Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

400 km brevet day after colonoscopy?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 04-14-12, 09:16 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 1,072 Posts

Yikes, I just realized I have a colonoscopy scheduled Friday, when I have a 400 km brevet planned for Saturday

Essentially I can't eat anything after breakfast Thursday, until after the procedure Friday morning. That gives me Friday afternoon/evening to fuel up for a 4:00 AM start Saturday. That's a challenge.

The procedure is preventative; my first colonoscopy so I don't really know what to expect as far as recovery.

What say you guys, ride or no ride?
Old 04-14-12, 09:21 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
If you receive straight propofol as the anesthetic you should be fine. There's minimal hangover effect from it. After the colonoscopy, when you're up to it, you'll need to take in lots of liquids and nutrition for the next day. Most people don't have much trouble with that.

This is for information only and does not constitute specific medical advice. Always consult your personal physician.

Old 04-14-12, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 3370 Post(s)
Liked 5,488 Times in 2,843 Posts
Here is what I did: I was already making my own maltodextrin/fructose mix so I had bulk maltodextrin on hand. In reading over the instructions they provided, and going online, it became obvious the issue for not eating is the presence of solids and colored liquids that would obstruct their optics. Well, maltodextrin mixed in water is a colorless, flavorless liquid, and it is difficult to distinguish from plain water. So I worked out how much I needed over 24 hrs to get 2000 calories, and consumed that.

My colonoscopy was performed with no issues, and I did not need to suffer starvation for a day.
Old 04-15-12, 06:36 AM
Senior Moment

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 4.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
shim.... now why doesn't the med community give that as an alternative? hell you could just do maltodextrin for a couple days and no one would be the wiser. brilliant! next time...
Old 04-15-12, 07:00 AM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
It is a common procedure during the colonoscopy to give the patient an I.V. solution with dextrose and water with electrolytes. Check with your gastroenterology physician or just call them and the nurse will tell you what you're getting.

No need to over think this.
Old 04-15-12, 07:05 AM

Bikes: Schlitter Encore, RANS Seavo tandem, Fisher HKEK, Spec. Roubaix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The 400k is not worth the potential risk top your health. Especially of they removepolyps. Yes I have had 2 scopings, and had pre-C polyps removed.
Old 04-15-12, 07:08 AM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Medical advice on the internet is dubious.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 04-15-12, 08:18 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
I had a colonoscoy done in December and had moderate to severe abdominal cramps for five days after plus some bleeding the day after because of polyp removal. My MD said I had a prticularly "tortuous" colon. lots of twists and turn, so he really had to work hard to get the apparatus through. My wife had a colonoscopy two years ago and we were hiking into the Grand Canyon two days later with no difficulty. There is no way to tell what the aftereffects might be till the doc gets in there.
Old 04-15-12, 08:51 AM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
I enjoyed a ten mile ride six hours after my colonoscopy a year and half ago. Not real good at metric/mile conversions but that is a good bit less than 400km.

If they do anything other than just look around, there could be increased bleeding risk with intense activity.

Guessing that the gastroenterologist would give you conservative advice concerning your planned physical activity in the 24-48 hour period post-scoping.
Old 04-15-12, 09:00 AM

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vic303
The 400k is not worth the potential risk top your health. Especially of they removepolyps. Yes I have had 2 scopings, and had pre-C polyps removed.
My story: Spent the night in the hospital after a polyp removal actually made a very small perforation in my intestine. Not fun. So I am gun shy - I would wait a day or two before doing anything too crazy (like riding a Brevet) just to be sure. Most likely, you'd have no problem the day after. Most likely.
Old 04-15-12, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
Essentially I can't eat anything after breakfast Thursday, until after the procedure Friday morning. That gives me Friday afternoon/evening to fuel up for a 4:00 AM start Saturday. That's a challenge.
You shouldn't have any problem staying fueled. You just have to do it with clear liquids: apple juice, gatoade, jello etc. I consumed 2,400 liquid calories the day before and felt fine the day of and day after my colonscopy.
Old 04-15-12, 02:59 PM

Bikes: Canyon Roadlite AL

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
I will not give medical advice on the Internet. Not only am I not a doctor; I've never even stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.

