Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Jack Daniels (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/817455-jack-daniels.html)

Dudelsack 05-14-12 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Wildwood (Post 14219522)
If you're asking for help making a connection, that means you don't know Jack. Get to know him well and you will be spinning around - just like a bicycle wheel.

I get it.

Daspydyr 05-14-12 04:41 PM

I personally like biking through the GLEN as in Levit.

My in house project for this summer is to learn to make a good Gin Fizz, especially the historic Ramos Gin fizz. Research is its own reward!

david58 05-14-12 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver (Post 14219525)
You just have to drink your hard spirits from a pint glass... problem solved.

Yep. I'd never have to count to two....

OldLog 05-14-12 06:11 PM

My kind of thread. My choice Makers Mark.

Digital Gee 05-14-12 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by OldLog (Post 14223141)
My kind of thread. My choice Makers Mark.

I have to admit, I'd rather have a Makers Mark Manhattan than a JD on the rocks. That night, I was out of Makers Mark.

Camilo 05-14-12 06:26 PM

Jack Daniels isn't bourbon. I won't get into whether it's good (I'll just say I never buy it, I prefer different characteristics in my whiskey). Just that it's not bourbon

Add to the list of bourbons Bulleit (sp?). Not to my taste, but it is bourbon and of the sort that would probably appeal to JD lovers.

Digital Gee 05-14-12 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Camilo (Post 14223204)
Jack Daniels isn't bourbon. I won't get into whether it's good (I'll just say I never buy it, I prefer different characteristics in my whiskey). Just that it's not bourbon

Add to the list of bourbons Bulleit (sp?). Not to my taste, but it is bourbon and of the sort that would probably appeal to JD lovers.

Yeah, I knew that. I buy/order JD when they don't have a decent bourbon available. I like JD, but I like a good bourbon better.

Camilo 05-14-12 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee (Post 14223212)
Yeah, I knew that. I buy/order JD when they don't have a decent bourbon available. I like JD, but I like a good bourbon better.

Oh, and so I don't sound snooty, I'd never turn down a JD! If given the choice of the stuff that is often found in a well stocked home liquor cabinet, my preference would be either a well made dry gin martini or pretty much what this guy writes:

Originally Posted by SPlKE (Post 14218257)
...Back to bourbon -- it's my favorite brown liquor. I think I've tried a bottle of every bourbon that's less than $100 a bottle, even the small batch craft bourbons.

My favorites, in order:

1. Knob Creek

2. Makers Mark

3. Jim Beam

I actually think Jim Beam stands up on it's own, not to mention it's readily available and affordable.... and comes in those nice plastic 750s with the dram-sized cap!

I will turn down Scotch, for some reason it tastes like soap or something burnt to me and most always has some factor in it that makes me feel poorly. Usually the scotch drinkers will have a decent bourbon or JD, or even a good cold vodka or gin sits easier with me than scotch.

Trying to "understand" Ryes these days, and enjoying the learning experience so far!

freedomrider1 05-14-12 06:50 PM

Now that we are talking Jim Beam i think we are going to be close to the home of Jim Beam when we go to the 4 annual fifty plus get together. Has anyone taken a tour of the Jim Beam distillery?

rnorris 05-14-12 08:22 PM

I don't drink much, but back in the day I'd have the occasional ride home after a Friday night party in the pitch dark of the local MUP, trying to follow the little spot of light from my $5 generator set... that mean little light led me astray into the ditch more than a few times. :)

SPlKE 05-15-12 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by Camilo (Post 14223241)
I actually think Jim Beam stands up on it's own, not to mention it's readily available and affordable.... and comes in those nice plastic 750s with the dram-sized cap!

I will turn down Scotch, for some reason it tastes like soap or something burnt to me and most always has some factor in it that makes me feel poorly. Usually the scotch drinkers will have a decent bourbon or JD, or even a good cold vodka or gin sits easier with me than scotch.

Trying to "understand" Ryes these days, and enjoying the learning experience so far!

I'm the same way with scotch. Something about the way it's made, I suppose, gives all scotch I've ever tasted a flavor I don't like. All scotch I've ever had more than one glass of has given me a raging headache. Maybe I'm allergic to some congener that's in scotch but not in bourbon, irish whiskey or canadian whiskey.

My brother in law has been talking up rye whiskey lately. He's usually a crown royal drinker. I think it's time I started to "understand" rye whiskey. http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...supicon2ii.gif

qcpmsame 05-15-12 05:59 AM

I am a Scotch drinker, I prefer a single malt but won't turn down a multi-barrel blended either. I do like JD as it was my late Father-in-law's only drink. Gentleman Jack in the decanter was his favorite, God Rest His Soul. Scotch is an acquired taste and it took me about 5 seconds to acquire it, the bartender was quick that night.

Thanks for the light-hearted thread Gary, 50+ needed some lightening up for a bit.

