Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   I need to stay away from this forum..... (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/822530-i-need-stay-away-forum.html)

nuttygrandma 06-02-12 04:31 PM

I need to stay away from this forum.....

... It's costing me money!!!! Oh well, I was just downright stupid last week when I impulsively bought a bike at Wal-mart. I know better. So, I'm gonna pass it on to my sister who refused to ride with me, in the past. Come to find out, it was because she couldn't afford a bike. If I would have known that was her "reluctance", I would have bought her a bike about 5 years ago. I know she is on what she calls the "water budget". Anytime I want to do something new, I have to buy two, one for me and one for her. Usually, she gets my hand-me downs. Well, she is my little sister.

I took a drive to check out some more bike shops, today. I just wasn't totally happy with the LBS in this city. About Wednesday, I realized I needed to add a mirror to my bike. I'm blind in one eye and have been since childhood. A mirrow would help fill in that blind spot. After reading different posts thru the Bike Forums, I also realized that by the end of summer, my wally-world special was gonna meet my needs without alot of changes. I do so much better when the bike is fitted to me. So.... I made the 25 miles to another city.

I found a bike shop that I was really impressed with. They sold Giant and Trekk bikes. I tested both of them. I went in with a list of things I specifically wanted. They may seem minor to most people but were very important to me. I wanted comfort but versatility, but speed scares me. They understood what I wanted to do and took it a step further and looked at growth in biking. I ended up with Giant's Sedona-W bike. It's a comfort hybrid. I love it!!!! I almost settled for Treks Voyager which is more expensive, just because a water cage fits on the frame. However, this Sedona bike seemed to fit me better. Then the owner showed up and took over. He made multiple adjustments and we added a few more things. I even got girly-girl and had a water cage added that is the same color as the bike. I traded the seat in for a gel seat. He said I shouldn't ever need padded shorts with that seat. He spent alot of time teaching me about the 21 gears and how to find my cadence regardless of the incline, decline or what ever else is thrown at me. He assured me that by spring, I won't have any problems with biking Massenauten mountain either. They made sure I knew my bike. Total time: 2 1/2 hours.

Then I drove back home and picked up my bike helmet and took off again in a different direction. I just rode my first rail-trail. This one was only 2.2 miles long. Unfortunately, I followed the online directions for parking and it was 1/2 mile away from the start of the trail. So, there was my first 1/2 mile. No one has updated TrailLink.com. There is a parking lot at the entrance of the trail. When I got to the starting point, it was all uphill. Oh well, I rode uphill about 1 1/3rd miles. I could have gone on further but realized I was gonna pass my distance increase and wasn't sure I wanted to do that just yet. I want to build up distance, not just jump into it. I was surprised how easy it was going uphill when I have been struggling all week with slight incline. So, I turned around. Total time on this adventure was 38 minutes. Total distance was 3.75 miles. What a difference in bikes. When I got back home, I used the bike to run an errand. Total distance for the day is 5 miles. Total saddle time is 48 minutes and my behind is NOT sore.

Not bad for someone who thought she was gonna die by the time she got back to her car on Monday after a 1 mile right. You guys were right. The more time in the saddle, the easier it gets. Also, the better quality bike, one that actually fits you, makes it so much more fun. Now, I can't wait until June 15th when I bring my granddaughter to NC for the weekend. I just need to find another nice trail.

TomD77 06-02-12 04:42 PM

I think you'll be surprised at how rapidly your body acclimates to biking and your ability increases. Given that, the main thing to do is enjoy yourself and be healthy and it sounds as if you're on the right track there.

Bikey Mikey 06-02-12 04:50 PM

Super Job!!!

BikinPotter 06-02-12 04:59 PM

Don't stay away! A name like nutty grandma means you'll fit right in!

Dudelsack 06-02-12 05:23 PM

:cheers:

This place can be pretty expensive, although I've rarely regretted a BF inspired purchase.

