Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Has cycling tempted you to start running?

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Has cycling tempted you to start running?

Old 05-09-12, 01:36 PM
teachme

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by toddtone View Post
I love running and cycling. teachme, running does utilize a totally (almost) different set of muscles and you will be sore in different places than when you cycle. One of the biggest causes for running discomfort is inappopriate footwear. If you haven't done so already, you should go to a running shoe store - not big box store, but a specialized runners store - and get fitted for your shoes much like you would be fitted for a bike. It will cost nothing. They will analyze your gait and ask you a lot of questions. Take a pair of shoes that you have used for some time along with you. They could be athletic shoes, but don't need to be. That will help them understand your gait and foot-strike even more.

You will be surprised what the correct shoes will do for your facility to run. Yes, inappropriate shoes do cause knee pain, back pain, foot pain of many varieties that just may go away with the correct shoes. Be prepared to spend a hundred bucks or more on the correct shoes. It will be worth every penny and may very well be the difference in whether you choose to run for the long term or not.

I find cross training to be beneficial to my cycling, and it also serves to keep me interested in staying fit overall. And during the worst of weather, I can always run on a treadmill as well as ride the trainer. BTW, running on a treadmill is far lower impact than running outside, and will result in a bit less soreness overall.

I encourage you to give it a shot.
Thanks for the encouragement! Visiting a shoe store is definitely on the list.
Old 05-09-12, 01:39 PM
teachme

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbadwullf View Post
No. Make that HELL NO! I ride because I don't want to run. Never did like running. Plus it's hard on the knees. I want them around for a long time.
OK, I like to run. when I played basketball we had to run a sub 6 minute mile, just to be able to try out for the team. I don't think I'll ever hit that mark again but 15 minute mile is doable. It is hard on the knees, I agree with you on that.
Old 05-09-12, 01:41 PM
teachme

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton View Post
I have been tempted since a 5K charity run a few years ago, but so far I've managed to resist the temptation. It wasn't that the run was enjoyable, but because I hadn't run at all for about 30 years my time was so bad that it's hard to just leave it at that.
I know the feeling...
Old 05-09-12, 01:44 PM
teachme

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
Almost any well thought out cross-training program will kick you metabolism into gear again. Your last sentence hits the nail on the head as to why running isn't part of my cross training.
Yes,
I thought about joining a gym with a swimming pool, but time constraints prevent that. I teach full time and own a driver's ed school part time keeps me busy from can to can't...
Old 05-09-12, 01:46 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts
Running is a wonderful activity that I've not been able to do for many years because it screws up and exacerbates a bad back. This is especially true if running on pavement.

About 10 years ago I played quite a bit of tennis when I lived in the South where clay courts are common. If I played on hard courts more than once a week, my knees would complain. In fact, it is interesting that even young and very fit elite tennis players are having knee problems due to so many events occurring on hard courts there days.

Running is great if you stay on dirt trails and pay attention to stride.
Old 05-09-12, 01:52 PM
teachme

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by berner View Post
Running is a wonderful activity that I've not been able to do for many years because it screws up and exacerbates a bad back. This is especially true if running on pavement.

About 10 years ago I played quite a bit of tennis when I lived in the South where clay courts are common. If I played on hard courts more than once a week, my knees would complain. In fact, it is interesting that even young and very fit elite tennis players are having knee problems due to so many events occurring on hard courts there days.

Running is great if you stay on dirt trails and pay attention to stride.
Excellent idea! I was just thinking about running trails or staying on the school grounds/fields might be better than running on the pavement. I like cycling more, but running fits into the schedule better sometimes.
Old 05-09-12, 01:52 PM
gtragitt

Bikes: 2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Running is for criminals
Old 05-09-12, 01:58 PM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a former runner who took up racewalking about 17 years ago. My knees would not allow me to run today even if I wanted to, but I can racewalk with no problems. Last weekend I finished my third half marathon of this year.

Cycling is a great workout, but it's not weight-bearing. I'm starting to have some bone density loss so I'm going to keep the weight-bearing exercise as long as I can.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 05-09-12, 02:03 PM
teachme

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=CbadRider;14201644]I'm a former runner who took up racewalking about 17 years ago. My knees would not allow me to run today even if I wanted to, but I can racewalk with no problems. Last weekend I finished my third half marathon of this year.

