Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I am turning into a mentor

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-12, 03:14 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

In the last year two of my neighbours have taken up riding. One of them-Nathan- is about 35- plays Rugby and Football and is down the gym at stupid O'Clock every morning for a training session. He is fit and looks it. He bought a Jamis at my recommendation and I don't ride with him. I may start out with him but then he is gone so I ride solo. His problem is that he only does 20 mile rides and they kill him. He explodes into the ride- uses all his energy quickly and can't pace himself to go slow.

The other is Mike. 55 and a bit portly but not fat. It took a long time to persuade him to ride and he was shamed into it when a mutual friend did a long ride last year and that friend is not in any way athletic or fit. I gave him the key to my shed with my old OCR set up for him and told him to take the bike out whenever he wanted. He borrowed it a few times- I took him for a short ride one night to a pub and then he started riding with us on Sundays. Initially a 20 miler for Pie and then take in a few slopes- then a few more miles and then hills. Bought a new Forme C.F. bike with 105 at Christmas and he has upped his milage and his endurance so that he can do a 40 miler with hills with ease. His problem is he will follow the person in front at whatever speed they go at and have to cut back effort early in the ride.

So I have to take them out shortly and I am planning to do on a 40 mile flat course that just has a couple of short sharp rises in it. How I am going to slow Nathan down- I have no idea. Thinking about working on his cadence to force him to concentrate on that instead of speed. He currently grinds away in a high gear and speed just come naturally. Mick has to find his own pace so I will put him on the front and keep him at 15 mph and no more for 5 miles and then get him to ride at his own pace.

Hoping that I can get both of these riders down to my level and so are they. The pair of them would love to do a 100 mile ride and I have just done one. They look at me as a GOD but they will soon find out how I can do that sort of milage----and that is slowly. Providing they learn something then I will be happy. But that is subject to them learning and not taking me out for a ride and killing me for the first 20 miles.

If it works we will be able to ride together in the future. If not then it will still be 3 neighbours enjoying the same sport but each doing it independently- as it is now.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-28-12, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good job on getting your neighbors started in our sport. Introduce them to the local Bicycle Club if there is one. It sounds like Brad could use some time next to the local hot shoes to see how they do it.

I am mostly a solitary cyclist but I notice that I benefit greatly when I get the chance to ride with others.