Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

An interesting observation.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-12, 12:10 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts

I rode with a new group this morning. Lots of pricy bikes. These are non-racers but never-the-less people who ride a lot. No bike racks. Actually, I think that one woman had a bike rack on her car but everybody else, including the guy with the blue Camaro, carried their bikes inside the car.
Old 06-01-12, 12:13 PM
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I like to ride to the start of my rides.

Maybe this group fears a traffic mishap, where a bike gets squished. Or they have security concerns, and don't want a pricey bike left out on a rack for any time...

A third concern is that some darker and raw carbon frames show scratches in the clear coat after repeated carrying in rubber clamps that may have collected some grit.

Who knows?
Old 06-01-12, 12:15 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Lots of riders in our club, many with pricy bikes, carry them inside their vehicles. These days, when so many coupes and sedans have fold down rear seats, it's really pretty easy to do. Even easier with a mini-van, SUV or station wagon.

I even fit my (pricy) Guru inside my Honda Insight; just have to remove the front wheel. When I drive my Miata, however, I do use a bike rack.

Rick / OCRR
Old 06-01-12, 12:28 PM
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I only have the roof rack (ATOC Tandem Topper) because I need to transport the tandem, but I also use it for the fixie when it's got fenders on. Otherwise, the fixie goes in the trunk of the Jetta TDI with both wheels off. Much better fuel mileage.

When I drove to Davis, CA, we put my friend's bike on the roof rack and I was getting 36 mpg (diesel) along I-5. After she flew back home, I drove to Borrego Springs (US 395) and then back home on I-5, with nothing on the roof rack, and I was getting up to 45 mpg. So all that drag on top does make a difference. Had I taken off the roof rack, I likely would have got close to 50 mpg. (Yes, there is a deflector on the front of the rack. It is REALLY noisy without it, especially with the sunroof open!)

Luis
Old 06-01-12, 12:41 PM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I can fit two road bikes (without removing front wheels) into the back of my Audi A4 Avant (Audi-speak for station wagon.) I put a thick foam pad between the bikes.
Old 06-01-12, 02:45 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
I use my 4X4 from work a good bit but I am looking for a Yakima or Thule for our new 2012 Accord's roof. The Accord's gas mileage beats my Silverado all to pieces My son has a nice single bike rack for his GTI, Mark IV that goes on the hatch.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 06-01-12, 02:46 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
When you consider new Saris Bones cost $150, people may not want to use them for fear of having them ripped off. It's happened

Old 06-01-12, 02:46 PM

Bikes: Serotta Fierte IT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't always ride to the Saturday club rides (14 miles one way) and when I drive my bike is inside. Plenty of room in my Mazdaspeed3 for my bike without taking the front wheel off, just turn the bars to the side. That way if I stop anywhere after the ride I don't have to worry about my bike being stolen off a car mounted rack.

Other times I am meeting people after work and time constraints require I drive to the rides.

Mark
Old 06-01-12, 02:55 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Only way I transport my bike is on the rack on the back of the car. Or on the roof rack-laid flat if it is the Tandem. BUT when it gets up and running- my new van will be able to take the bike(s) inside. My neighbour is already planning our trip to France to watch the TDF next year.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-01-12, 04:04 PM

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Ruby Pro aka "Rhubarb" / and a backup road bike

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
My bikes go into the back of my Honda CRV without having to take off the wheels. It's literally 5 seconds to chuck a bike into the car. I rarely have passengers so the Honda's back seats are kept folded down and I have a flattened piece of a cardboard bike box that the bike just slides on - that keeps the upholstery clean and un-snagged. A foam pool noodle fits under the handlebars to prevent the bar ends/tape from rubbing against the cardboard.

I can fit two road bikes stacked in a pile in the back with another piece of cardboard separating the two bikes so they don't tangle.

Perfect for when I plan to ride directly after work, when I run errands before/after my bike ride, or other situations when the bike+car are unattended. It's nice not worrying about the removable accessories too - lights/batteries, saddlebag, heart rate monitor and computer.

Also, some friends had a rooftop rack stolen (bike not in rack) - it was an expensive rack and the thieves damaged the car. The bike rack I used on my 2-seater convertible didn't fit the Honda. Why buy a new rack for $$$ when I can avoid the nuisance of mounting a rack before rides then removing it when I don't need it?
Old 06-01-12, 04:26 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I have a rear rack for the Jeep Wrangler but it's easier to have the rack removed and just carry the bike sans front wheel in the back seat with the handlebars hanging out the windowless back area. Sometimes I grab the wife's Cherokee and just toss the bike in the back.

