Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Leap of Faith (50+ life stuff)

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-12, 07:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I've been researching this for several years in anticipation for this opportunity. The girls are all through college (mostly) and the wife is healthy (well...stable anyway), so now it's dads turn.

I've been suffering/putting up with terrible teeth for years now. My unreasonable but very real terror of dentists combined with a string of unsatifactory dental visits that included Conscious Sedation and did nothing but reinforce my fears had left me in a sad, sad mess. A few years ago I started researching Hybridge dental implants and decided that this was the route for me.

After a couple of postponements due to family member health issues, I finally got my opportunity. My wife is healthy enough and now has the confidence to drive me accross the city , so I made an appointment.

Yesterday I had all my upper teeth removed (well, what was left of them anyway) while under conscious sedation. That was the easy part, and it included repairing a punctured sinus cavity!! My molar had rooted right into the sinus. Now I'm trying to learn how to live with my temperary denture. That's the hard part. I'll be using the temporary for four months or so until the bone grafts that were also put in during yesterday's surgery are strong enough for the implants and then for the dental hybridge.

So rather than preparing for my "Birthday Century" I'm trying to learn how to talk without gagging, trying to learn how to eat, and somehow I need to go back to work. Many people have taken these steps before me and I know it isn't life-threatening and I'll get through it.

On the plus side...Once I've gotten through this I'm finally going to like myself a bit more.

On the negative side...I suspect I'll be taking a couple weeks off the bikes. I don't know if that means I'll gravitate more to the computer and cyber-friends or if I'll just busy myself doing odd jobs around the house. For now I'm just hanging out on the couch a lot and waiting for the post operative swelling to go away.

On the lighter side, at my 24hr. post surgical check-up today I asked the dental assistant if she had seen the inside of my sinus. She did. So I just had to ask her "Was it dark in there?"

It was.
Old 04-25-12, 08:02 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
I guess this means you will be postponing the purchase of a titanium recumbent bike for a while.
I'll continue to not complain about the multiple crowns (including one with a root canal) I've gradually acquired over the last few years. All done.

You may be a candidate for temporary use of liquid nourishment. I recommend chocolate malts! Or stout!
Old 04-25-12, 08:15 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3370 Post(s)
Liked 5,491 Times in 2,844 Posts
Interesting. I hadn't heard of these before.

A couple years ago I lost a tooth to a rare condition called "external resorption". After examining the options, I went with a titanium implant. The worst part was having to go 6 months from extraction until the implant was put in, then another 3 months until the crown could be fitted. All the waiting was for the bone to grow in. Thank goodness it was not a front tooth!
Old 04-25-12, 08:23 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cranky,
Here's hoping you can at least enjoy some pie from time to time. Keep the pedals spinning when you can.
Old 04-25-12, 08:29 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best of luck! While you're off the bike, you could be polishing up some lectures for students at Fred University, to keep yourself busy.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 04-25-12, 09:46 PM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good luck Cranky! Hope your up and atom soon!
Old 04-26-12, 06:29 PM

Bikes: A slate grey mountain bike & a grey road bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When your dental work is all done, you'll look like this -->
Old 04-26-12, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
In the not too distant past, everyone expected to keep their teeth in a glass overnight by the time they reached our age. Nowadays, we are expected to die with them in our mouths.
Hope your procedures go well, and you get your nice shiny set of choppers.
Old 04-26-12, 07:53 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Recover well.
Old 04-26-12, 08:16 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I have three implants and they work well.

Fortunately, I have kept my dental insurance upon retirement, and we wipe out the benefit each year. We are a real money loser(s) for the dental insurance company.

Good luck with your grafts, implants and bridges.

Ouch!!
Old 04-26-12, 08:38 PM

Bikes: Kvale, Peugeot, Cervelo, Bridgestone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
You may be a candidate for temporary use of liquid nourishment. I recommend...Or stout!
I know you're kidding, but the use of alcohol will delay the healing and may compromise the surgical site.
Old 04-26-12, 09:02 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by jmccain
I know you're kidding, but the use of alcohol will delay the healing and may compromise the surgical site.
Well, then, perhaps a modest bit of Kahlua diluted in a tall glass of nourishing milk? Followed by a swish of saline mouth rinse.
Old 04-27-12, 02:46 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jmccain
Easy way out--Don't let it touch the sides as you swig it.

Spike Milligan
Old 04-27-12, 05:54 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Hope the pain is subsided by now Lenny. Congrats on the big life quality decision, you will appreciate this one.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 04-27-12, 07:43 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Progress report: 72 hrs. post surgery.

I can mostly tolerate the denture at rest but my mouth still feels full. If I start to get a reflex gag reaction, I concentrate on breathing deeply through my nose and it calms down. As long as I keep my mouth well lubricated I can talk a fair bit. I use Gatorade or water. Yesterday I was able to eat applesauce. This morning it was soft cereal (Puffed Rice) in milk. This morning I actually removed and replaced the denture, which is ground breaking for a guy with a touchy gag reflex such as mine....though it sure wasn't very graceful.

Yesterday the wife and I enjoyed a walk in a local park and today we're going to do a bit of grocery shopping so I'm getting out and about a bit.

Oh yeah, I've also lost five pounds since Tuesday morning. At this rate by the time I get my Hybridge installed I'll be as skinny as I was when we got married!!
Old 04-27-12, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Just like going up a big hill, keep turning the cranks over, slow and steady.
Can you get on a trainer for a bit? Not the same as riding in the open air, but it keeps you moving.

Ask you dentist if you can have your new teeth made of carbon fiber. Tell them you want to save weight so you can talk faster.

Good Luck.
Old 04-27-12, 12:22 PM
Still spinnin'.....

