Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

The George Mickelson Trail

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-12, 06:23 PM

Bikes: Raleigh SC30

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The wife & I are looking at riding this trail in Aug. for my birthday.
I was just wondering if anyone has ridden this trail & could help with any suggestions or hints on direction is better, lodging, etc......

We will be doing it in two days since we only need to ride 52 miles for my BD, and the plan is starting in Deadwood.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-04-12, 12:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Biked in sections of the trail between Custer and north of Rochford last October with my son doing self-supported tour through Badlands and the Black Hills. Was just beautiful though somewhat cold. Be aware that in part of August the hills will be full of motor cyclists attending races and rally in Sturgis, SD.

Don’t know if you plan to stay in Deadwood but it might be hard to get a room unless you register early. I have stayed in the ThunderCove Inn in Deadwood on 3 different times and felt it was a nice place and reasonably priced. However it was offseason during January. Here is a link with reviews. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g54578-d1901813-Reviews-Thunder_Cove_Inn_Suites-Deadwood_South_Dakota.html

Last fall stayed in the Super 8 in Hill City and I found it was also a good place to stay. My son was riding his road touring bike and I was riding a loaded recumbent LowRacer. Only a couple of sections did I have any trouble with loose sand and gravel. Don’t know what other sections are like, might be some less packed trails when you go south of Custer.

Here are 2 videos my son took while we were on the trail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYuRzAcEnp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INw5XqjxflA&feature=relmfu

Lots of bridges and tunnels between Hill City and Rochford. Slope never runs above 4%