Fortunately cycling costs tend to be front loaded. Once you get what you need, you just have to buy new tubes and tires every now and then.

nuttygrandma 06-02-12 06:21 PM

I had so much fun realizing inclines were not that much of a challenge on that incline today that I'm considering going back with my granddaughter, especially since I figured out I don't have to park 1/2 mile away. I can't imagine having to purchase much more, maybe a different trunk rack. This bike just doesn't fit on the same way as the other bike and I've got some scratches now on my car that I'm gonna have to figure out how to fix. I think I'm gonna have to make some pedal cozies for transporting. When I put this bike up next to the other one, it's actually bigger and longer. That's why it looked funny on the car. Also, I bought a bar for putting the bike on the car. That bar was well worth the $30. So much easier fitting it on the rack. Other than that, I do need to get some bungy cords or something to secure the wheels when transport. I wonder how I' gonna fit 2 bikes on my carrier, too.

I'm still concern about my granddaughter's bike. She just completed a bike safety class so that won't be an issue. she's on a 20" bike and really needs a 24". I guess I'll have to look on Monday when I get up to Chesapeake, to see if she has deraileurs on her bike. I'm thinking she's already riding with gears. We were talking over the weekend about her needing a new bike and her birthday is coming up in August. She will be 11 and kids do grow so spending alot right now, is not a good economic decision. I think I'll put a bug in some peoples ears that we need to find a bike shop in Chesapeake that sell used kid bikes.

Dudelsack 06-02-12 06:57 PM

I dunno. I bought my daughter a Trek 3700 or something like that when she was 11. She's now 16 and it still fits. We just keep inching up the seat post and she does fine.

BikinPotter 06-02-12 07:06 PM

Pedal cozies....:love:

qcpmsame 06-02-12 07:24 PM

NG,
You cannot leave now, you are completely infected, as N+1 has gotten you. Now we need the pictures of the new bike and what pie you ate for the first ride celebration. Congratulations on the new bkie and many happy miles for the two of you.

Bill

DnvrFox 06-02-12 07:34 PM

We greatly enjoy you. Stick around. We love folks like you, just starting out.

nuttygrandma 06-02-12 08:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
No pie. I was just lucky to get a wrap sandwich and peanuts for dinner tonight. But I can ride to the DQ tomorrow for frozen treat. This month's blizzard special is Turtle Brownie.

OK, here's a pic of the bike:

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=253907

I'll figure out in the morning, how I will post pics from today's adventure.

teachme 06-02-12 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by nuttygrandma (Post 14305630)
No pie. I was just lucky to get a wrap sandwich and peanuts for dinner tonight. But I can ride to the DQ tomorrow for frozen treat. This month's blizzard special is Turtle Brownie.

OK, here's a pic of the bike:

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=253907

I'll figure out in the morning, how I will post pics from today's adventure.

Nice bike! :thumb:

bjjoondo 06-02-12 08:30 PM

JMHO, even with a Gel Seat, when you start going on looonger rides, (ie: 15 miles+), I'd HIGHLY recommend getting a pair of "padded" bicycle shorts or at least "padded bicycle underware", that you can use with ANY short pants!! They don't have to be super expensive, even the $20.00 Performance, CLASSIC II, womens shorts will make a BIG difference, again, jmho, ymmv, FYI. Have FUN on that new bike! :)

berner 06-02-12 08:45 PM

Bravo Grandma. You are one of us. Come Christmas or some other holiday, bake the boys at your new bike shop a pie. They are your new friends also.

RobertL 06-02-12 09:22 PM

Well done.

As said above, bike shorts are good. They don't have seams in tender places and the padding is beneficial even on a gel seat.

stapfam 06-03-12 12:41 AM

You have got the bug. There is no cure. You are doomed.

nuttygrandma 06-03-12 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by stapfam (Post 14306250)
You have got the bug. There is no cure. You are doomed.

That's exactly what a very dear friend is afraid of. I got a 1+ hour lecture last night that he's afraid that biking is going to consume me. What he is really afraid of is that I won't have time for him anymore and that I'm serious when I say "no, I don't want to go on a date with him". He thinks he's ready to take our relationship to another level and I think he thinks too much. Besides, I dance circles around him and he slows me down. I've been asking for a year for him to step into my world. I'm done asking. I travel and waste gas. I love fiber arts so I spin wool and go to a festival at least yearly. I love gadgets so I have computers and cameras and scanners, and e-readers and..... I have adult kids with kids so I have grandkids. So, back to travel. He spent a good hour telling all the reasons why his "health condition" won't allow him to bike, so just another enjoyment in life he's not willing to share. He's an intellitual that is highly degreed and he spends too much time researching everything. He's missing out on life.

