Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

We Dont Have Mountains In Michigan but...........

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-12, 03:31 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts

Locally, this is our #2 hill and this is how I did just about an hour ago:

https://app.strava.com/rides/10237819

This hill is a similar to a little and twisty mountain pass that is on the front end of a very hilly 14mi run that I love to toss in during midweek rides and especially windy days.

Now, I'm off to the shower....
Old 06-06-12, 03:56 PM

Bikes: Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
Locally, this is our #2 hill and this is how I did just about an hour ago:

https://app.strava.com/rides/10237819

This hill is a similar to a little and twisty mountain pass that is on the front end of a very hilly 14mi run that I love to toss in during midweek rides and especially windy days.

Now, I'm off to the shower....
22 years of living in Central Michigan, I never found any mountains either but was always told there was Iron Mountain. Just never got that far up in the UP to see it. What the rest of the state has are when I always called little rises in the terrain.

You live in a very beautiful area/state. There are times I wonder why I ever left but then winter comes around and I remember very quickly.
Old 06-06-12, 06:15 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Originally Posted by nuttygrandma
22 years of living in Central Michigan, I never found any mountains either but was always told there was Iron Mountain. Just never got that far up in the UP to see it. What the rest of the state has are when I always called little rises in the terrain.

You live in a very beautiful area/state. There are times I wonder why I ever left but then winter comes around and I remember very quickly.
Our area here in Boyne City is very, very hilly. You cant ride in any direction for more than a few miles without having to climb one. Great for conditioning. And yes, gorgeous.
Old 06-06-12, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Huron Mountains and Porcipine Mountains. Highest point in Michigan is Mt. Arvon at 1979ft(just a little west of the Huron Mountains). And hey, in college I climbed Mt. Pleasant whilst drunk!
Old 06-06-12, 06:58 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Looks like a pretty challenging climb to me! Good work,
Old 06-06-12, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by social suicide
Huron Mountains and Porcipine Mountains. Highest point in Michigan is Mt. Arvon at 1979ft(just a little west of the Huron Mountains). And hey, in college I climbed Mt. Pleasant whilst drunk!
Yup, been there. But seriously, thems aint mountains

However, I would cringe at riding the Ontonagon Gorge for the first time.
Old 06-06-12, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Looks like a pretty challenging climb to me! Good work,
Thanx, it regularly kicks my butt.
Old 06-06-12, 07:47 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
It's a cat 4 climb. I haven't found any cat 4 climbs in easy cycling distance of my house. Google streets didn't photograph that road. Too bad. It's fun to see what these roads look like.

Old 06-06-12, 08:14 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
That's the route that DALMAC takes out of Boyne City on its way over to Walloon Lake. I think it's easier than taking State to Old State. Once upon a time, that was a first-gear hill for me; but I charged right up it last year.
Old 06-07-12, 12:40 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
If you live on the flat stuff- any slope is going to hurt.

Heres our local terrain and it is offroad. The slipping bit is where the garmin did not register the slow speed I was going at and "Slipped" when it caught up.

May look evil but the climbs are only 600ft or so but are steep but the downhills are Fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Longman and butts brow.jpg (76.6 KB, 17 views)

Spike Milligan
Old 06-07-12, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
That's the route that DALMAC takes out of Boyne City on its way over to Walloon Lake. I think it's easier than taking State to Old State. Once upon a time, that was a first-gear hill for me; but I charged right up it last year.
The two hills going out M75 to Walloon Village are much easier than the Wildwood Harbor hill that stares you in the face when leaving through the back route of Boyne City. I run those two frequently on a personal TT I call, "The Boyne Triangle" where you put a 20mi loop ride of M75 and connect them with 131 from Walloon to Boyne Falls. That's a fun ride.

There is only a few hills that stretch more than a mile in distance. The worst two that I know of are the one south of Boyne Falls on 131 (passing lane for semi's) and "The Wall" coming out the back of East Jordan. Both are 2 mile runs.

ETA: I ride a 40/24 low gear and going to improve that with a 39 on a new chainset in the coming weeks. Last night's run up Wildwood Harbor was in 2nd and 3rd until that last turn-and-burn where I had to grab granny for a ride. OUCH.
Old 06-07-12, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by stapfam

Heres our local terrain and it is offroad. The slipping bit is where the garmin did not register the slow speed I was going at and "Slipped" when it caught up.

May look evil but the climbs are only 600ft or so but are steep but the downhills are Fun.
You would love our Avalanche Mountain trail that is about 5 blocks from my backdoor. You can go single or double. If you choose the double, get ready for a grind. I gave my MTB away
Old 06-07-12, 07:56 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
You would love our Avalanche Mountain trail that is about 5 blocks from my backdoor. You can go single or double. If you choose the double, get ready for a grind. I gave my MTB away
No mountain bikes, thanks. I am rebuilding the bike in my avatar, from the frame up. Assuming it's done in time for DALMAC, that's what I'll use, and it'll only have a road double on it. After doing The Wall for something like 18 years, I finally stopped being masochistic and started doing the Advance route instead. Much prettier and none of that crazy 22% cr@p that pretty much requires a triple if you're on a recumbent.