Bill

BlazingPedals 05-15-12 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston (Post 14218353)
It will be interesting to hear of any tastings from the Fourth Annual Ride in Tennessee. :D

I hope that ride doesn't go by its acronym!

BigAura 05-15-12 06:47 AM

Bicycle playing cards?

http://www.bicyclecards.com/images/u...ls-Feature.jpg

bigbadwullf 05-15-12 07:26 AM

I live a few counties removed from where it's made. Anything but Jack! Sorry Gee. Get you some good Kentucky bourbon and you won't look back :) . Maker's Mark would be a good start. Wild Turkey Special Reserve(not the regular Wild Turkey) would be another good start.

Scotch. You have to find the scotch you like. They are all different. Some are horribly "hot". And if you put it over rocks or add anything to it, you should be shot! :)

Jim from Boston 05-16-12 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals (Post 14224891)
I hope that ride [Fourth Annual Ride in Tennessee] doesn't go by its acronym!

I'm sorry that I likely won't make it to the Ride; I hear it's going to be a gas.

Sixty Fiver 05-16-12 05:23 PM

Funny but I have never met a Rye whiskey that I liked that much and as I used to tend a pretty posh bar, got to try most of them.

I have not met a Scotch whiskey I did not like and do not look down on blended Scotch as many of these are superior to the best single malts because they are consistently excellent.. Haig's Pinch / Dimple is one of my favourite blends and Auchentoshan could be my favourite single malt.

waldowales 05-16-12 07:24 PM

Chevis Regal or Lauders. Avoid the Scotches that taste like burnt peat moss, like Glenlivit or Johnny Walker.

qcpmsame 05-17-12 06:07 AM

[QUOTE=Sixty Fiver;14233038I have not met a Scotch whiskey I did not like and do not look down on blended Scotch as many of these are superior to the best single malts because they are consistently excellent.. Haig's Pinch / Dimple is one of my favourite blends and Auchentoshan could be my favourite single malt.[/QUOTE]

65'er, The Haig and Haig is one of my favorites along with Famous Grouse. Glen Livet and Glen Fiddich are my 2 single malt choices although I have been privileged to have some really nice 18 Y.O. single malts at special occasions like military aviation wingings and retirements. You sir have excellent taste in Scotch and bicycles. Cheers mate.

Bill

waldowales 05-17-12 10:41 AM

Wow, I must be getting old! I completely forgot Cutty Sark! That was the last bottle I bought, thirty something years ago, and the last mixed drink I had, fifteen or so years ago!

ecrider 05-17-12 11:51 AM

Jack Daniels

For those who like a smooth Kentucky bourbon, I'd suggest a wheated bourbon that uses wheat instead of rye as a secondary grain. In addition to the ubiquitous Maker's Mark, there is Old Fitzgerald, WL Weller and Bernheim (which is mostly wheat). I hear Pappy Van Winkle is excellent but it's a premium priced, seasonal bourbon.

leob1 05-17-12 12:39 PM

On the third page and nobody has mentioned that they have a kettle with a copper coil in the backyard. I've always wanted to try that. Production that is, not so much consumption.

SPlKE 05-17-12 01:36 PM

Tonight I'm eating at a restaurant that has these bourbons. http://www.earthbreadbrewery.com/spirits.html

Have any of you bourbon lovers tried either one?

[TABLE="width: 600"]
[TR]
[TD]Four Roses Small Batch[/TD]
[TD]Lawrenceburg, Kentucky[/TD]
[TD]
$8
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Buffalo Trace [/TD]
[TD]Frankfort, Kentucky[/TD]
[TD]
$7

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Camilo 05-17-12 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by leob1 (Post 14236715)
On the third page and nobody has mentioned that they have a kettle with a copper coil in the backyard. I've always wanted to try that. Production that is, not so much consumption.

OK, here you go, but it was in the kitchen.

Way back when (mid-70s) when I was in my 20s, but gainfully employed in a couple of part time jobs and finishing professional school, I shared a place with a guy (still friends) who brought into the household a homemade still. I had taken a couple of chemisty classes over the years, and knew the principles and design of a basic alcohol distilling. His was basic, and we used it to make some almost drinkable crap.

It was a simple pressure cooker with a crudely coiled copper tube coming out of the top vent. We heated wine (yes wine) in the pressure cooker, cooled the steam through the coil (can't remember if it just air cooled, or if we used a water bath). The product that dripped out was nice and clear, and alcoholic. We tasted it just for fun, but never actually drank enough to catch a buzz.

I did distill up a 1/2 pint put it in an old brown whiskey bottle, and hand made a label called it "Old Fogey" and mimiced some of the wording and lettering from a cheap whiskey bottle. Gave it to a friend of mine on the occasion of his, probably 25th or 26th birthday. I really doubt he drank it except that we probably all took a ceremonial swig between, er, herbal and hops-based intoxicants at his birthday party.

freedomrider1 05-17-12 02:55 PM

it will only have gas if you are coming Jim,hmm are you coming to Tennessee?