If you don't know the downfalls and limitations, then you can do anything you want and enjoy it. Sometimes, information interferes with life. It's like a child who doesn't know he's not suppose to be able to do something at that level and he accomplishes it. What do we say about him? He's smart, learns quickly, maybe even think he has a genius IQ. What it really means is, he doesn't know he's not suppose to be able to accomplish that.

Dudelsack 06-03-12 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by nuttygrandma (Post 14306620)
That's exactly what a very dear friend is afraid of. I got a 1+ hour lecture last night that he's afraid that biking is going to consume me. What he is really afraid of is that I won't have time for him anymore and that I'm serious when I say "no, I don't want to go on a date with him". He thinks he's ready to take our relationship to another level and I think he thinks too much. Besides, I dance circles around him and he slows me down. I've been asking for a year for him to step into my world. I'm done asking. I travel and waste gas. I love fiber arts so I spin wool and go to a festival at least yearly. I love gadgets so I have computers and cameras and scanners, and e-readers and..... I have adult kids with kids so I have grandkids. So, back to travel. He spent a good hour telling all the reasons why his "health condition" won't allow him to bike, so just another enjoyment in life he's not willing to share. He's an intellitual that is highly degreed and he spends too much time researching everything. He's missing out on life.

If you don't know the downfalls and limitations, then you can do anything you want and enjoy it. Sometimes, information interferes with life. It's like a child who doesn't know he's not suppose to be able to do something at that level and he accomplishes it. What do we say about him? He's smart, learns quickly, maybe even think he has a genius IQ. What it really means is, he doesn't know he's not suppose to be able to accomplish that.

Dump him and run off with me.

Just kidding. My wife would not be amused.

nuttygrandma 06-03-12 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Dudelsack (Post 14306753)
Dump him and run off with me.

Just kidding. My wife would not be amused.

I'm sure she won't be. Life is too short so be nice to her. My motto for the past 10 years has been: Do the things you love and love the things you do.

qcpmsame 06-03-12 07:45 AM

Just tell him you have new friends here and you know of one with a "health condition", me, that bikes and does these things. He needs to get up off his rear end and learn to live life. He can research that by doing it. Welcome to the 50+ crowd, you'll love it here.

John_V 06-03-12 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by nuttygrandma
I got a 1+ hour lecture last night that he's afraid that biking is going to consume me.

At the rate you are going, it will. It did me. Don't fight it ... go with the flow.

Nice bike, by the way. My first bike, getting back into cycling, was a Sedona ST that the wife bought me for my 63rd birthday. That was 2 1/2 years and four bikes ago with lots of accessories since then. I'm just glad that my wife enjoys it as much as she has gone through two bikes and two trikes.

miss kenton 06-03-12 08:14 AM

NG: Woman to woman, here's how it works: Go ride your bike. Ride your bike as often as you like. Do not encourage him to join you. In fact, tell him it is your thing and you kind of prefer to go on your own. Ride often, ride long. Don't speak about your rides afterwards. Make cycling friends.

Suddenly one day, he will be out bike shopping. He will ask to come with you on your rides. If you decline his offers, he will follow you out on your ride declaring he just felt like going for a ride. He will be suggesting new routes. You will have a hard time getting out on your own. :twitchy:
Don't ask me how I know. :innocent:

nuttygrandma 06-03-12 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by John_V (Post 14306874)
At the rate you are going, it will. It did me. Don't fight it ... go with the flow.

Nice bike, by the way. My first bike, getting back into cycling, was a Sedona ST that the wife bought me for my 63rd birthday. That was 2 1/2 years and four bikes ago with lots of accessories since then. I'm just glad that my wife enjoys it as much as she has gone through two bikes and two trikes.

Go with the flow? That's just always how I've lived life. I just gave up the idea of purchasing a 7 foot adjustable triangle loom and bought the bike instead. I can't have both and the bike won out. At least I won't be bored this summer and during the winter, I'll just support the authors of the world who have promised me they will always have a book for me to read.

