Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Physical today proves cycling has helped me.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-12, 05:43 PM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Got up before the Sun and started my ride several minutes before sunrise(very cloudy anyway). Wanted to get in 34 miles and have plenty of time to be back before my physical at 11AM. Also wanted to ride with the least chance of getting caught in the rain. Managed to miss all but a few drops of rain, but did have a lot of mist and fog at one point. My time was okay but not as nice as it was yesterday during the first part of Tuesday's ride(windier today)--still managed 17 mph overall average today. Was glad I did start really early as the roads stayed quite wet and getting back before 8AM gave me plenty of time to wipe down the bike, wipe down the chain, gears, derailleurs, and re-lube the chain.

Anyway, blood work, which I got done last week before the physical, was fantastic. My HbA1c measured 5.4(I'm type II diabetic) which is excellent for someone with diabetes(this is down from Nov. '11, 5.5 or 5.6). He's telling me to stop one of my 3 diabetic meds, glimepiride, and see how my blood sugar goes--if it seems to be higher than I like, I can start it again, but stopping this will keep afternoon hypoglycemia at bay. My cholesterol was even better than last November and that was already doing well. Last November the doc took me off Niaspan and he is now considering changing my other cholesterol med to a less aggressive one--will wait until November's blood work. Blood pressure is down from last time(it was good last time, even better now) and my HR was 58 this morning even though I had a caffeinated drink earlier in the morning.

I know that the weight loss is a significant factor, but the cycling is a major factor.

To anyone new here starting out in cycling, cycling is a great way to improve your health and quality of life. I just wish I had done this years earlier.

Last edited by Bikey Mikey; 05-16-12 at 09:09 PM.
Old 05-16-12, 05:57 PM
Saved by Grace

Bikes: Only one at a time; currently a 2012 Specialized Tricross Sport

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I usually end up with White Coat Syndrome every time I visit the doc. I always take a log of several days/weeks worth of "at home" BP and pulse data and he knows that's all it is, since I'm usually reasonable (if not Earth-shatteringly low) at home. But since riding more, I'm even more reasonable. Three weeks ago I had my annual checkup and my in-office BP was 120/80, which has been previously unheard-of. I think I got a stranger look from the nurse when she read that BP than several years ago when it was 160/85 in the office...!
Old 05-16-12, 06:05 PM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
+100

After I started riding seriously, I was taken off my high blood pressure medications and my doctor held off on giving me the cholesterol meds he was planning on prescribing for me. My weight went from 180 to 150 lbs. I am now to the point that I really get ansy if I don't ride. I hurt my shoulder on Saturday and haven't ridden since and I am going nuts not being able to get out and ride. It's very addicting.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 05-16-12, 06:21 PM

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Good news!

I lost 1/3 of my body weight and have been biking for a year, after being totally sedentary. I had high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, and restless leg syndrome. I lost my excess weight over a year and a half and biked 3000 miles in the past year. And I still have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sleep apnea and the restless legs are even worse. Exercise really aggravates RLS for me.

Ah well. I generally feel much better and have more energy. So I must be healthier, eh?
Old 05-16-12, 06:23 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Drop the diet colas and you will see a great change.

Old 05-16-12, 08:23 PM

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Drop the diet colas and you will see a great change.
I did for six months and went to one or two cups of black tea in the morning and green tea thereafter. It made no difference and I recently went back to drinking diet coke. Which I love.
Old 05-16-12, 08:33 PM

Bikes: 2020 Giant Cypress DX

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts
Bikey Mikey.
If you've seen any of my health related posts, you know that riding is what got my diabetes in check.
I'm very happy you're seeing positives results. Keep up the good work and know that I am proud to be a member where your actions are having a positive affect on others.
Old 05-16-12, 09:27 PM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I do take a mild blood pressure med, Benazepril, but the doc has me on that as it is good protection for my kidneys, not so much for my BP. My BP this morn was 118/65 or /60--don't recall the exact lower number.

Good job on the 1/3 body weight loss goldfinch. Wish the cycling helped you more, but it definitely has helped me tremendously. From where I started losing weight in Sep '10, I'm a tad less than 3/5 of my former weight, 145 now/251 then(lost 42.3% of the weight).

10 Wheels, I do drink too much Diet Dr. Pepper. I need to drink more water...I did that for about 3 or 4 months, but slipped back into the diet soda habit. I wonder if I used Mio added to water it would help me kick the soda habit. Wonder if I'd be trading one bad thing for another?

Thanks for the positive comments guys. I will never, NEVER, go back to where I was as long as I can do something about it.
Old 05-16-12, 09:52 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
What is wrong with just plain water??

I drink water and a little bit of milk with my cereal, and that's it and look at me!!

Seriously, why must everything be flavored?
Old 05-16-12, 10:48 PM

Bikes: Madone 5.9, Sequoia, World Sport

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The last time I went to the doctor, he asked

OK, come clean what are you doing....

After having all the typical boarderline bloodwork, he proceeded to pronounce me as having perfect blood results.

The biking has helped, no doubt, I may have some extra weight,

But tonight, I averaged 18 mph for 20 miles..... not bad and a personal best.
Old 05-17-12, 05:50 AM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Congratulations Bikey Mikey! Just think; all those positive effects from cycling and on top of all that; cycling is fun!!!!!!!