Cycling is a great workout, but it's not weight-bearing. I'm starting to have some bone density loss so I'm going to keep the weight-bearing exercise as long as I can.[/QUOTE]

You hit the trifecta on that one! Exactly the reason I was looking for, to keep running in my cross-training program!
Old 05-09-12, 02:37 PM
12bar

Bikes: Specialized, Felt, Surly, Masi,Giant

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I run run, swim and bike throughout the week, it is a very busy schedule with two workouts on most days. I make sure I take one full day off at least once a week. If you slowly increase your mileage or time you will ease into a steady improvement in fitness. You might also want to talk to a running or triathlon coach to help you develop a program that will keep you injury free and progressively getting fitter.
Old 05-09-12, 02:44 PM
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The hardest part of being a triathlete is.....
Old 05-09-12, 02:46 PM
jmccain

Bikes: Kvale, Peugeot, Cervelo, Bridgestone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by teachme View Post
Yes, I know what you mean... I also started running because my weight loss rate has plateaued with cycling. Running combined with cycling renders a more efficient way of increasing my metabolism to achieve the weight loss. I've lost 30 through cycling... That came off easy within the first few months. Iwant to lose 25 more but its being very stubborn. I feel like I can reach my goal If I can keep running and cycling but avoid the injurys that running brings on.
I've found the best weight loss equipment is the knowledgeable use of a fork. I exercise for fitness and eat healthy for weight loss/maintenance. If I can't exercise, my fitness goes down, but the weight doesn't go up.

For me.

Last edited by jmccain; 05-09-12 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-09-12, 02:49 PM
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
.....having to.....
Old 05-09-12, 04:10 PM
bobthib
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I ride 2x a week with a bunch of Triathletes. I'm getting tempted to do a tri.
Old 05-09-12, 04:16 PM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No. Because the harshness on the joints and protecting my feet(diabetic), I ride for cardio, fitness, and fun.
Old 05-09-12, 05:41 PM
jmiked

Bikes: Specialized Camber Elite 29er

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a bad knee that prevents me from running or jogging. It has no effect on my bike riding other than keeping me from standing up while riding. Not much of a loss.
Old 05-09-12, 05:53 PM
Hermes
Version 3.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by teachme View Post
OK, I like to run. when I played basketball we had to run a sub 6 minute mile, just to be able to try out for the team. I don't think I'll ever hit that mark again but 15 minute mile is doable. It is hard on the knees, I agree with you on that.
This must be a typo. 15 minute mile is moderate walking. A 12 minute mile is fast walking and 11 minute starts a slow jog or race walking. If that pace is correct, you would be better off brisk walking and not take any impact loading on your skeleton.
Old 05-09-12, 06:56 PM
Banded Krait

Bikes: Trek Pilot 5.9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ran cross-country in high school and continued running for fitness into my mid-20's. However, I have not run in any sustained way for over 30 years. This thread (and others like it on other sub-forums) leave me wondering if I could get back into decent running shape. I've been very pleasantly surprised at the gains in fitness I have experienced in just one year of cycling. I am reluctant to start a running program due to fear of the injuries I might sustain from the pounding.
Old 05-09-12, 07:07 PM
Mort Canard

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like a lot of others here I found that running was killing my knees. I gave it up before I hit 45 over a decade ago. I do sometimes walk for exercise, but I would rather be on one of my bikes.
Old 05-09-12, 07:09 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
I did enjoy running in high school, but any desire I would have for it now is easily outweighed by the wish to keep my back functioning. Bike riding keeps my damaged back stronger, but not strong enough to keep one misplaced step while running from turning me into a hobbling wretch.
Old 05-09-12, 07:35 PM
DEK

Bikes: '11 Felt Z85, '72 Motobecane Grand Record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
>>>Has cycling tempted you to start running?<<<

BWAHAHAHA!! LOL!!!! LMAO!!!!!

Oh, wait. You were serious!?!?!?!
Old 05-09-12, 07:47 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Absolutely. I think I enjoy my runs more than my rides...though riding brought me back to running after I burned out on riding. But, I can only do treadmills, -.5 decline...my knees can't deal with more. A 45 minute run, and then a cool down and a little yoga; that's a good sweaty workout.
Old 05-09-12, 07:49 PM
rnorris

Bikes: Marin Pt. Reyes, Gary Fisher HiFi Pro, Easy Racers Gold Rush recumbent, Cannondale F600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cycling is encouraging me to keep running.... odd man out, I guess. It really helps on the bike when max. cardio output is needed, such as during long climbs at higher altitudes. I can tell the difference when I haven't been running. Been doing both activities for decades, don't want to quit either one.

Last edited by rnorris; 05-09-12 at 07:53 PM.
Old 05-09-12, 08:15 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: RANS V3 ti, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by cccorlew View Post
Oh god, no. Never. Not at all.

Unless it involves chasing a ball.

But running. That's just wrong.
+1
If someone stole one of my bikes, I'd run after it/them.

Last edited by JanMM; 05-10-12 at 08:13 PM.
Old 05-09-12, 08:36 PM
trackhub

Bikes: Gunnar Street Dog

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Put me in the "No, never, no way" category. I'm 5' 11", thin build, and people comment to me frequently that "you must be a great runner".
When I tell them I hate running, and prefer cycling, the response is generally a blank stare. I just dislike the pounding on feet, knees, and
everything else. It also seems very inefficient, but maybe that's just me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.