So, the Sedona was a good choice? I don't remember ever having a bike that handles as easily as this one, not even the Schwinn touring bike back in the 80's. I'm just impressed that I now understand those 21 gear speeds and have found some of my cadence. I'm sure I'll still have some growing obstacles to overcome but that's part of enjoying challenges. I've also learned that my biggest obstacle is me. I just limited myself, to a certain point but really enjoy the self-discovery of what I can really do when I face obstacles.

nuttygrandma 06-03-12 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by miss kenton (Post 14306945)
NG: Woman to woman, here's how it works: Go ride your bike. Ride your bike as often as you like. Do not encourage him to join you. In fact, tell him it is your thing and you kind of prefer to go on your own. Ride often, ride long. Don't speak about your rides afterwards. Make cycling friends.

Suddenly one day, he will be out bike shopping. He will ask to come with you on your rides. If you decline his offers, he will follow you out on your ride declaring he just felt like going for a ride. He will be suggesting new routes. You will have a hard time getting out on your own. :twitchy:
Don't ask me how I know. :innocent:

Well that would be the biggest shock of my life. He won't step into my world because he's never been in a serious relationship in his life. I told him back on New Year's Day, I will admit he loves me but he's not in love with me. Dang, he has a Phd in History with a minor in Psychology and he just doesn't understand relationships. I've been dealing with people with high IQs, it seems all my life. He is typical. He just hasn't experienced life. They say you can't teach old dogs new tricks but I say you can. He has never been trained in how the female mind works. He reads something and thinks it applies to all. Life just doesn't work that way.

I won't even think of encouraging him to join me. I know how his mind works, too. You are right. I will challenge him more if I tell him I don't want him to join me. He just doesn't understand the importance of keeping joints moving, especially if you have arthritis but his biggest excuse is what bike riding would do to a certain part of his male anatomy. And, if I hear "my urologist told me...." again, I swear I will stangle every urologist I encounter for the rest of my working career. Thank goodness I work in a home care office as a clinical manager and don't encounter physicians face to face anymore. I guess that's one of the nice things about paying your dues. I don't have to be a road warrior anymore, making home visits.

I'm just waiting for him to tell me there is a rail-trail in his town. I know it's there but he hasn't figured it out yet. When he does, then I'll know he is close to the idea of suggesting new routes. As it was, he was a little upset with me last night because I was already over half way to his house when I went to the bike shop. No, I did not even think of him while I was at the bike shop.

Colonelmom 06-03-12 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by nuttygrandma (Post 14307034)
Well that would be the biggest shock of my life. He won't step into my world because he's never been in a serious relationship in his life. I told him back on New Year's Day, I will admit he loves me but he's not in love with me. Dang, he has a Phd in History with a minor in Psychology and he just doesn't understand relationships. I've been dealing with people with high IQs, it seems all my life. He is typical. He just hasn't experienced life. They say you can't teach old dogs new tricks but I say you can. He has never been trained in how the female mind works. He reads something and thinks it applies to all. Life just doesn't work that way.

I won't even think of encouraging him to join me. I know how his mind works, too. You are right. I will challenge him more if I tell him I don't want him to join me. He just doesn't understand the importance of keeping joints moving, especially if you have arthritis but his biggest excuse is what bike riding would do to a certain part of his male anatomy. And, if I hear "my urologist told me...." again, I swear I will stangle every urologist I encounter for the rest of my working career. Thank goodness I work in a home care office as a clinical manager and don't encounter physicians face to face anymore. I guess that's one of the nice things about paying your dues. I don't have to be a road warrior anymore, making home visits.

I'm just waiting for him to tell me there is a rail-trail in his town. I know it's there but he hasn't figured it out yet. When he does, then I'll know he is close to the idea of suggesting new routes. As it was, he was a little upset with me last night because I was already over half way to his house when I went to the bike shop. No, I did not even think of him while I was at the bike shop.

Keep doing what you enjoy... I've learned the hard way... lost too many years of enjoying live waiting for "him" to join me... Now I pedal with my friends and have a blast... ON your granddaughter's bike... remember the lesson you just learned about bike fit... a good bike shop will help put your granddaughter on a bike that fits.. but plus has room to grow.. but not too much... one of the shops... even has a "grow" program.. where if you buy the bike from them... they'll buy it back when the child out grows.. and put the credit towards a new bike... plus you might check around with some of the local cycling clubs / teams.. often there are junior who have quickly out grown their bikes.. and parents want to see another child ride.. so they'll sell very cheaply.... verses having the bike sit and gather dust...