Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Fainted yesterday.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Fainted yesterday.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-12, 11:16 PM
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Fainted yesterday.

I have a hike coming up with my daughter and grand daughter so I thought I better get my land lets up to par. Been doing this hike up a very popular local mountain and decided to do two rounds yesterday. Feeling great I decided to push the envelope a little to much and went anaerobic near the top. I got there with two ladies and about six people already there. All of a sudden I started to feel light headed and the next thing I saw was this cute young thing rubbing my check and asking if I was OK. I said as long as you don't stop rubbing my check, yes. Everyone was around me and some guy called 911. I got to walk back down with a bunch of new found friends, and the medics from the fire dept. were at the bottom to check me out. I guess I won't push so hard next time.
Old 05-27-12, 11:30 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil85207
I have a hike coming up with my daughter and grand daughter so I thought I better get my land lets up to par. Been doing this hike up a very popular local mountain and decided to do two rounds yesterday. Feeling great I decided to push the envelope a little to much and went anaerobic near the top. I got there with two ladies and about six people already there. All of a sudden I started to feel light headed and the next thing I saw was this cute young thing rubbing my check and asking if I was OK. I said as long as you don't stop rubbing my check, yes. Everyone was around me and some guy called 911. I got to walk back down with a bunch of new found friends, and the medics from the fire dept. were at the bottom to check me out. I guess I won't push so hard next time.

Last time I had that happen, a nurse decide to give me a shot in the hip while I was standing, she said it was muscle relaxer for my outpatient surgery, was she in for a surprise.
Old 05-28-12, 12:33 AM

Bikes: All Treks - fitness and road

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Could be nothin'. Could be somethin'. Passing out is kinda not normal, even when you're pushing yourself hard. I'm no doc, but I've had a few problems. You owe it to yourself to check it out before the next major outing. That way you can go all out and not worry about it.
Old 05-28-12, 05:53 AM
Getting older and slower!

Bikes: Trek Domane 6 series Project One, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Trek XO1, Specialized Turbo Vado 6.0

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I agree with SwampDude, get it checked out. I passed out on a bike ride a few years back and although I was active and in shape, in looking for why I passed out a week later I get five by-passes. They said I was getting ready for the widow maker!
Old 05-28-12, 07:03 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Doctors call necessary and soon- If you don't arrange it we'll have to get your daughter informed. This sounds serious.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-28-12, 08:27 AM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The only time I nearly fainted was once getting blood drawn for Life Insurance. I hadn't eaten anything since lunchtime and it was about 6PM. Funny, the blood results got me rejected and that's when I found out I was diabetic. Get yourself checked out.
Old 05-28-12, 09:22 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Whoa Phil, please get this episode checked out quick. Maybe it was nothing but all of the other"things" it could be a symptom of aren't in the "Its Nothing" column. Glad you weren't injured, BTW, did you get her phone number?

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 05-28-12, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
I guess I won't push so hard next time.
Often it's not the pushing, but the stopping suddenly that causes the fainting. I would definitely go see a doc but if it is benign then next time don't stop when you get to the top of a steep climb. Keep riding and warm down gradually and that should minimize the possibility of fainting.
Old 05-28-12, 12:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cychologist
I agree with SwampDude, get it checked out. I passed out on a bike ride a few years back and although I was active and in shape, in looking for why I passed out a week later I get five by-passes. They said I was getting ready for the widow maker!
Not to frighten you, but Cychologist's experience points out what might be going on. Because I nearly passed out once, I ended up in the emergency room (my wife insisted) and next day had a heart catherization. Or, it could be a blood sugar thing, or a dehydration problem. Have it checked out.
Old 05-28-12, 02:44 PM
Century bound

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
Often it's not the pushing, but the stopping suddenly that causes the fainting. I would definitely go see a doc but if it is benign then next time don't stop when you get to the top of a steep climb. Keep riding and warm down gradually and that should minimize the possibility of fainting.
This is exactly what happened. I got to the top of the mountain and stopped. The last 60 feet or so was about a 10% grade and I didn't slow down till I stopped.

By the way I had my yearly exam and the doc said I had the BP of a teenager and was healthier than most 30 yr. olds he sees. I am sure it was just that I stopped while being in an anaerobic state.
Old 05-28-12, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
This is exactly what happened. I got to the top of the mountain and stopped. The last 60 feet or so was about a 10% grade and I didn't slow down till I stopped.

By the way I had my yearly exam and the doc said I had the BP of a teenager and was healthier than most 30 yr. olds he sees. I am sure it was just that I stopped while being in an anaerobic state.
It could be due to a drop in blood pressure (post-exertional hypotension) but it could also be due to one of a dozen other factors. You would need more than a blood pressure test to rule out some of the more worrisome options. It would be best if you got checked by a professional.

Here is some reading if you're interested: Near-Syncope After Exercise

Syncope and near-syncope are great diagnostic challenges in medicine. On the one hand, the symptom may result from a benign condition and pose little or no threat to health other than that related to falling. On the other hand, syncope or near-syncope can be the manifestation of a serious underlying condition that poses an imminent threat to life. Patients with a cardiac cause of syncope are at far greater risk of dying in the first year after an episode of syncope or near-syncope than individuals with a noncardiac cause. A cardiac cause of syncope should be considered in every patient with syncope or near-syncope, but it is particularly common in older patients or in patients with known structural heart disease, arrhythmia, or certain electrocardiographic abnormalities. Although many diagnostic tests may be helpful in the evaluation of syncope and near-syncope, the history, physical examination, and electrocardiogram pinpoint the cause in many circumstances.
Old 05-28-12, 07:08 PM

Bikes: 2010 Trek Wahoo, 2010 Trek FX 7.5, 2011 Trek Madone 3.1, 2012 Trek 520, 2016 Trek X-Caliber 8, 2017 Trek DS 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I passed out once. Went in for a stress test. Passed it with flying colors. 45 minutes later I passed out. Woke up on a stretcher headed for the cath lab. Had 2 100% blockages and had to have two stints. Get checked out.
Old 05-29-12, 04:46 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On the bright side what a great way to go. One minute you are conscious and the next minute you are not.