We used to have a motorhome and that would carry 4 bikes on the back no probs.
Old 06-01-12, 06:25 PM

Bikes: Trek 2.1, Trek 930, Fugi Sagres c.1980

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Even though I have a Ford Focus hatchback, I can easily put my road bike in the back without taking off the front wheel. Why not? It's easier and I think safer for the bike. When my wife and I both go out, we toss them on the rack.
Old 06-01-12, 06:46 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
I have Yakima crossbars and a Thule tandem rack (just like the ATOC Tandem Topper) that I can put on the Mazda van or Vibe but it is so much easier to just put a bike or two or three inside the minivan. The tandem or long wheelbase 'bent fit (one at a time) right down the middle. This is likely our last van, so I'm taking advantage of it.
Old 06-01-12, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I don't use a rack either. The trunk/hatch has a lot going for it:
-it locks
-it hides the bike better
-less chance oF getting damaged (I would be sick if I got rear ended carrying the tommasini on a rack)
-cheaper
-less likely to scratch the paint

The only downfall is being stuck with driving my bronco (12mpg) if I have to haul multiple bikes.

Last edited by thirdgenbird; 06-01-12 at 07:14 PM. Reason: iPad....
Old 06-01-12, 07:10 PM

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a Thule rack that will attach to a trunk or hatchback but I don't use it. It is much easier for me to put my bike in the back of my car rather than attaching the rack to the hatchback, then putting the bike on the rack. I'd be afraid to leave the bike rack on the car if I was away for any length of time, and I won't use a roof rack because I know I'd forget the bike was there.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 06-01-12, 09:22 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
I've always carried the bikes inside whatever car I have. I've had the Blazer for 15 years now.
Old 06-01-12, 10:10 PM

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lhbernhardt
... Jetta TDI with both wheels off. Much better fuel mileage. ....... I was getting 36 mpg (diesel) along I-5. ...... I was getting up to 45 mpg. .................
Luis
I get almost exactly the same mileage with my 2002 Jetta TDI wagon. 36-37mpg with the tandem on top at 75 mph, mid-40's bare. 280K miles and I don't regret a single mile. (with apologies to the OP for the highjack)
Old 06-01-12, 10:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's 3 miles of gravel from my house to the pavement, so I usually borrow my wife's Explorer and carry the bike in the back. If her car isn't available, my Wrangler has a rack, but then the bike is exposed to dust, mud, etc. Going into town means driving on 8 miles of gravel, so on the rare occasion that I take my bike into town, I'll only use the Explorer.
Old 06-01-12, 11:26 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I don't carry a car on my bike, and I don't carry my bikes in/on a car. If a ride is too far to ride to, it's not worth doing, at least for me. Fortunately, I have a fairly long range.

Last edited by B. Carfree; 06-02-12 at 08:56 PM.
Old 06-02-12, 04:56 AM
Saved by Grace

Bikes: Only one at a time; currently a 2012 Specialized Tricross Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd like to find a single-bike trunk rack for my 2010 Accord sedan, but so far the only one I've found is a Saris Solo. Nothing wrong with that, really, but I'd prefer one that could be folded up for trunk storage. The Solo is kinda bulky in the trunk, being made from a rigid piece of plastic. Allen makes some decent racks, none of which fit my car last I checked.
Old 06-02-12, 05:07 AM

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Bikes fit upright in the back of my Honda Odyssey with one of the 3rd row seats folded down. I can still fit my entire family of 5 plus luggage too. It's so much easier than roof loading, which is what I tried a few times on my old Plymouth Voyager minivan.
Old 06-02-12, 05:28 AM
Oh! That British Bloke ..

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just a word of caution; My LBS reports that carrying bikes inside cars is the most common cause of bent dérailleur hangers and broken computer harnesses.
Old 06-02-12, 05:41 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I carry any of our bikes inside the back of our Town and Country, standing up with the front wheel on. Safer for motel travel, etc.

I can carry any type 2 wheeler in the backseat of my non-hatchback Neon sedan style by removing the front wheel.

Haven't used a bike rack of any kind in years. Anyone want one of two bike racks hanging in the garage?
Old 06-02-12, 08:23 AM

Bikes: all diamond frames

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

This.

Bikes never rub, hitch mounted, won't damage vehicle, less than a minute to put bike on rack.
Accident damage-Insurance
Theft-Insurance
No grease or grime from bike on car upholstery
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
product_thumb.jpg (26.8 KB, 7 views)
Old 06-02-12, 11:37 AM

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Normally I can toss my Bike in the back of the Tahoe if it is just me. With front wheels removed I can get 4 bikes in the back as well but not as easy if I have to take the 4 riders with me. On out of town rides I do use a Saris Cycle-on pro. Wheels sit in a tray with a small locking clamp for the back wheel and a large arm that locks the front wheel in place. It can take two 65 pound downhill bikes on the rack closest to the car and two 35 pound bikes on the back two.

Like some I usually ride to the start of our group rides but for centuries, double centuries and longer rides it requires a road trip and I may take the rack.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.