Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

N-2?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-12, 07:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
N-2?

Recently I posted about getting my wife a bike. Even got her a very nice outfit to ride with that is good-looking. Nice skorts and a tasteful, feminine jersey that she picked out and loved. That was about 2-2.5 weeks ago. She has ridden it a grand total of ......................once............. for 2 miles. I came home last night and asked her and my daughter if they wanted to ride. Perfect evening. 73 degrees. "Oh, I'm going to get up in the morning and ride at 7am, will you ride with me then?" This morning, both are still asleep at 7:15 am(too late to ride for me).
I've bought my wife 3 bikes over the years. I think combined those three bikes MIGHT have 30 miles on them. We have a PERFECT neighborhood to ride in. No hills. Slow, courteous traffic. Little traffic overall.
I've asked her to call the neighbor down the street that sometimes rides and get together with her for some slow-paced rides they'd both enjoy. I've even gone so far as to make a Facebook post to get a group together to ride with her and got a few responses and she does not talk to any of them about getting together(all three are people she likes and would ride at her pace). When I ride with her I take it very easy and don't say anything negative, always positive. I even ride my mountain bike so I can't ride fast.
I'm sick and tired of the crap. They'd rather sit and watch recorded TV shows on the DVR than do anything. What would you do?
I know you are saying, "it's only been a couple weeks". Well, it's really been................ 24 years of the same crap.

Last edited by bigbadwullf; 04-19-12 at 07:46 AM.
Old 04-19-12, 07:38 AM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Get a tandem?

You are probably annoyed with the "Oh, I'm going to get up in the morning and ride at 7am, will you ride with me then?"

Classic avoidance, FWIW.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 04-19-12, 07:53 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My oldest daughter loves to ride. She wants her bike at college although it would be tough to do. The youngest will ride but only if it's under her criteria. An event others will see her ride or when the eldest comes back home(sibling rivalry). Other than that it's "oh I have this to do", "Oh it's church night", "Oh i want to watch the last episode of 'one tree hill' ". "Oh ...............".
I am just so tired of it all.
If they don't come around in another couple weeks I'm gonna sell both of their bikes.
Old 04-19-12, 08:07 AM

Bikes: Kvale, Peugeot, Cervelo, Bridgestone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are many things my wife and I do together. Cycling is not one of them and it doesn't matter to either of us.
Old 04-19-12, 08:07 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Part of the problem may be me. I am extremely athletic. I am good at nearly every thing I try. Baseball: starting pitcher/ best relief pitcher in college. golf: 5 handicap, skiing: can out ski 95% of everyone on the slopes even at my age. Softball: I play with guys half my age. Dirt bikes: was top-5 in my racing classes.
But when I'm with them I don't "show out". I try to do everything in a manner it doesn't show them up or discourage them but I think THEY THINK they are horrible at things they try, although they can ski pretty well and enjoy it when we go. How do you motivate the unmotiveatable? I'm at the point of giving up on them altogether and maybe that is the best thing to do. Go do what I want to do and let them figure out they are missing out.
Thanks for the chance to rant.
Old 04-19-12, 08:09 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jmccain
There are many things my wife and I do together. Cycling is not one of them and it doesn't matter to either of us.
And that is fine. I don't want her to do anything she doesn't want to do but why would she want me to buy her 3 bikes and never ride them? That is just plain, excuse me.......stupid.
Old 04-19-12, 08:25 AM
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by jmccain
This. I've accepted that we share plenty of other interests.

I bought my wife a nice bike 10 years ago. She might have 100 miles on it by now, but no more. We ride together maybe once a year for a mile or two. She'll occasionally ride over to the park with my son. The good news is she loves her bike and hasn't shown any desire to get a different one, so I haven't had to worry about replacing it.
Old 04-19-12, 08:48 AM
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Wulf, it sounds like you have my family! I'm in the same postion with my wife. Her preference seems to be sitting in front of the tv, watching other people's exciting lives, real or fictional. We bought a recumbent for her 11 years ago, thinking it would be better for her back. She is not a fast or strong rider and fell over several times when she lost momentum on hills. The bent now scares her. I recently modified her 80's Miyata road bike with upright bars and a cushy sprung saddle. She's gone out with me for about 2 1/2 miles in the neighborhood a total of 3 times now, with 3-4 week gaps between those rides. She says she wants to ride with me, but it feels (to me) like she doesn't want to try until she is stronger and faster (as messed up as that logic sounds). I just bought a tandem and she seems excited about that as it will keep us together even with the huge difference in our ability. We'll see what actually happens.

One of my daughters loves riding with me, though, and will be home from college for the summer soon.
Old 04-19-12, 09:03 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah. That's it exactly. I mean if you want to do nothing, just say so and be done with it. Why waste the money? Why waste my time and effort? Why pretend?
Old 04-19-12, 09:05 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbadwullf
Yeah. That's it exactly. I mean if you want to do nothing, just say so and be done with it. Why waste the money? Why waste my time and effort? Why pretend?
Perhaps she is trying to walk the thin line between pleasing you and doing something she does not enjoy?
Old 04-19-12, 09:11 AM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Take her bowling.