Get checked out. Maybe it was a little low blood sugar and low oxygen from the climb.
Old 05-29-12, 05:51 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jim p
On the bright side what a great way to go. One minute you are conscious and the next minute you are not.
That's one way of looking at it, a good way to go. When I die I want it to be peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather, not like all those people screaming and crying in the plane that he was flying.
Old 05-29-12, 09:27 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Phil, you opened the door with your OP. Now you are accountable to us, too, and we are on your case! Keep us posted or we'll be askin'.
Old 05-29-12, 09:30 AM

Bikes: GT Carbon Grade, Jamis Nova Pro, Giant Sedona

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It could be due to a drop in blood pressure (post-exertional hypotension) but it could also be due to one of a dozen other factors. You would need more than a blood pressure test to rule out some of the more worrisome options. It would be best if you got checked by a professional.

Here is some reading if you're interested: Near-Syncope After Exercise
This. I was having episodes after spin classes. Get checked by a good cardiologist. At the worst you will get a good baseline.
Old 05-29-12, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What does a stress test show then if Pirate passed his and had problems? I imagine alot of here could pass a stress test.Just saying after reading some of the things we do, and now i think about it they seem so normal now,but if you mention some of the stuff we do to non riders they get that deer in the headlights look.
Old 05-29-12, 10:02 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by freedomrider1
What does a stress test show then if Pirate passed his and had problems? I imagine alot of here could pass a stress test.Just saying after reading some of the things we do, and now i think about it they seem so normal now,but if you mention some of the stuff we do to non riders they get that deer in the headlights look.
As I understand it, the stress test provides data indicating blood flow from the heart at rest compared to blood flow after exertion. In my case, it indicated a problem with just one blocked artery. A catherization is the definitive test to see what procedure (if any) is needed.

Symptoms that are ignored can result in deadly consequences. This really isn't a topic for debate. When a seemingly healthy, normal person passes out, it is a classic symptom that something MAY be wrong.
Old 05-29-12, 10:06 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a stress echocardiogram after I experienced some heart flutters a few years ago. I was concerned about the hill-climbing I was doing at the time and thought I oughta get checked out to be on the safe side. I have low BP, low resting HR, low cholesterol, low tryglicerides, everything looks good. The cardiologist listened to my heart, looked at me like a deer in the headlights, and said I "have the heart sounds of a teenager". The only thing he could find on the echo was occasional PACs (premature atrial contractions). My heart sometimes flutters after too much caffeine (>1 cup or dark chocolate) or after a very intense ride with a lot of climbing, but not every time.

There are lots of benign causes for your fainting spell, but please get checked out to be sure it's not serious.

Last edited by Yen; 05-29-12 at 10:09 AM.
Old 05-29-12, 10:13 AM

Bikes: 2010 Scattante CFR, Soma Stanyan, Bruce Gordon R&R

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was wondering how well you had hydrated. With the humidity so low you may have underestimated your fluid loss. That is what happens to me if I don't drink enough and climb Sunrise or Camelback.
Old 05-29-12, 10:33 AM

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by freedomrider1
There are stress tests and stress tests: a simple stress test shows your EKG before and during exercise; a nuclear stress test is one where a nucleotide, such as technetiium is injected into the blood stream during rest and a gamma camera takes pictures of the heart and blood flow. During the stress test, technetium is again administered and pictures taken immediately after the exercise to show the blood flow in the heart. Any blockages or abnormalities would be immediately apparent. Had one done a month ago. All clear.

Fainting is not normal during or after exercise and as others have said it could be a warning sign. I have paroxysmal a-fib, which sometimes causes high HR during exercise, but my cardiologist tells me that unless I feel faint, don't worry about it. He says that the fainting would be caused by the heart beating so fast that blood pressure will drop due it not being able to recover between beats.

Get checked out!
Old 05-29-12, 12:23 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
+1 - check it out. I suffer from occasional ortho-static hypotension (dizziness when standing up) and also sometimes get dizzy after high intensity lifting, or sprints (possibly post-exertional hypotension). It is certainly disconcerting. Unfortunately, so far non of the docs I have talked to have any solutions (the cardio guy said I was in great shape but had no solid advice on how to avoid these episodes).
Old 05-29-12, 03:23 PM
Century bound

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
OK, OK, OK ALREADY. I have made another appointment on Thursday at 11:30.

And of course I know its the best thing to do, but I would not have done it without all the nagging-:0)
Old 05-29-12, 05:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, OK, OK ALREADY. I have made another appointment on Thursday at 11:30.

And of course I know its the best thing to do, but I would not have done it without all the nagging-:0)
Good for you. You know we'll be waiting for a report Thursday after the doc visit.
Old 05-29-12, 05:56 PM
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by SwampDude
Good for you. You know we'll be waiting for a report Thursday after the doc visit.
Probably take longer... especially if they have to do fasting blood tests.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.