Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

So what did you do?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

So what did you do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-12, 04:57 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So what did you do?

Some one has to start this post. It's Mothers day and what did you do for Mom or what did your family do for you?

I took my wife of almost 34 years, the person who did the most work in bringing our two beautiful daughters into this world and helped to raise them into fine individuals out to lunch at her favorite tea shop. I did not ride huge distances, I did not climb huge elevations, I just took a simple 1 hour ride early in the morning while she enjoyed her coffee. After a nice lunch we went antiqueing and then I took her to Barnes and Noble where she became the proud owner of a Nook tablet. She is into books and not bikes - so I follow here lead. Maybe I'll get a Nook too
Old 05-13-12, 05:21 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
IHOP. It rules. Two out of four grand kids came over. I obeyed all commands. Once a year.

Old 05-13-12, 06:10 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
I cooked dinner for my wife daughter, son, daughter-in-law, and two grand kids. Of course I cook all the time so that was nothing special. My daughter took her mom to a movie for some mother daughter bonding.
Old 05-13-12, 06:34 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Red Lobster with son and daughter-in-law. Ate too much and regret it.
Old 05-13-12, 06:58 PM
Saved by Grace

Bikes: Only one at a time; currently a 2012 Specialized Tricross Sport

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had to work this morning 6 am to noon, but when my wife and daughter got out of church, they picked up me up at the office and we went to lunch. Then, we came home for a family-veg-out-time (i.e., a two hour pass-out nap after lunch), followed by a late-day errand to Lowe's, picking up dinner on the way home.

I just called my mother (almost 85 years old, w/Alzheimers). Aside from having to tell her my name and where we live, the call was as good as can be expected. I'm sure hearing from family members has even more value from her standpoint.

Now it's time for an exciting evening. I think I'll watch Mythbusters and then River Monsters. I don't know if I can keep up this pace.
Old 05-13-12, 07:10 PM
Slogging along

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse '06, Mongoose titanium road bike '00--my commuter. Yes, Mongoose once made a decent ti road bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My daughter took my wife and I out to The Golden State Cafe on Fairfax right across the street from Canter's Deli. This is Hollywood, folks.

https://www.thegoldenstatecafe.com/

Great, and I mean great artistically made gastronomically wonderful burgers that only an individually owned 'hole in the wall' joint can produce!!

What a wonderful treat from my daughter for my wife's Mother's day and my 63rd birthday.
Old 05-13-12, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
After cooking breakfast, we decided to head for the beach for (what I thought would be) a cruise. My lovely wife then proceeded to push the pace and rip my legs off. UNTIL we had a head wind, then suddenly, she was behind me.
Old 05-13-12, 07:40 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
I was nursing my wife for the last month. 4 disk replacement. We stayed home. Not much riding either.
Old 05-13-12, 08:15 PM

Bikes: Pacific Reach, Strida

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Having no children, and both parents long dead, I didn't do anything celebratory. But I did ride my bike to my Zen meditation group, and had a very good sitting session and talk there.
Old 05-13-12, 08:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I arranged a late afternoon lunch/dinner with my wife, myself and our daughter at a place equally distanced between our homes. My wife misses her. (As I do as well BTW.)
Old 05-13-12, 08:30 PM

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
How I Spent My Mother's Day

At my son's Baccalaureate. He graduates tomorrow!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Kiss.jpg (68.3 KB, 26 views)
Old 05-13-12, 08:46 PM

Bikes: A slate grey mountain bike & a grey road bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What a fantastic picture miss kenton! Congratulations to your son on his graduation & Happy Mother's Day to you.