Old 04-19-12, 09:16 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, this just in. I get a text from her that states:
"Please don't give up on me. I want to ride my bike. Thanks for encouraging me. Please don't stop."
Well dear, the ball is in your court. Hit it or let it go on by.
Old 04-19-12, 09:16 AM

Bikes: all diamond frames

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Perhaps she is trying to walk the thin line between pleasing you and doing something she does not enjoy?
+1
Old 04-19-12, 09:19 AM

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
I don't understand the motivation in buying a second or third bike when she didn't ride the first one more than 30 miles. It seems pretty clear she didn't want to ride.
Old 04-19-12, 09:28 AM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I had a wife like that once! Thankfully she divorced me 17 years ago and I married a woman I met in the local bike club. Huge difference! My whole life is much happier, I live in a better place and lead a better life overall. It's wonderful, really.

My present wife rides to work, she does club rides and occasionally rides a double century with me (she'd ridden 23 doubles). We go on cycling vacations and generally live a very cycling-centric life. True, I wish I hadn't made that first mistake, but I've been very happy with my 2nd wife choice. My advice to my younger self would have been: Marry a cyclist!

Rick / OCRR
Old 04-19-12, 10:02 AM

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbadwullf
Part of the problem may be me. I am extremely athletic. I am good at nearly every thing I try. Baseball: starting pitcher/ best relief pitcher in college. golf: 5 handicap, skiing: can out ski 95% of everyone on the slopes even at my age. Softball: I play with guys half my age. Dirt bikes: was top-5 in my racing classes....I try to do everything in a manner it doesn't show them up or discourage them...I'm at the point of giving up on them altogether and maybe that is the best thing to do.
Perhaps they are intimidated by your near-perfection in a way you are not seeing.

Last edited by CACycling; 04-19-12 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-19-12, 10:10 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by miss kenton
I don't understand the motivation in buying a second or third bike when she didn't ride the first one more than 30 miles. It seems pretty clear she didn't want to ride.
It wasn't MY idea. It was her's. That's the idea. That is my frustration.
Old 04-19-12, 10:14 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CACycling
Perhaps they are intimidated by your near-perfection in a way you are not seeing.
That is why I put that in there. TO put a light on me. Believe me I can see your point. I could easily just have left that out and not brought attention to myself but I think that is some of the problem. I don't think "I'm all that". Trust me. You have to know me. I am very understated when it comes to that stuff(in person). Except for posting it here and I knew there would be a backlash for doing it but... I think it has some bearing on the subject.

Last edited by bigbadwullf; 04-19-12 at 10:21 AM.
Old 04-19-12, 10:14 AM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Join a bike club that has many women riders.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Rollin Grandma.jpg (98.7 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg
Single rider.jpg (93.3 KB, 29 views)

Old 04-19-12, 10:23 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
She won't do that. That is her personality. She feels like she can't and then doesn't and then wonders why she can't.
Old 04-19-12, 10:46 AM

Bikes: 2005 Bianchi Volpe, 1985 Bianchi Brava, 1984 Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It sounds wasteful, but have you considered throwing the bikes in the back of the car and driving to a new place to cycle? I don't like to do that, but it does get my wife on the saddle sometimes. Once she's pedaling, she's quite happy... it's the inertia that is hard to overcome.
Old 04-19-12, 11:26 AM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
BBW,

In a way, I feel your pain because my wife went from riding with me all the time to barely riding at all. She bought her recumbent tadpole trike with her money so I don't feel so bad about it just sitting in the shed collecting cobwebs. After she bought her bike, we would go riding every night in the neighborhood and then on the weekends she would come out and ride with me at the MUP. Unless I was getting ready to do a long charity ride, I would take the hybrid and ride with her at her pace; I never made it a competition. After we collided with each other, last November, I can barely get her on the bike and there's always an excuse, even though I was the only one injured. Maybe she is afraid that it might happen again; I don't know. Regardless, it got us out together and time spent together was very enjoyable.

We have always talked about biking around Florida and the US when she retires in June. But now, I'm wondering if that is going to happen. She still talks about getting a new van so we can haul the bikes around, so maybe there is hope. I don't want to push her into doing something she doesn't want to do and would really like to see her pick it back up again when she retires. In the meantime, I'm letting her decide if she wants to ride with me or not. There are too many other things that we can do together, besides cycling, that makes up for it.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 04-19-12, 11:31 AM

Bikes: Bacchetta CA2.0

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
After 24 years this is an issue?

"God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference."
Old 04-19-12, 12:10 PM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use to like to hunt and fish... Wife didn't like it, so I would go without her. I got tired of being without her, so I started looking to find a hobby we could both enjoy... I remembered we used to ride bikes together when we were in high-school, nothing serious; just a way to get away from everything so we could be alone. So; cycling seemed like a good idea. I bought a bike; bought her a bike, and she likes it. Sometimes it takes a little coercing to get her to ride, but once the endorphins kick in she turns into a road warrior!
My advice to you BBW, is I think your not trying hard enough to get her to go ride with you. Bribe her, cook her breakfast, whatever it takes, get her ass in the saddle! You'll be glad you did! ( my 2 cents )
Old 04-19-12, 01:20 PM
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's remarkable how many men (sorry to be sexist, but in my experience it is usually men) try to turn their spouse/girlfriend into a female version of themselves. They like cycling, they try to push her into liking it too. They like golf, they buy her some lessons she doesn't want.

Maybe the only reason she says she wants to ride her bike is that she is trying to please you. It certainly sounds as if you might be forceful enough to elicit that response. I suggest you back off, leave the bikes where they are and enjoy the fact that you and she have different and separate interests. God knows it would be terrible to have to do everything together...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.