The Wall is one of those signature-type hills that ride organizers seem to always need to include; you know, to prove... something, I don't know what. It's 400 feet, which is tall by Michigan standards. But the worst thing about it is the 3-5% lead-up for two miles before you even see the steep part. I've seen strong riders come around the curve, see the real hill, look down and see that they're already in 1st gear, then get off and walk the last half-mile to the main climb.

Attached Images
File Type: gif
walltopo.gif (94.3 KB, 15 views)
Old 06-07-12, 08:05 PM

No mountain bikes, thanks. I am rebuilding the bike in my avatar, from the frame up. Assuming it's done in time for DALMAC, that's what I'll use, and it'll only have a road double on it. After doing The Wall for something like 18 years, I finally stopped being masochistic and started doing the Advance route instead. Much prettier and none of that crazy 22% cr@p that pretty much requires a triple if you're on a recumbent.

The Wall is one of those signature-type hills that ride organizers seem to always need to include; you know, to prove... something, I don't know what. It's 400 feet, which is tall by Michigan standards. But the worst thing about it is the 3-5% lead-up for two miles before you even see the steep part. I've seen strong riders come around the curve, see the real hill, look down and see that they're already in 1st gear, then get off and walk the last half-mile to the main climb.

I refuse to do the wall. There is no need when you have the Advance road. I drive the back way to EJ and over the wall every day. That 2mi grade is tough enough.

However, I do like to climb Wildwood Harbor hill from Park St in Boyne and there is that big one south of Boyne Falls that is another monster....but nothing is like the wall and as you said, every ride organizer has a strange need to put that in the route.

We have the Bikers For Breast Cancer a week from Saturday and the Wall is in their 60mi ride. I'm doing the 42 and crossing on the Ferry.
Old 06-08-12, 12:58 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

None of our local hills are Higher than 800ft above sea level and most do start from around sea level. Off road and the easy climb onto the hills is up Long Man as in my thumbnail in my previous post. Once up there it is good mountain biking. But road hills are almost as bad when you don't have 22/32 gearing. They are a challenge and when I got Boreas with a compact crank--I started on the 8% slopes- then the 10-12% and then the 15%ers. Think if I had done the steep ones right from the start- I would have gone back to mountain biking. Or at least on the bike. Gearing was 34/27 and just looking for a bit lower now so got the Tiagra 12/30 cassette. Favourite bike for long rides on this terrain is the TCR-C----with a triple and 12/25 cassette.

But locally we have a hill like your wall leading up to Beachy Head. 3 to 5% for a long time and then a short 10%. Then 3 to5 for 1/2 mile and the final climb again at 10% I always make certain I have a tailwind "IF" I do this climb as it is open and exposed and boring. The only good bit is the steep bits.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-08-12, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by stapfam
There was a time when I didnt want to do hills. Somehow and somewhere that all changed.....and there is ample supply for good variation around here.
Old 06-08-12, 04:36 AM

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
I'm on my way up for my second Michigan Mountain Mayhem today. I've been to the Porkie's, the Rocky's, the Blue Ridge, the Allegheny's and the Alps, tomorrow afternoon it will feel just like mountains to me!.

Marc
Old 06-08-12, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by irwin7638
I'm on my way up for my second Michigan Mountain Mayhem today. I've been to the Porkie's, the Rocky's, the Blue Ridge, the Allegheny's and the Alps, tomorrow afternoon it will feel just like mountains to me!.

Marc
Our guys here in Boyne are the organizers. Excellent event if you like MTB. Hope you have a great race and finish strong!
Old 06-08-12, 06:06 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We are blessed in the Adirondacks with some real climbs, one of the signature ones is Whiteface. I have participated in the race up it several times, not this year - too out of shape but may come back to it next year. Hill climbing int he North East is a real addiction.

Attached Images
Tallwhiteface.jpg (33.9 KB, 12 views)
Old 06-09-12, 03:47 PM

Bikes: Surly Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice ride! No hills like that near me either, but you can be proud of the ride.
Old 06-09-12, 06:07 PM

Bikes: LOOKING

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Michigan is a great place to bike ride in Fall also with color tours! Tunnel of trees along M22? up North is beautiful!! Had spinal cord tumor surgery in October 2011 and hoping to be able to ride outside by Fall 2012. Riding the recumbant bikes at local gym thus far for recovery. Cheers, Gary

www.indiegogo.com/projects/93028
Old 06-09-12, 06:14 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MICHBACHELOR
Michigan is a great place to bike ride in Fall also with color tours! Tunnel of trees along M22? up North is beautiful!! Had spinal cord tumor surgery in October 2011 and hoping to be able to ride outside by Fall 2012. Riding the recumbant bikes at local gym thus far for recovery. Cheers, Gary

Good luck to you Gary, hope you have a speedy recovery.
Old 06-11-12, 04:53 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by social suicide
Don't forget that the Lake is at about 600 ft above sealevel, so the actual height of Arvon is only about 1,379 above Lake level.
Old 06-11-12, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by MICHBACHELOR

Yeah, used to ride "Scenic Route #1"....or shore drive we used to call it. I graduated HS in Harbor Springs back during the bike boom 70s. Love the area.

Hope you recovery quickly and successfully.
Old 06-14-12, 08:51 AM

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
Here's a shot from last weekend's Michigan Mountain Mayhem

That's not exactly an undulation they are walking.

Marc
Attached Images
060912133313_01.jpg (19.6 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by irwin7638; 06-14-12 at 10:56 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.