Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Taking my parrot on the bike (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/825327-taking-my-parrot-bike.html)

LDB 03-24-13 03:48 PM

A few days ago I went to my LBS. A block before getting there I saw a person on a bike and on the handlebar sat a bird that I think was blue, red and yellow and about 2 feet from top of head to tip of the tailfeathers. It was such a quick glimpse I'm not positive of any of it but in the second I looked it turned it's head so I presume it was a living bird.

Bikey Mikey 03-24-13 07:27 PM

Okay, how do you keep the bird poo off your back?

flychomperfly 03-25-13 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals (Post 15422484)

thank you! interesting video--had not seen it before. clever perch. it looks as if the macaw is flighted and tethered--i was pretty sure i saw a glint off the line, but i cannot tell from the vid if there are two unclipped wings or not.

flychomperfly 03-25-13 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by wthensler (Post 15426073)
Use the pack. We have three parrots (one Moluccan Cockatoo) and we like to take them outside, as they clearly enjoy it. But we take steps to safeguard them as well. I would think your Umbrella would enjoy it......

for those who feel more comfortable with the bird encased, or if you need rain protection, those packs are indeed wonderful! unfortunately, like most great outdoor equipment, they're pretty costly. when they first came out, they were only around 100 dollars, and we were going to get one, but other things got in the way. by the time we decided to buy, they had gone way up. i don't know if they even offer nylon mesh any more on the packs, but one reason they are now so expensive is because they use a steel mesh (parrots are known to chew like dogs through anything placed near their beaks).

so, yah, i agree--they do work--and they sub as a cage/carrier/rain protection/night sleeper if it's a long ride. and it just dawned on me that even though we like being able to have our bird out, if we have 2 people riding on a longer ride, one of us can strap the cage to the back of the bike in case we do hit rain. gotta get one of those packs!! lol

thanks for the pic :)

Mountain Mitch 03-25-13 11:15 AM

I used to drive with my Cockatiel loose in the truck. She'd get on the dash, spread her wings and pretend she was flying. I thought the funniest part was when she'd bank for corners!

flychomperfly 03-25-13 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey (Post 15426962)
Okay, how do you keep the bird poo off your back?

lol -- you had better not be drinking hot coffee when you read the answer to this one! don't know if you saw our video, but the bird is wearing a 'flight suit', which contains a 'bird diaper.' yes, a diaper. :p

our birds are poop-trained in the house, but they weren't trained from birth (people only recently are talking about poop-training baby birds), so we trained late and they were trained to go on any 'approved' perch (we hadn't anticipated a bicycle perch at the time). plus, even though more isolated on the body, when we shift (literally and figuratively) as we ride, if we don't 'call it' (we always try to), those are unexpected to a passenger on the body. so, they have a hard time avoiding 'accidents.' therefore, we removed the variables and just put the diaper on--it's automatically part of the 'flight suit,' which is one of the standard harnesses available for leashing a pet bird.

leob1 03-25-13 01:21 PM

This is all serious?

ka0use 03-25-13 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by flychomperfly (Post 15429385)
lol -- you had better not be drinking hot coffee when you read the answer to this one! don't know if you saw our video, but the bird is wearing a 'flight suit', which contains a 'bird diaper.' yes, a diaper. :p

our birds are poop-trained in the house, but they weren't trained from birth (people only recently are talking about poop-training baby birds), so we trained late and they were trained to go on any 'approved' perch (we hadn't anticipated a bicycle perch at the time). plus, even though more isolated on the body, when we shift (literally and figuratively) as we ride, if we don't 'call it' (we always try to), those are unexpected to a passenger on the body. so, they have a hard time avoiding 'accidents.' therefore, we removed the variables and just put the diaper on--it's automatically part of the 'flight suit,' which is one of the standard harnesses available for leashing a pet bird.

there are bird vests.

BlazingPedals 03-25-13 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by flychomperfly (Post 15429202)
thank you! interesting video--had not seen it before. clever perch. it looks as if the macaw is flighted and tethered--i was pretty sure i saw a glint off the line, but i cannot tell from the vid if there are two unclipped wings or not.

I was searching through ride videos on Youtube a few days before I saw this thread, and it was purely by chance that I saw it.

Bikey Mikey 03-25-13 05:18 PM

I kind of figured that the flight suit acted like or contained a diaper. I did watch the video. No worries about the coffee--I don't partake, but it could well have been a different liquid, water, soda, tea.

hguenther 03-25-14 08:00 PM

Hi All; I biked about 3100 miles with my Yellow Naped Amazon Parrot Barney last year. Here are instructions on how I modified a bike and made a cage for it. How To | Barney the Biking Bird You can also follow our adventures here https://www.facebook.com/BarneyTheBikingBird

Hope that you give it a try, it is a hoot :)

Feel free to ask questions.

Herb

spdracr39 03-26-14 07:22 AM

We saw a guy riding on the path here ( in Florida this week) with a large parrot sitting contently on the handle bars. We have seen him standing around letting the kids pet the bird and hold it. It was odd but cool. Personally I wouldn't do it but I don't drive with my dog in my lap either.

Mvcrash 03-26-14 07:37 AM

I used to drive with Moishe, my Yellow Naped Amazon sitting on the steering wheel. Bike ride is something I never thought about.

crazyb 03-26-14 02:33 PM

How did the pirates do it?

Sixty Fiver 03-26-14 03:07 PM

I had an African Grey named George who loved cruising in the car so he could whistle and make car calls to all the pretty girls.

Talouse will go anywhere with me with the harness and will get tucked in under my jacket when we are in higher density areas.

We now have a small Conure that will get harness trained... Pearl is happy when she is with her people and does almost everything with us.

Gerryattrick 03-26-14 03:46 PM

Just had to respond to Sixty Fiver to get our avatars on the same page, even if in the wrong order.

Daspydyr 03-26-14 04:56 PM

You need to wear an eye patch when riding with your "parrot." Shout ARRRRGGGGHHH, scurvy dog when passing and fill the bottles with grog!