant conditions but I prefer not to take a leisure ride unless it's relatively comfortable outside. Fifty degrees with a gentle breeze off the 45 degree lake qualified as comfortable, well....comfortable enough.

So I spied a group of about five deer right where Gyro told me they would be. This was the only clear(ish) picture I got.

"Never mind that grass. These Tulips are to die for!!"

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...2/IMG_0091.jpg

Mort Canard 04-13-12 07:35 PM

Yep, they do like flowers! My sister in law has an ongoing battle with them. She plants decorative gardens and they treat it like a salad bar.

Good Pic!

Gyro 04-13-12 08:02 PM

What time were you in there? I went through around 12:30 after hitting cycle west on Dewey to check on my cb750. Crossed the river at the zoo and rode the east bank down to Shumway. Now's a good time to ride it before the trees are full again. It's a jungle in there in July. Saw 10 more deer together near Shumway and two more on the Hojack.

Camilo 04-14-12 12:28 AM

cranky old dude 04-14-12 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Gyro (Post 14095239)
What time were you in there? I went through around 12:30 after hitting cycle west on Dewey to check on my cb750. Crossed the river at the zoo and rode the east bank down to Shumway. Now's a good time to ride it before the trees are full again. It's a jungle in there in July. Saw 10 more deer together near Shumway and two more on the Hojack.

I was about 45 minutes ahead of you on the Little Blue Bike.

I headed down-river on the west side and met the bride for lunch on Ling Rd. After lunch I lumbered off towards Braddock Bay Park then back and up 390.

It sounds like I may have to rebuild the front hub after all!!

Jamesw2 04-15-12 08:41 AM

So i guess they are cutting staff at the graveyard again. Hiring animals. i guess it's just the way republicans do things. ( joking of course)
Nice pix

berner 04-15-12 04:09 PM

As a boy growing up in a very rural, agricultural community in upstate New York, I sometimes saw deer or an occasional pheasant but that was it. These days deer are all over in dozens. My family in N.Y. are farmers growing apples and deer love to dine on young trees they have spent a few years nursing to a productive stage. Where I never saw a wild turkey until I was 20 years old, today on our club ride I saw half a dozen in a field. Those suckers are big.

I rather enjoy wild life about but I don't own apple trees. My nephew, the farmer, has a black bear living in the woods behind his house and so far the bear keeps to the woods. As a precaution, because he and his wife have two kids, they also have a very large dog.

david58 04-15-12 04:40 PM

One of the joys of riding where I live is getting to see deer, pheasant, trophy turkeys, and the like.

I love my bike.

My bikes.....

cranky old dude 04-15-12 05:22 PM

My Father-in-law used to hang bars of soap from the dwarf apple trees in his orchards. He claimed it kept the deer away, I teased that it was so the deer could wash-up before meals.

leob1 04-16-12 07:17 AM

A long time ago, my wife and I planted roses next to our deck. The first year, they had a few flowers, nothing to write home about, and that was expected. The second year, they had lots of buds, just after the buds opened, just barley open, the deer came and ate them all. It looked as if they used a pruner to cut them off, it was that neat of a cut.
I was so po'd I ripped them out of the ground by the afternoon.

Gyro 04-16-12 08:34 AM

Not wanting to stray to far from home yesterday, I rode 25 miles in said cemetery over their road grid. I made an unofficial study of what plants the deer didn't seem to eat as I rode along. Daffodil, Lilies and Hyacinths were in abundance. So these type should be safe. :)

Phil85207 04-16-12 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesw2 (Post 14099801)
So i guess they are cutting staff at the graveyard again. Hiring animals. i guess it's just the way republicans do things. ( joking of course)
Nice pix

Do you even know who is in office?

bigbadwullf 04-16-12 12:05 PM

Or hire workers, pay them too much, give them big benefits and, of course pensions and then wonder why businesses go out of business and we have a recession and subsequently no jobs (that's the way Democrats do things). Joke, of course...