Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Is it needed?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Is it needed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-12, 01:53 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Is it needed?

I have 3 road bikes- Giant TCR C-Boreas Ignis-Pinarrelo Uno FP- 2 mountain bikes in a Bianchi Grizzly and a Kona Explosif and The offroad Tandem in a "Dale" Mt2000 that is fully set up for offroad. Enough bikes to keep me going under all conditions and all get used. I also have a couple of bikes not used in a Dawes Galaxy that needs a lot of restoration to get ridable and a Giant Trance 3 that i don't ride as I don't like full suspension and it is heavy.

So what have I just done? ? ? ?

I've bought another bike.

The one I am lacking is something for local shopping. Something that will take a rack- not be too upsetting if it goes walkies and be reasonable to ride if I want to go a bit further. Well one turned up a few weeks ago for me to repair. A mongoose upright "Hybrid" with an Alfine 8 speed Hub. When it arrived it was filthy and needed a new chain. Problem is that there was so many parts required to bring it up to ridable condition and it looked as though the hub needed work. It definitely needed a new chain so all I did was fit an old one I had and adjusted a few things and sent it back to the owner. I also told the owner that the work was FOC but told him to get rid of it. Bit of investigation and the hub would be ok after some work on it and not much money but the bike was not worth keeping if he wanted a reliable bike for his commute. The bike was basically sound but did need stripping to get rid of 2 years of road "Gunge" on it and when i say stripping- I mean stripping. It was covered on dried on grease and dirt that will not come off with just a bit of detergent and wiping.

The owner agreed that the bike is not worth putting effort into- or money so i have just bought it from him for £50--about $80 Yesterday I started scraping off the gunge and surprise- surprise- The Gears still work- brakes need new pads but work well- and whats more- it it fits and is comfortable. Rode it down the town- only a couple of miles and I went for it. Pics are after I cleaned it up a bit and as I say- it needs a complete strip down and clean.

Hope I have done the right thing----What do you think?

Spike Milligan
Old 04-29-12, 02:14 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Nice con job.

So long as the cables work for the brakes and gears, and the hub, BB and headset bearings have no slack in them, just ride it already. That gunge is probably the best protective coating you can get, too.
Old 04-29-12, 05:16 AM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Looks like a good find. I think I would set up the hybrid to do some shopping and other errands if I didn't live in the middle of nowhere and the one road to get to anyplace wasn't so dangerous to ride on. The nearest area to shop is about six miles in either direction but you really take your life in your hands by riding the road to get there. As much as I hate to say it, it's much safer going in my truck.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 04-29-12, 01:20 PM
Time for a change.

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
These are Hydraulic discs And front feels perfect-Rear is a bit spongy so bleeding will be first thing. Bike is cleaning up well but the worry is where that Oil came from. Rear end of the bike looked as though it had been "Rust" dipped so I will presume it has lost all lubrication within the hub. Feels OK so Might be lucky to have no broken or badly worn parts. I paid a price for a bike in poor condition needing a lot of work to be done on it----Of which my labour is free and I am hoping that no major parts have to be bought.

But as I said- rides well.

Spike Milligan
Old 04-29-12, 01:27 PM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
The ideal winter bike, just add Continental Top Contact Winter II tires & mudguards.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 04-30-12 at 05:59 AM.
Old 04-29-12, 04:30 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Cheap as chips, so how could you have done the wrong thing? But if I were you I'd spend a few hours, and a few quid, on the Galaxy. Brilliant all-purpose bike.
Old 04-29-12, 10:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You retired guys sure do have a lot of fun!

Congrats. on your N+1 !!!
Old 04-30-12, 12:43 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Is that a carbon fork?
Old 04-30-12, 02:40 AM
Time for a change.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
No- it is alloy but been trying to find out more about the bike. It looks like a 2008/9- aluminium frame and all searches come up with the modern version that has C.F.Fork and retails at around $1100. I know this is not my type of bike but at that price there are better bikes around. Chain tension is by way of a concentric Bottom bearing holder- Similar to the one on my MT tandem but not as well engineered.

Keep going back to the bike to look at and tinker and the more I look- the more jobs I find to do on it. Think I'll stop looking and just take it for a ride.

Spike Milligan
Old 04-30-12, 05:57 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Nice score Stapfam, hope you enjoy the N+1 even if it was unexpected. Your good deeds came back to you with this one.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13