Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Speedplay Light Action Pedals

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-12, 10:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just purchased & used for the 1st time today. Having trouble clicking in on the side I use to click in n' out. No problem clicking out just in. Okay to get in on the other side. Maybe I'll have to change the cleat position?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-08-12, 10:34 PM

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by bcd2010
Just purchased & used for the 1st time today. Having trouble clicking in on the side I use to click in n' out. No problem clicking out just in. Okay to get in on the other side. Maybe I'll have to change the cleat position?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Spray furnature polish on the cleat. But new speed plays take a bit to get used to. But even without the furnature polish trick they will be fine in a week. I know it sounds stupid but it works.
Old 05-09-12, 03:47 AM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I know on the older speedplays they recommend using only white lightening lubricant on the pedal to help entry.
I always do this after I clean the bike.
Old 05-09-12, 05:34 AM

Bikes: 2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use teflon lube on my Zeros
Old 05-09-12, 06:04 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I bought some Light Action pedals in March.
I agree it is slightly difficult to get clipped in. It will get easier as the metal spring in the cleat gets the sharp edge worn down a little.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 05-09-12, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Make sure you have the screws that hold the cleats to the shoe tightened correctly. If they are over-tightened, even a little, it makes it harder to get the cleat engaged.
Old 05-09-12, 06:15 AM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Its possible that clipping in is about the way you angle your foot when pressing down. Try practicing this move when not riding but just at home at a stationery position. I first search for the position with my foot without pressing down, then I would press down to feel the click. If I press down and it doesn't click easily, then I know that I need to re-position the foot. I have found that its the inside of the foot that needed the attention.

The other thing is the lube and the tightness of the set screws. At Home Depot they have this non petroleum spray that's silicone. Its where the garage door sprays are located. Use that. The other thing is the set screws. Just un-tightening them just a little bit makes a big difference.

For daily maintenance, I hardly use the silicone spray. I remove the dirt and grime accumulation on those cleats by using the park tools type brush used to clean the rear cassette. If I do that after every ride, it's a proactive way to prevent build-up.
Old 05-09-12, 02:49 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for your reply. Just not sure about "tightened correctly". Maybe I'll just take them to my LBS & have someone check it out.
Old 05-09-12, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bcd2010
Thank you for your reply. Just not sure about "tightened correctly". Maybe I'll just take them to my LBS & have someone check it out.
People tend to over tighten the mounting screws. The literature that should have come with the pedals should explain the correct method.
Old 05-09-12, 08:05 PM
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
When people overtighten the screws on the cleats without benefit of proper shims it can introduce a little bit of curvature to the cleat that was never intended, making it hard to engage the pedal. I've actually had it happen on early generation Looks, too.
Old 05-10-12, 06:37 PM
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I use silicone spray on my cleats and have for years. I think any kind of lube works OK, the idea of course is not to attract dirt that an oil would. There is a break in period with new cleats.
Old 05-10-12, 07:48 PM

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil85207
I use silicone spray on my cleats and have for years. I think any kind of lube works OK, the idea of course is not to attract dirt that an oil would. There is a break in period with new cleats.
I like that idea best, but in the past I've used Tri-flow, Finish Line Dry, Finish Line Wet, and Pro-link Gold. And I know one woman who uses Pam cooking spray.