Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Bike MS (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/823845-bike-ms.html)

Blanchje 06-08-12 08:04 AM

Bike MS

Headed out early tomorrow morning to ride the West Michigan Breakaway for MS. My longest ride ever was a metric last year so I'm shooting for doing the 75 mile loop tomorrow. I may try the full 100 if I have anything left. One of my best friends was diagnosed with MS a few years back and I excited to be able to do something to help. I managed to get $1000 in donations and I'm taping a picture of him on my bars so he can go with me.

qcpmsame 06-08-12 08:08 AM

Good luck and safe riding in your Bike MS adventure. Nice to see a good charity ride being done.

Bill

John_V 06-08-12 11:25 AM

I have been doing the MS 150 Citrus Tour, with my cycling team, for the past few years. It's for a great cause and I look forward to doing this ride every year. Good luck with your ride and don't overdo it, especially if you are doing the 50 mile return trip the next day.

Blanchje 06-08-12 11:39 AM

This ride is set up so it finishes at the starting point. The second day option is a loop going the other direction. I can only ride tomorrow so I only need to conserve enough energy to make it back to the start.

one_beatnik 06-08-12 03:59 PM

Good for you Blanchje! The MS150 rides are fun, well supported and very informative. I've enjoyed everyone I've done. Ride with someone! It makes lots of difference in taking your mind off how far you've gone or have left. Just start up conversations. Rides are more about the people anyway. Have fun with it no matter how far you ride!

stapfam 06-08-12 11:44 PM

It is surprising what you can do with little training. Couple of weeks ago I did a 100 miler with very little mileage behind me and and just turning the pedals over the winter. Just take it steady and eat and drink. It did hurt by the end but I even surprised myself. Mind you- it did take a few days to recover.

Rwc5830 06-09-12 04:24 AM

Good luck Blanchej on your ride. There's nothing more special than doing something like that in recognition of a dear friend or loved one. I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

qcpmsame 06-09-12 08:17 AM

Your post inspired me to find a worthy charity ride here. Our club West Florida Wheelmen) news letter for this week had a link to a ride I registered for this morning. I'll shoot for the metric century as I have until this fall to prepare and get my stamina up form the surgeries and such.

Here is the link for others interested in a NW Florida ride worth supporting:
http://www.active.com/cycling/milton...tury-ride-2012
The charity is Big Brothers/Big Sisters of Northwest Florida, a good group. It memorializes Dr. Fenner McConnell, a local M.E. that ride and did Tri's in the 70's and 80's he was killed while riding sadly. A loss as he was a really nice person and bicycling advocate. I had the privilege of running along side him a few times at races he wasn't contesting and he inspired me to keep on trying even though I am a Clyde supreme.

Bill

Blanchje 06-09-12 06:50 PM

What great experience. Ended up doing the century route. Actually rode 106 miles because I'm an idiot and missed a turn. 42 miles farther than my previous best. It got into the upper 80's and the last 20 miles were straight into a 16-20 mph wind. That was brutal. I did a good job eating but I got dehydrated. I drank like crazy but was sweating it all out. My skin was a solid crust of salt when I got home. I think that is about all I have. The cool part is I got way more than I gave. Great people.

roccobike 06-09-12 08:22 PM

Congrats on the Century! Great job riding and supporting a worthy cause.

qcpmsame 06-09-12 08:24 PM

Well done on completing the Century. Have some Pie for your accomplishment! Nice report is now due.

Bill

stapfam 06-10-12 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by qcpmsame (Post 14335400)
Well done on completing the Century. Have some Pie for your accomplishment! Nice report is now due.

Bill

Most definitely--in fact two slices of pie are in order.

Bikey Mikey 06-10-12 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Blanchje (Post 14335160)
...42 miles farther than my previous best. ...

The Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything.

You definitely get 2 pieces of pie.