I only stopped here to say that, if you still do the brevet, nobody in their right mind will ever have the right to tell you to "harden up" again.
Old 04-15-12, 03:17 PM
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
The bottom line is, see how you feel, the overwhelming chances are that you will be good to go. Good luck. If you can't postpone the procedure (you could call in sick) then you will just have to take your chances.
Old 04-15-12, 04:49 PM

Bikes: 2013 Raleigh Clubman, 2010 Schwinn LeTour, 2012 Raleigh Sojourn, 2011 Schwinn Voyaguer 7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pardon the intrusion of a 40+ into this sub-forum. I wouldn't dare to tell you what to do but I can tell you what happened to my step-father.

My step-father, a super strong 60+ year old, had a colonoscopy on the advice of his sister who was worried about him for no other reason than she had the procedure. The doctor performing the colonoscopy nicked my step-father's intestine which allow for a septic infection. Complications from the infection lead to my step-father's passing within a week of the procedure.

The only symptoms my step-father had were weakness and a fever following the procedure. Personally, I wouldn't want to do anything that would cover any symptoms following any type of medical procedure.

As a randonneur wannabe myself, I can sympathize with the difficulty in setting up a 400km. I'd see if the medical procedure could be postponed unless there were strong indicators pointing to the fact that the procedure was time critical. Besides, I can't imagine a saddle being comfortable for any length of time afterwards but I haven't had the procedure done myself so I'll not speculate any further.

Best wishes and please let us know if you do the 400km that you are doing fine afterwards.
Old 04-16-12, 09:24 AM

Bikes: Trek Madone 6.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I had a colonoscopy done on Friday morning and was suppose to do a 54 mile group ride Saturday morning. I felt pretty good, but not good enough to go on that ride. I was afraid I would run out of energy half way through and as the day went by, I did start to not feel up to par. In retrospect, was glad I didn't go and was very disappointed I felt the way I did. Everyone is different, so see how you feel and decide at that point.
Old 04-16-12, 11:57 AM
Harry helps.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reschedule the colonoscopy.
Old 04-16-12, 12:05 PM

Bikes: Trek Madone 6.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vtc12ip
Reschedule the colonoscopy.
That is what I should have done!!
Old 04-16-12, 12:44 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I reckon that if you are mad enough to do a 400k Brevett- Then a little thing like a colonoscopy will not be noticed

Reschedule seems the best suggestion as Chances of a 400k do not come up every week.

Spike Milligan
Old 04-16-12, 12:46 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
100k a day or 2 after the colonoscopy is not bad. 300 or 400k, might be too much. There could still be sensitivity from the prep and procedure.
Old 04-16-12, 02:06 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Shoot, you can drink all the Gatorade you want...as long as it isn't red. I'd say it depends on what they do while they are in there......and who know what that is . It's all a bunch of crap...
Old 04-16-12, 02:38 PM

Bikes: Trek Navigator 200

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I am also not a doctor. I had my first routine colonscopy last month at the age of 51. The GI doc found a large (benign, yay!) polyp which he was not able to remove entirely. I was advised not to exercise for a few days afterwards. I think whether you'll be able to do the brevet the next day depends largely on what the dr. finds when s/he gets in there and whether they have to remove any polyps and you won't know until it's over whether you'll be able to ride. Personally, after my experience, I'd put off the brevet rather than the colonoscopy. A routine colonoscopy (and the surgery two weeks later to completely remove the polyp they found) saved me from colon cancer. They got to it just before it turned to cancer.
Old 04-16-12, 04:57 PM

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by downtube42
I wouldn't.

Fasting (and yes, you must) will sap you - and even though it's a very light anasthetic, I can't imagine that you'll be unaffected...
Old 04-16-12, 05:07 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DGlenday
I wouldn't.

Fasting (and yes, you must) will sap you - and even though it's a very light anasthetic, I can't imagine that you'll be unaffected...
I agree. It will take more than the rest of the day to recover fully from that. Personally I would want at least a week after a colonoscopy before I would ride a 200, 300, or 400k brevet.
Old 04-16-12, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by DGlenday
No need to fast unless you want to feel like crap (no pun intended). Just don't eat anything solid or colorful.
Old 04-16-12, 06:37 PM

Bikes: Serotta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a colonoscopy last month and did a heavy cardio workout the next day, expecting I'd be fine. I work out every day. The workout felt like my legs were moving in jello.
The prep---time without food, time with only clear liquids, and time with nothing had drained my tank more than I realized.

Just my experience.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.