Bikes: Fisher Opie freeride/urban assault MTB, Redline Monocog 29er MTB, Serrota T-Max Commuter, Klein Rascal SS, Salsa Campion Road bike, Pake Rum Runner FG/SS Road bike, Cannondale Synapse Road bike, Santana Arriva Road Tandem, and others....

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cranky old dude
Progress report: 72 hrs. post surgery.....
Thanks for sharing! I know that most of the people on both sides of my family have ended up getting dentures or major dental work beginning sometime in their thirties, so I have religiously brushed two to three times a day and use a waterpick daily since I was 25 years old. At 55 however, genetics and an overly active lifestyle have left me with more broken and damaged teeth than unbroken ones, so this is something that I have been putting off myself. I think I will have to look into this within the next few months as well. Thanks again for your take on the process.
Old 04-27-12, 01:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad you're feeling better. DH had all his teeth yanked in his 20's - they were terrible and he says it's the best thing he ever did. One thing you might not have thought of is be sure to keep those dentures out of reach of any dogs if you have them - with all the food and *you* smells on them, dentures are a popular chew toy :-0
Old 04-27-12, 04:28 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lenny,

So glad to hear you are making progress. You will get through this and you quality of life will improve. Dental pain is the worse.
Old 04-28-12, 04:20 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by cranky old dude
I've been researching this for several years in anticipation for this opportunity. The girls are all through college (mostly) and the wife is healthy (well...stable anyway), so now it's dads turn.

I've been suffering/putting up with terrible teeth for years now. My unreasonable but very real terror of dentists combined with a string of unsatifactory dental visits that included Conscious Sedation and did nothing but reinforce my fears had left me in a sad, sad mess. A few years ago I started researching Hybridge dental implants and decided that this was the route for me.

After a couple of postponements due to family member health issues, I finally got my opportunity. My wife is healthy enough and now has the confidence to drive me accross the city , so I made an appointment.

Yesterday I had all my upper teeth removed (well, what was left of them anyway) while under conscious sedation. That was the easy part, and it included repairing a punctured sinus cavity!! My molar had rooted right into the sinus. Now I'm trying to learn how to live with my temperary denture. That's the hard part. I'll be using the temporary for four months or so until the bone grafts that were also put in during yesterday's surgery are strong enough for the implants and then for the dental hybridge.

So rather than preparing for my "Birthday Century" I'm trying to learn how to talk without gagging, trying to learn how to eat, and somehow I need to go back to work. Many people have taken these steps before me and I know it isn't life-threatening and I'll get through it.

On the plus side...Once I've gotten through this I'm finally going to like myself a bit more.

On the negative side...I suspect I'll be taking a couple weeks off the bikes. I don't know if that means I'll gravitate more to the computer and cyber-friends or if I'll just busy myself doing odd jobs around the house. For now I'm just hanging out on the couch a lot and waiting for the post operative swelling to go away.

On the lighter side, at my 24hr. post surgical check-up today I asked the dental assistant if she had seen the inside of my sinus. She did. So I just had to ask her "Was it dark in there?"

It was.
What a step! Keep going!
Old 05-03-12, 05:16 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lenny,
How you feeling - are you getting used to the new choppers?
Old 05-03-12, 08:34 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclinfool
Lenny,
How you feeling - are you getting used to the new choppers?
Hey old friend, thanks for asking.

I'm going through a bit of a rough patch. By Sunday evening I had actually began eating grown-up food and even had brownies for desert! However, when I awoke on Monday morning I had developed a fistula into my right maxillary sinus and it's making things somewhat difficult.

The good news...It's not an infection or tear. It's a sewn together fold of tissue that started leaking by once the swelling subsided. I can actually hear the air rushing in when the denture is not in my mouth. It's small and the dentist believes it will heal on its own though if it doesn't, he'll close it during the implant surgery nine weeks from now.

The bad news...Every time I lower my jaw air gets drawn in through the opening. The fistula is located under the denture. After opening and closing the jaw about three times, enough air gets collected to pop that sucker right off the roof of my mouth. Yep, eating is pretty much a memory until either the fistula heals or my gums heal enough to crush food with.

I have lost over twelve pounds. Not a lot of fun but a very effective weight loss method. I'm basking in the sweet glow of success on that count.

I'm considering a Mashed Potatoes and Ice Cream diet, my two favorite foods!!
Old 05-03-12, 09:30 PM

Bikes: Schwinn Roxie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my dentures! I had crooked over lapped, buck teeth all my life. Constant trips to the dentists, 4 cleanings a year, flossing and brushing religiously, and still the gum infections were devouring my jaw bones. I finally said "Yank those _______ out and give me choppers" One of the best decisions I ever made and I actually save money by going to the dentist ONLY twice a year to clean the 6 remaining teeth on the bottom. (Full bottom dentures are a pain to keep in)
I can eat POPCORN! No more infections, foul mouth odor, and especially NO pain. As an added bonus, I have nice white teeth, and a movie star smile. No more covering my face when I laugh.
I wish you a pleasant experience. Salt water rinses for now should make those sore spots feel better. Sometimes just taking the denture out for a few minutes during the day will give your mouth a "rest" from having a hunk of plastic in it all day.
I could not use implants...not enough bone to support the pins, and I have allergic reactions to metal.
You'll like the result after this hurdle is over.
Old 05-03-12, 09:34 PM
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Looking forward to the pictures and your new smiling face. Sounds like cream and pudding pies are in order!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 05-03-12, 09:56 PM
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
My wife has the implants that hold the dentures and is very happy with them. She has had them for about 6 or so years now and no problems yet. However she had plenty of issues with the dentures before getting the implants. Good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.