Today, all of us kids and grandkids went over to Mom's house and moved furniture.
My Dad can no longer deal with the stairs, so a hospital bed is coming for him on Tuesday, so we moved most of the furniture out of the den to make room. Then we ordered Chinese and had a tasty dinner.
Old 05-13-12, 08:54 PM

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you, missjean! I am so proud of him! He was lucky enough to have had both his Grandmothers there, too!
Happy Mother's Day to you, too. I'm glad you had a good dinner after all that work.
Old 05-13-12, 08:59 PM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My wife and I went to 7:30 mass this morning with her Mom and Dad. After mass we went to I-Hop for a very nice breakfast. I called my 95 year old Mom who lives in Estes Park Co. to wish her a happy Mothers day, and was very pleased that she was in great spirits and was doing better from a bout of fluid build up that she has been battling over the past ten days or so. Grilled hamburgers for lunch at mom-in-laws, spent the afternoon hanging around the pool.
Old 05-13-12, 08:59 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I avoided all restaurants and took a long ride, stopping at the grocery store on the way home. My mother and grandmothers are dead and my ex and I had no kids, so its a non-holiday for me.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 05-13-12, 09:01 PM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by miss kenton
Thank you, missjean! I am so proud of him! He was lucky enough to have had both his Grandmothers there, too!
Happy Mother's Day to you, too. I'm glad you had a good dinner after all that work.
Congratulations on your sons graduation miss K! What a proud day tomorrow will be!
Old 05-13-12, 09:02 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rubic
My daughter took my wife and I out to The Golden State Cafe on Fairfax right across the street from Canter's Deli. This is Hollywood, folks.
Was Canter's too crowded that you couldn't get in?
https://www.cantersdeli.com/

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 05-13-12, 09:30 PM
Slogging along

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse '06, Mongoose titanium road bike '00--my commuter. Yes, Mongoose once made a decent ti road bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
Was Canter's too crowded that you couldn't get in?
https://www.cantersdeli.com/
Canter's was not too crowded. We decided to chow down on some good old "hole in the wall" goodness and it worked out quite well, thank you.
Old 05-13-12, 10:09 PM

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chatoe Rogue for a concert and some food and fine Rogue Brewing beers. Well, mom had beer. I had the plural part.
Old 05-14-12, 05:58 AM

Bikes: Trek 1420 triple, Mercier Corvus, Globe 1 700, Surly Disc Trucker, GT Avalanche, GT Grade, GT Helion, Mercier Corvus, Motobacane Boris X7 Fat Bikes,

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I rode 40 miles while the wife rested. That evening my son cooked (grilled) dinner for us and his girlfriend (who is a mom). Then we cleaned up the dishes and moped the floor. After dinner we drove a short distance to a nature preserve for a walk at dusk.
Old 05-14-12, 06:02 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Home bound with the IV pump, I cooked a pork loin on the grill, my S-I-L made fresh green beans and my wife made home made tomato bread. My mom and my wife's mom came over and we had lunch. I had a cake I purchased (sorry no pie, too many non bicyclist) for desert for everyone else, I don't eat sweets, save pie. Great day all around if only I could ride.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 05-14-12, 06:08 AM
World's Oldest Adolescent

Bikes: Fuji touring, Schwinn Sierra MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unfortunatly, I'm 8 hours from home. Had flowers delivered to the "lovely and charming", had a nice long talk on the phone with her. Been married 38 years, first mothers day apart. Then went for a 20 mile ride. first time on the bike in about a year due to a hip issue.

Ken
Old 05-14-12, 07:39 AM
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I remembered my mom, and I bought a card for the cat to give my wife, and asked her to wish her mother a happy day for me. The day before was our anniversary, so Mother's Day at our house was kind of anticlimactic.
Old 05-14-12, 07:55 AM

Bikes: I've lost my mind!

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My kids both came over. My son ate breakfeast with us, then I took him on a short 10 mile bike ride. He hasn't ridden in about a year, so he was done after that. My daughter and her husband came over and made dinner for us. They both just got bikes, saying I inspired them. (I lost about 70 lbs. over the past year) They brought their bikes and we went on the fire roads behind our house for about a six mile ride. Came home and had chicken fajitas, then went out for an ice cream cone. Pretty good day. Also, sadly, my first Mothers Day without my mother. Lost her to lung cancer last year.
Old 05-14-12, 10:44 AM

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Both our sons are away at college and busy with papers but older son Skyped his mom in the evening and the other is scheduled to this evening. Went to church in the morning and had some of my wife's family over for dinner (four generations represented) and the guys all pitched in to do the cooking and cleaning.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.