Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I'm getting lazy

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

I'm getting lazy

Old 05-28-12, 03:28 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm getting lazy

I have a traditional Memorial day ride - have done it for the past 4 years. I ride from North Creek NY to Schenectady, about 85 miles along the Hudson river. It is some of the most beautiful terrain you would hope to ride along, Miles and miles of wild water and mountains. Small towns, scenic farms and quiet roads. But I know that this is a hard ride, it usually takes a lot out of me so this morning I decided to go climbing in the mountains and skip this ride. I did ride about 20 miles and climbed a nice grade that got me 2200' of elevation gain, had a screaming downhill where I hit 40mph. That was a good ride, but I think I will need to get my Hudson river ride in later in the year. I am just not feeling the love of feeling the pain right now.
Old 05-28-12, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So whats your rte from North Creek to Saratoga, what roads? I live there, you missed some good riding wheather...
Old 05-28-12, 03:42 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I go down 28 to The Glenn, take a right and stay along the river next to the tracks. After a few miles take a left to stay along the river and go on towards Stony Creek. Left on Grist Mill & Left to Hadley. Go down to Lake Luzerne and stay on the east side into Hadley. Up through Hadley and then a right beyond the top of the hill to Angle where you make a left. From there I don't remember the road names until I get to Stone Church but by then I am moving west of Saratoga. I follow Stone Church than Goode to Burnt Hills and then to Rexford, cross the bridge over the Mohawk and on the bike path to the finish. If you are interested in this ride I would see if the train from Saratoga takes bikes, ride up on the train and back on the bike. That might make it more like 60 miles. You could also swing through Warrensburg the back way and down 9N to Lake George, pick up the bike path to Glenns Falls, cross the river there and then into Saratoga. Lots of really great options.

PS: I did not miss the weather - I rode in the AM, North creek to Indian Lake.

Last edited by cyclinfool; 05-28-12 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-29-12, 03:20 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I did a ride over the weekend and it hurt. Hadn't prepared enough for it and it was just that bit too long. I should have had more sense but I had entered it last year and Got sponsorship. Felt obliged to do it but got home absolutely finished. But the elation I have after doing that ride cannot be told. I know it was a ride too far- I know I wasn't prepared and I know it hurt but I finished it. If I could do that ride when not prepared for it- Think what I will be able to do when fitness returns

Just can't wait for that day to come so I'll just struggle along and enjoy the rides--retrospectively.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-30-12, 02:11 PM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I need to ride more but life is getting in the way.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 05-30-12, 03:19 PM
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's not the ride, it's the day after! Drove down to Davis, CA a couple of weeks ago, rode the Double on Saturday. Cramped up big time on the 15%+ Cobb Mtn (yeah, I was riding the fixie...). Next day, I rode the Motherlode Century, just one hill after the other. Had to shorten it to a metric as I was still trying to recover from Davis. No power at all and I was walking the fixie up the 20%+ grades! Well, I likely would have been walking up anyway. Very scenic countryside, though, as was Davis. Spent the next few days in Reno, NV, at my informal high-altitude training camp, where I just did recovery rides along the bike paths, although these became more intense due to the high winds. By Wednesday, though, I was able to do an easy lap around scenic Lake Tahoe.

Then last Saturday, I did my step 2 of the Cali Triple Crown, the double in Borrego Springs, CA. Yeah, 15,000'+ of climbing, high winds, cold weather on the descents and hot weather on the long climbs. Then I took two days to drive home to Vancouver. And by the third day I still had no power in the legs.

But when your body snaps back, riding becomes way more fun!

Luis
Old 05-31-12, 12:35 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
does 85 miles have to be painful? what about an earlier start with more and longer rest stops during the ride?
Old 05-31-12, 02:25 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
does 85 miles have to be painful? what about an earlier start with more and longer rest stops during the ride?
If you don't feel good- or right- then it is better to skip a ride that may hurt. There are always other days.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-31-12, 02:40 PM

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
This was a good weekend for me. 82 miles on saturday along the ocean to San Diego on a cool but not cold day. Then on Monday we rode to Huntington beach for a 58 mile flat ride but a bit warmer. After getting my bottom kicked last year on a brand new century last October I am feeling pretty good about trying it again this year.
Old 06-29-12, 11:15 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
thanks man!
Old 06-29-12, 11:16 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyclinfool
I go down 28 to The Glenn, take a right and stay along the river next to the tracks. After a few miles take a left to stay along the river and go on towards Stony Creek. Left on Grist Mill & Left to Hadley. Go down to Lake Luzerne and stay on the east side into Hadley. Up through Hadley and then a right beyond the top of the hill to Angle where you make a left. From there I don't remember the road names until I get to Stone Church but by then I am moving west of Saratoga. I follow Stone Church than Goode to Burnt Hills and then to Rexford, cross the bridge over the Mohawk and on the bike path to the finish. If you are interested in this ride I would see if the train from Saratoga takes bikes, ride up on the train and back on the bike. That might make it more like 60 miles. You could also swing through Warrensburg the back way and down 9N to Lake George, pick up the bike path to Glenns Falls, cross the river there and then into Saratoga. Lots of really great options.

PS: I did not miss the weather - I rode in the AM, North creek to Indian Lake.
Thanks