Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Do you pay attention to smog advisories?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-12, 08:20 AM
Northern Rider

Bikes: 1999 Litespeed Tuscany 105, 2007 Marin Palisades Trail, 2006 Burley Duet tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 811 Times in 203 Posts

We have our first smog advisory of the summer in the Toronto area this weekend. We're advised to limit strenuous activity during smog events. There are more hospital admissions at these times and I'm guessing that 50+ people are more vulnerable than others.

We had very few advisories last summer but the year before was brutal. When they go on for a while I start to wonder whether our bike rides are doing us more harm than good. This morning I thought about going to the gym instead of riding but I opted for a short ride at low intensity.

Do you have these advisories in your area and how do you react?
Old 05-21-12, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
I totally ignore them and do my daily, 25 mile commute. The air seems no different on these days.
Old 05-21-12, 09:22 AM

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,644 Times in 950 Posts
I ignore them also. I know I am doing better cardiovascular wise riding than I would be driving in.
Old 05-21-12, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No. We don't have them.

If those tests are as good as the "research" done on "air quality", they are worthless.
Old 05-21-12, 09:46 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
No, but my wife does. If its too high she really gives me a hard time about riding.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 05-21-12, 10:32 AM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Last summer we had several times over month or so with air quality alerts. The Great Dismal Swamp was on fire or smoldering and at times the smoke particulates hung thick in the air around Tidewater. I biked anyway and didn't have issues, but if I had emphysema or moderate to severe asthma, I would heed them. I know a few people who had to stay indoors most of the time because the air quality, the smoke, would've been a real problem.
Old 05-21-12, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not here but we send all our smog across the pond to the Big Smoke (Vancouver) and then they ship it off east to "the Center of the Universe as they know it" otherwise known in Canada as Toronto.
Old 05-21-12, 11:11 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
The atmosphere is in rinse mode here, at present.
Old 05-21-12, 11:18 AM

Bikes: Kvale, Peugeot, Cervelo, Bridgestone

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do.
Old 05-21-12, 01:01 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I did, I could not ride... living in So Cal, smog is a way of life. That said... this year has been exceptionally smoggy... I have been praying for an onshore breeze to blow it away! Sometime it does get difficult to breath... so I use my own body when to tell me to cut the ride short.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 05-21-12, 01:03 PM
Northern Rider

Bikes: 1999 Litespeed Tuscany 105, 2007 Marin Palisades Trail, 2006 Burley Duet tandem

Originally Posted by overthehillmedi
Not here but we send all our smog across the pond to the Big Smoke (Vancouver) and then they ship it off east to "the Center of the Universe as they know it" otherwise known in Canada as Toronto.
Well, I'm glad you guys are doing something useful...
Old 05-21-12, 01:07 PM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I pay attention to them for reference purposes, for use when it comes time to vote, otherwise not so much.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 05-21-12, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
They don't stop me from riding, but they do influence where I put in my miles. I lived in the Sacramento Valley as it changed from having generally pristine air, except during rice-field burning, to one of the smoggiest air basins in the nation. (This coincided with I-80 changing from an empty roadway to a bumper to bumper mess.) I would always ride towards the coast on the worst smog days. Now that I am 500 miles north of there, I do the same thing, although it is to escape winter burning and late Spring grass pollen. I love rain; it removes the particulates that Bubba dumps into the air while also reducing the pollen counts to bearable levels.
Old 05-21-12, 01:44 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
No longer do as Britain-Along with the rest of Europe- has targets for air pollution. In fact for any pollution.

I live in an area that has plenty of open spaces with the English Channel on the south of it. Right on top of the hills and only a couple of miles from the sea there is a pollution monitoring base. There must be a reason for sighting it on the top of a hill- in a non populated area and on a windy ridge. There is nothing around to pollute that area unless you count the Road that runs along the south coast but it is surprising how often that the pollution levels recorded are significantly high in comparison to the rest of the UK. Never affected me as I have been riding up by the station on "Bad" days and other than the usual lack of breath from riding up bloody steep hills- it is not apparent.

I am old enough to remember the London Smogs of the 50's. Big city- only heating by coal fires and although they were fewer in number- the vehicles did not have any emission controls. If you could see 1 yard in front of you then you were lucky but those days are well gone.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-21-12, 01:56 PM
Northern Rider

Yes Stapfam, I remember the "pea soupers" in Manchester in the "50s. My arms were shorter then and I couldn't see my hand in front of my face. Got lost on my way to school once.

edit: I'm expecting someone to post a link to the Monty Python "when I were a lad" (Four Yorkshiremen) sketch any minute now....

Today's smog isn't nearly as bad visually (usually a brownish smudge along the horizon) but the medical people still seem to be bothered about it. We're on Lake Ontario but the smog affects the entire region.

Last edited by nondes; 05-21-12 at 03:50 PM.
Old 05-21-12, 03:05 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
I pay more attention to the heat advisories. We've had several heat related deaths over the past few years, so if the index is nudging 100 I cool it.

Old 05-21-12, 04:11 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by nondes
Yes Stapfam, I remember the "pea soupers" in Manchester in the "50s. My arms were shorter then and I couldn't see my hand in front of my face. Got lost on my way to school once.

edit: I'm expecting someone to post a link to the Monty Python "when I were a lad" (Four Yorkshiremen) sketch any minute now....

Today's smog isn't nearly as bad visually (usually a brownish smudge along the horizon) but the medical people still seem to be bothered about it. We're on Lake Ontario but the smog affects the entire region.
Those smogs we used to have were bad and you could see and smell the pollution. Today's Pollutants are a different kind with All sorts of gases being the cause and they may not be such a visual problem but they will cause a lot of medical problems. But as I say- Europe is taking action and in very big steps to cut the pollution problem. We used to have road tax on cars that every vehicle payed and cars all paid the same amount. It is now variable and can be called a Pollution Tax. Bigger cars- bigger engines- more noxious gases emitted and you pay more tax. Electric and a few small cars like the Citroen C1 pay no tax.

Spike Milligan